Car Insurance

manxie49

I've been insured by Direct Line for some years now, this year I forgot about the renewal and Direct Line automatically renewed, "glad they did on this occasion" however I thought the premium was a bit steep so had a check on some other sites, full no claims, no accidents or convictions, advanced driver, all other insurers were coming in substantially cheaper. Out of interest I re-entered all my details onto the Direct line web site, low and behold my policy came out £60 cheaper than what they had just charged me !!!! WTF how is this and has anyone else had the same issue, if challenged has anyone been given a refund? I feel I've been ripped off! :x

I've been insured by Direct Line for some years now, this year I forgot about the renewal and Direct Line automatically renewed, "glad they did on this occasion" however I thought the premium was a bit steep so had a check on some other sites, full no claims, no accidents or convictions, advanced driver, all other insurers were coming in substantially cheaper. Out of interest I re-entered all my details onto the Direct line web site, low and behold my policy came out £60 cheaper than what they had just charged me !!!! WTF how is this and has anyone else had the same issue, if challenged has anyone been given a refund? I feel I've been ripped off! :x

....you feel right.....you have been. Welcome to the exciting world of motor vehicle insurance. As ever, their hands in your pocket.

When did it autorenew? If in the last 14 days you can cancel and pay for the days you've had plus the admin fee.

Then it's just a case of working out whether that plus the cost of an alternative is cheaper.

Both our cars with Direct Line were cheaper this year than last year. First time that's happened in ages.

That actually happened to me this year too, first time ever for me. I then called them as my wife had changed jobs and it went down again

3rd year running my bike insurance has been cheaper than previous years and no one could beat the quote!

Same with the car this year too :?

Forget it this time unless they willing to give you a good will gesture.

Set up a reminder with one of the comparison sites for next year.

Yes I've cancelled the auto renew that I didn't realise I had "learning curve there, read the small print". Have set a reminder on my phone to give me plenty of time for next year.

Good god man they been fecking ppl over like this for decades .. .iv even added stuff to the policy. Increased the amount its worth .. and still come away cheaper than the quote they sent me .. ALL WAYS CALL AND CHECK the problem now is if you canclle they screw you over for canclation fees . Administration fees ..being robbing bast*rds fees ..end of new policy fees .. it end up costing more to leave..

You will have given permission for them to keep the credit card data for renewals. It will be buried in microscopic print in the T&Cs somewhere.

Yes you're right, apparently you agree to it in the small print, if you want to opt out of automatic renewals you have to tell them. I did however think that they had to send out a renewal notification prior to sticking their hand in your pocket not eleven days later! I won't get stung like that again.