crf250l or xr400

dern

I'm thinking about getting a trail bike in the new year. Initially it's to get used to using a bike off-road as I've only got limited experience but I'd like to join my local trf group and go out for a play. I've been inspired by a recent talk to our local IAM group by Austin Vince and really like the idea of doing some longer trips.

The two bikes I'm considering are a crf250l and an xr400. Obviously one is quite new and has a small engine and the other is older and has a bigger lump. Has anyone got experience of the two bikes and can give me an idea of the relative merits of each one. I guess the main question that I'll only solve by going and sitting on one is the physical size but I'm torn between the idea of the old bike that has and will keep going through most stuff and the newer bike that is, well, newer.

Any advice/experience gratefully received.

Thanks,

Mark

both are great bikes, the cr has plenty of power off road and is easier to throw about but ive always had a soft spot for the xr so that's what I would get, you wont go wrong with either mate just be prepared to realise how unfit you are :thumb: