ref front brake

chubbs111

hi guys i currently ride a vt600 imported from america to uk in 2008,ive been told by the previous owner that the bike is fitted with early gsx wheels to give the bike discs all round,when i collected the bike the front brake lever almost touches the handle bar,it looks like the master cylinder is original honda and as i said the wheels and brakes are gsx,will the master cylinder make a difference on the lever touching the handlebar or do i just need to bleed it

The radius of you brake piston squared x Pi (2.14 should do)

X the length the piston has to travel

X the number of pistons

1 cubic centimetre = 1 millilitre

Gosh - I think my GCSE maths has finally come in to use after a trillion years

If the master cylinder was for a single disc, it will be small diamter to provide more force to a single odsc.

A master cylinder for a twin disc bike will be larger diameter, to provide sufficient fluid for 2 callipers.

This will provide less force but the force willl be applied to 2 discs, so you gain back the braking force.

Also as stated above the size of the master cylinder has to be matched to the callipers.

I would suggest getting a master cylinder from the same model of bike that the callipers came from.

If the master cylinder was for a single disc, it will be small diamter to provide more force to a single odsc.

A master cylinder for a twin disc bike will be larger diameter, to provide sufficient fluid for 2 callipers.

This will provide less force but the force willl be applied to 2 discs, so you gain back the braking force.

Also as stated above the size of the master cylinder has to be matched to the callipers.

I would suggest getting a master cylinder from the same model of bike that the callipers came from.

the only problem is that i dont really know what bike the wheels &discs came off

what calipers are on the bike? have you got any pics?

a 14mm or 5/8" Master cylinder will probably do the job

the 5/8" will be a better bet in my opinion

These are the most commonly used sizes on bikes