New bike won't start?

Octo1313

Hi all,

Recieved my new 125cc zontes bike today. I'm a complete novice, only just done my CBT so I apologise in advance if my problem is just down to my own stupidity.

It was working perfectly fine when it came, tested this morning by the garage and the delivery driver showed me it working before handing it over.

Just went to sit on it and it will not start. You go to start it and it just revs, chokes and makes a fast ticking sound.

I can only describe it as sounding like a car with no battery, however the bike is 1 day old?! Surely it's not a bike problem but something I'm doing wrong.

Thank you in advance.

Is the side stand down? My bike has a kill switch on the side stand?

Failing that is there an engine cut out switch on the handle bars?

I have both and have been caught out by both :-)

Here we go again , it's not your problem to solve . You have been sold a consumer product and it does not work . Ask the vendor to collect the faulty purchase and exchange it for one that is fit for purpose. Act quickly before you fall into the all too common trap of believing that it's YOUR bike and that YOU have a responsibility to fix it . A fridge, a lawnmower, a motorbike, a felt tip pen , your consumer rights are exactly the same. Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like either they didn’t fully charge the battery or something has drained it. The fast ticking is the solenoid bouncing in and out as the starter is engaged and the battery voltage collapses.

Call the dealer and get them to collect it and check it out.

As mentioned give manual a quick skim first for starting procedure as some need clutch in all the time, others only if not in neutral. Some won't start with side stand down etc... If you're doing everything right then get on phone to dealer straight away.

Everything seems to be right, clutch in and in neutral as manual states, kickstand up, petrol in etc. I should have mentioned I did start it fine at first, it's when I went away then came back and that's when it started choking.

It got progressively worse, sounding like it was struggling, then to a dead car, then to just making the clicking sound. Now the display cuts off so I would think its a battery problem.

As said above I'll go straight back to the supplier. I just wasn't sure at first if it was something stupid I had forgotten (like the kickstand for example). Thanks

Is it carb or fuel injected? Auto or manual choke? If manual it can bog down and stall once warm with choke on at idle, likewise if off in this weather will probably struggle to start.

Everything seems to be right, clutch in and in neutral as manual states, kickstand up, petrol in etc. I should have mentioned I did start it fine at first, it's when I went away then came back and that's when it started choking.

It got progressively worse, sounding like it was struggling, then to a dead car, then to just making the clicking sound. Now the display cuts off so I would think its a battery problem.

As said above I'll go straight back to the supplier. I just wasn't sure at first if it was something stupid I had forgotten (like the kickstand for example). Thanks

Sounds like the battery has run down......probably just needs a charge.....dealer may have had the bike sitting there for a while and not thought to charge the battery before delivering it...... :roll:

And what does a car with a dead battery sound like? ................Cue Simon & Garfunkel (a popular singing duo, for those under 55......)

Cecilia asked The Boxer if he was going to Scarborough fair.No he replied,,I've been to America to see Mrs Robinson and was homeward bound on the bridge over troubled waters when I was greeted with the Sound of silence from my new bike. :thumb:

And what does a car with a dead battery sound like? ................Cue Simon & Garfunkel (a popular singing duo, for those under 55......)

Cecilia asked The Boxer if he was going to Scarborough fair.No he replied,,I've been to America to see Mrs Robinson and was homeward bound on the bridge over troubled waters when I was greeted with the Sound of silence from my new bike. :thumb:

They remind me of cartoon rabbits .

They remind me of cartoon rabbits .

That was only Art Garfunkel.

Got there in the end............ :thumb:

And where's that wascally wabbit? :shock:

Now I have 'cecilia' in my head - thanks. And you probably do now too - you're welcome.

Can't he try a push start? I did it once - was very easy - 1st gear, clutch in, run forward with the bike, slowly let the clutch out, done.

Worthwhile jumping on just before you let the clutch out though?

Or quickly grabbing the clutch again before the bike sets off down the road without you . Personally I've always preferred second gear to bump start a bike and I would never run along beside it , that's just asking for trouble.

Can't he try a push start? I did it once - was very easy - 1st gear, clutch in, run forward with the bike, slowly let the clutch out, done.

Worthwhile jumping on just before you let the clutch out though?

Or quickly grabbing the clutch again before the bike sets off down the road without you . Personally I've always preferred second gear to bump start a bike and I would never run along beside it , that's just asking for trouble.

I've always used 2nd for bump starting. It causes less mechanical strain and make it easier to start the engine.

I suggested it was a battery issue early on. But the dealer ought to have made sure the battery was fully charged before delivery which it doesn't sound like it was - either that or there is a drain somewhere which needs fixing. Has the OP looked into that yet?