My front light are not working

Stuart85

Hi I have a Honda cbf 125 2009 and the front lights are not working I have checked the fuses and replaced the main wiring loom and the light wiring loom and replaced the bulbs please help and the dashboard lights and back lights

Welcome to TMBF mate. ........ 8-)

I think you need to break out the voltmeter and start tracing the voltage through.....rather than just replacing parts. You'll obviously need a wiring diagram to help with this..... :wink:

Ok thank you someone said it could be the alternator

That may have been me on your other post, but it was the rectifier that I mentioned. im sure CBF take a direct feed off of there to run the front lights. Could be worth a look. It going to be a case of arm yourself with a multimeter and a wiring diagram and work yourself through the system

When I brought the bike off of this guy the back light was working and the front but he wired a wire from the back light to the front light and the was plugs missing and cuts on the wiring loom so I brought one from eBay and I have brought a mulitmeter

When I brought the bike off of this guy the back light was working and the front but he wired a wire from the back light to the front light and the was plugs missing and cuts on the wiring loom so I brought one from eBay and I have brought a mulitmeter

This is a vital bit of information to try and help someone without beingn physically able to see the bike .

People will throw out lots of suggestions to fix it without basic fault finding first.

And my first question is the history of the bike .

Well if it was working and now it isn't, then something has gone U/S. My bet is connector has come adrift or earth has gone open circuit. Sometimes, wiggling can be your friend. Unlikely to be alternator if other stuff is still working. Use fastbob's wiring diagram to suss out likely point of failure. But I still reckon bad earth.

Clue..... Is the horn still working?

Yeah, what Speedy said , look at the green part of the diagram , see how everything lighting wise depends on the battery being earthed . Check that the black lead from the battery is bolted securely to the frame with no rust or green oxide blocking the flow of current. Clean it with sandpaper if necessary and replace. It's worth a shot and it won't cost anything.

Ok I will try thank you also my nutural light is always on

See if the neutral switch is connected, you might have missed it when you put the new loom on . It will be a single wire somewhere near the front sprocket usually.

What would cause the neutral light to always be on please

Well, as I have said , you might not have connected the wire from the switch to the loom or it might be that the switch is faulty . This is where it's located, its the black plastic thing with the green wire . Pop it out , figure out what it does and replace it if necessary, it might just be worn out.

1051534342_wp_ss_20181130_0001(2).png.40a6524f322bf6a0f68a2b57f58e21e4.png

Yes it could be the switch , it could be anything . What you have to do is read the manual , study the wiring diagram, take the bike apart in order to gain access to the wiring loom , find out what's wrong and either fix it or replace it . A multimeter would be helpful but you can rig a simple circuit tester from a light bulb , some wires and a couple of crocodile clips. We'd all like to solve your problem but at the end of the day you have a massive advantage because you have the bike in front of you . Just keep at it , work logically and post some pictures. Motorcycle mechanics is very much a hands on process and unfortunately all we have to go on are words . Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Should oil come out when you take the alternator off please let me know as soon as you can please

. I think you probably mean the alternator cover . Have you read the manual yet ? If not , get a cheap washing up bowl ready just in case . Generally alternators don't run in oil but sometimes there is a little seepage . Have you got a multi meter and tested the output voltage before you go pulling things apart ?