Ultimate cheap commuter vehicle suggestions.

60 miles each way, mix of dual carriage, country B road and motorway.

Public transport complete no goer as rural location.

Might do it on a bike sometimes, thinking nc700x or cb500x to replace the GS which is being sold anyway as 60+ mpg from the hondas.

More than likely it will be car regularly especially over winter. So suggestions for cheap second hand. High as mpg as possible, reliable, don't care about looks features etc. Our current mx5 is 35mpg on a good day so far too expensive on fuel. Hybrid, diesel, small petrol? Cheap new pcp?

Should be temporary but still likely for a few months. What would you use?

Triumph Tiger 800 is a great bike for that range of riding. I use mine for just such a purpose though not everyday as I'm a bit of a fair weather rider. Best of all it is British.

I do really like the look of the tigers. Have sat on one in a dealership, seemed very comfy. fuelly seems to suggest mid 40's mpg, what do you get from yours Mike?

Triumph Tiger 800 is a great bike for that range of riding. I use mine for just such a purpose though not everyday as I'm a bit of a fair weather rider. Best of all it is British.

I do really like the look of the tigers. Have sat on one in a dealership, seemed very comfy. fuelly seems to suggest mid 40's mpg, what do you get from yours Mike?

I have only done 3800 miles since I bought it last August (as I said I'm a fair weather rider and have three cars as well) and over that time it averages 51.28mpg. I have had up to 74mpg between fill ups and the worst I got was 45mpg but that was a short fill after some spirited riding on one of my IAM observed rides. Mostly it is around the mid 60s

I tried out an NC750x earlier in the year and it was a lovely bike. very low C.o.G with its under-seat tank.. and handy with its fake tank storage. Similar in some ways to the F800 I had. All its weight is carried under the seat.. this makes it feel super light and extremely stable and manoeuvrable. There was a DCT version.. but its an older generation and you should test ride first. see if you like it. might be better to concentrate on the manual version. The 700 is very similar and a great commuter that people also tour on. The DCT version is all about squeezing every mile out of the petrol tank. High 80s are easily achievable. And theres no reason you couldn't get close to that with the manual version by riding it as if it is a DCT.. clicking up the gears as fast as you can.

To be honest i found it so easy to ride.. that some more experienced bikers might find it dull. but.. it depends on what you want from a bike. Its a great 'first big bike' if you ask me.. particularly for someone nervous about weighty bikes and thinking of heading down the adventure bike pathway.

• Like 1

Cheers [mention]Gerontious[/mention]. A neighbour had one and swore by it as a useable practical bike especially with the tank storage. I'll go check one out. Not worried about it being dull. Frugality of it is attractive.

If thinking of cars.

Lisa has a 107 Peugeot. Same as Citroen c1 etc.

Great little car.

Cheap/No tax. Cheap insurance and really easy to run.

I love it.

Will do 90 on the motorway. Albeit shakes a bit and you do get odd looks as your passing them with 4 in the car...lol

Around 50 mpg depending if it's me treating it like a go kart or Lisa like a normal person.

I said to Lisa. I'll take the 107 to coast tonight (me n kids going. R lass out Saturday with friends)

It's only the fact I'm taking a fair bit of Xmas cramp accross that we are going in mine.

I would genuinely recommend them.

One of my friends has a NC750x and he uses it as his "daily bike". That would have been my second choice after the Tiger, but I was keen on a British bike.

I say I don't mind dull but I can't help thinking the tiger would have more long term interest. It's certainly the better looking of the two in my mind.

Cheers [mention]NeilM[/mention]. I'll have a look at the 107. Got a feeling I may have had one as a rental at some point, is it rear engined or am i thinking of something else?

If you're after a car then I'd suggest a Mk1 Toyota Yaris. We've got 2 of the 1.0 litre engines and they've been bulletproof. Just watch for corrosion at the back of the sills as some rot and some don't.

Find one made in Japan (there will be a sticker on the windscreen). They were built in both Japan & France and the Japanese ones are much better put together.

The Mk1 1.0 has a 4 cylinder engine and is a light car. The later version is heavier and uses a 3 pot engine which is nowhere near as durable.

I use one as a runabout and flog it to death but it just won't die. It's done over 110k and uses no oil or water, still gives me 50mpg and uses very little by way of tyres or consumables.

These are the cars in question mate

Screenshot_20181207-150543.thumb.jpg.3d9abd209aab010ab1ef9f79b32937f0.jpg

Not rear engined.

Nippy round town. Very small but ideal for a short commute.

Bizzare photo I know. Feel I should explain.

It's at Elland rd. Took the pic as evidence as aware was very close to the double yellows. The bast*rds have a field day when the match is on......

Screenshot_20181207-150543.jpg

Not rear engined.

It's at Elland rd. Took the pic as evidence as aware was very close to the double yellows. The bast*rds have a field day when the match is on......

Our daughter has the Toyota version of that, the 107, C1 and Aygo are basically the same car. She's does Chester to Crewe every day and it's been pretty good. The only thing is the 3 pot engine can use a lot of oil and the early one were prone to clutch issues. Later models had an updated clutch and can cover huge mileages with no problems.

Check the high level brake light for rainwater leakage. There's a foam gasket that perishes. I replaced it with silicone.

One of my friends has a NC750x and he uses it as his "daily bike". That would have been my second choice after the Tiger, but I was keen on a British bike.

I say I don't mind dull but I can't help thinking the tiger would have more long term interest. It's certainly the better looking of the two in my mind.

Cheers @NeilM. I'll have a look at the 107. Got a feeling I may have had one as a rental at some point, is it rear engined or am i thinking of something else?

The rear-engined one your thinking about is the smart car I believe. In regards to the 107/c1/aygo, while they are all made in the same factory I'd go for the aygo, purely for the looks being objectively better, in fact, I did about 5 years ago. My wife used it to do the 35mile away way commute, for that it was ideal. For anything else, (it was our only car) I hated it. I thought it felt cheap, tinny and I hated every second of it at 70mph.

Screenshot_20181207-150543.jpg

Not rear engined.

Our daughter has the Toyota version of that, the 107, C1 and Aygo are basically the same car. She's does Chester to Crewe every day and it's been pretty good. The only thing is the 3 pot engine can use a lot of oil and the early one were prone to clutch issues. Later models had an updated clutch and can cover huge mileages with no problems.

Check the high level brake light for rainwater leakage. There's a foam gasket that perishes. I replaced it with silicone.

To be fair.

Ours uses no more oil than usual.

Never had a problem with it. Only done 30k though.

Basically r lass pottering about to work etc and to the coast.