Tour buddy wanted

BabyD

Looking for an individual or couple to join me on a 12 day tour down to southern Spain (about 45mins - 1hr) south of Alicante, I can offer free accomodation as its a family owned property (it has a large pool)

Dates are Sat 23rd March 19 - 3rd April 19

Using Euro tunnel cost is around £80 return will be stopping over on way there & way back @ about £60 a night

distance is about 1300 miles each way, will be using property as "basecamp"

****THIS HAS BEEN POSPONED UNTIL ANOTHER TIME****

Edited by BabyD

I'd love to join you , but can only ride for about 45mins at a time nowadays. If nobody else interested, think about putting bike in my transit van and driving two bikes and luggage to Alicante?

I'd think carefully about riding there from Calais, I did it in 2016 with a mate and it was the most miserable couple of days I think I've ever had on a motorcycle. It rained pretty much all the way to Pau. If the weather had been kinder to us it might have been a little better but I just remember it being such a slog.

On the upside, the Pyrenees were amazing.

If I was to go to Spain again, I would get the ferry to Santander or Bilbao. Sure its expensive, but at least I would be able to put my feet up, have a few beers and get some rest before enjoying those awesome roads.

The ferry will knock the one way miles from circa 1,300 to 477 and this will pay dividends in a faster recovery time. I would weigh that in the balance. 1300 miles over two days is more than a slog. offset petrol prices. overnight hotel. meals. (plus tyre rubber) and.. the high risk of adverse weather before reaching a summer climate. against the cost of the ferry. look at the economie crossing.

a breakdown of prices. using your dates.

single rider & bike

ferry to spain £95

return - sunday £95 or Monday £119

seat £10 cabin 1-4 people £110

for the return seat £10 cabin 1-2 people £85

this based on your dates.. best think it over FAST as these are already selling out.

so... minimum you would pay for the return ferry is £429. solo. cheaper if you find someone to go with you and split the cabin price in half. £311.50 each. (I reckon)

tunnel and hotel already takes a £200 bite out of that £429 or £311.50

I have done the journey by car in 2 days, I'm open to extending the tour a few extra days as I think the journey there & back is all part of the experience not just a cause to an end

at 250 miles a day as been said you would need to turn around straight away when you get there

I have done the journey by car in 2 days, I'm open to extending the tour a few extra days as I think the journey there & back is all part of the experience not just a cause to an end

at 250 miles a day as been said you would need to turn around straight away when you get there

Yeh .. I'd need longer :D it's a blinding offer I'm surprised no ones took you up on it :thumb:

Looking for an individual or couple to join me on a 10 day tour down to southern Spain (about 45mins - 1hr) south of Alicante, I can offer free accomodation as its a family owned property (it has a large pool)

Dates are Sat 23rd March 19 - 01st April 19

Using Euro tunnel cost is around £80 return will be stopping over on way there & way back @ about £60 a night

distance is about 1300 miles each way, will be using property as "basecamp"

I rode down through France at that time of year in 2012. Temperatures hovered just above freezing during the day. One motorway service area was a sheet of ice. Heading for Mende and riding up to higher ground, we came across snow which had blown across the road from an adjoining field. That's where I lost the front wheel and finished up flying home from Perpignan with a knackered shoulder. :(

So, the trip sounds like a great offer, but not for me at that time of year ! Good luck to any takers ! :D

We did a trip to Torrevieja a few years ago in Sept.

3 of us (bandit12, fazer1000, Blade)

We left Brum on a Friday morning (after I'd done a 10 hour nightshift)

We did Dover/Calais then used tolls/motorways virtually the whole way.

We stayed in Formule1's in Orleans and Perpignon.

We were in the bar in El Chapperal Sunday afternoon :cheers:

We did the same on the way back :shock:

We didn't/couldn't ride the bikes at all while we were there!

It was hard work! very mentally and physically draining!

I loved it :lol: It was probably a once in a lifetime thing,

I'm not sure I could do it again now

I’ve just done a ferrie crossing quote & for 2 persons + 2 bikes sharing a bunk bed cabin it’s £333 return per person as follows:

Outbound Portsmouth - Bilbao via Roscoff 2 night crossing (due to time of year) Sun 24th March depart 22:30 arrive Tuesday 07:45

Inbound Bilbao - Portsmouth 1 night crossing Thurs 4th April 4th depart 15:30 arrive Friday 14:15

Average temps for Spain late March early April 16-19 degrees

OR could do ferrie there & tunnel back I’m open to suggestions as it all adds to the whole experience

I have done a lot of touring on motorcycles over the years in France and it’s is a large country to cover and would agree the posts regarding daily distances.

I like the sound of ferry down and ride back as that will give you more flexibility. The only 2 reservations I would have at the moment are the weather in Northern France in March which has already been pointed out, and would undoubtedly slow you down. Also your return is over Brexit weekend. Who knows the possible aftermath and chaos at the cross channel ports around that time.

On a more positive side though, I could possibly get you 10% off Brittany Ferries bookings via my club voyage membership, and I have a place less than 10 miles off the via Michelin preferred route about 300 miles south of Calais which could be a stop over.

It appears we are both in Buckinghamshire and have Ducati’s, so if you would like a chat PM me your contact details.

• 2 months later...