Police hassle

Yorkshire rider 1993

Hi

Just wanted to hear some opinions on an encounter I had with the police a couple of months ago.

I took my bike test (das) in September and before I upgraded to my 600 I was still riding my 125. So I decided to take off my L plates because I legally didn't have to use them anymore. I went out for a leisurely ride and found myself getting pulled over for not displaying L plates, i explained to the officer that i had passed my test and didnt need them, but my licence had not arrived yet and I didn't have my provisional (other than a picture of it on my phone for insurance purposes) he then went on to try and tell me that even if I had passed ( which he didn't believe because he said I look too young) that you have to display L plates on anything up to a 125 regardless of licence which I know is not right, and threatened not only to fine me and I'd get 6 points, but to seize my bike as well, after a good 30 minutes of arguing he "decided" to let me off with a warning, I know that if he tried to charge me I'd have got it dropped straight away, but do you think that he was completely wasting mine and his own time or was he justified in what he did?

Not every officer who could pull you over at the roadside is a traffic officer.

Quite often officers aren't 100% sure of the law on matters (and let's be fair, there's a lot of legislation they can't know it all) and will radio in to check. Or they'll make assumptions about the law whilst attempting to give you 'advice'.

Yes he wasted your time, next time if you're 100% sure of your position tell them to get on with attempting to charge you so you can get on with your day.

125cc bikes without L plates are a relatively rare sight on the road. And would be a subject of investigation by any copper if the answers from their computer systems were 'wrong' or not up to date. More so now than ever because of the amount of crime involving scooters and small capacity bikes going on.

I think... that, because he let you ride away, he knew that he had made a mistake. Especially when , on the one hand you probably didn't fit the profile and the other.. He wasn't completely au fait with the legislation.

A bike ridden by a learner with missing L plates.. Maybe because it fell off. Cannot be allowed to proceed. A decent copper would allow you to call a cab and go buy them... A really good copper might even take you. A "by the book" copper would make you walk and have the bike seized.

Just bad luck in your part. Bike crime is a big deal at the moment and a lot if attention is on the police to deal with it.

I got flagged into a layby on the road to Leek just outside Ashbourn . The motorbike Police officer proceeded to give me a scripted talk on moving to the right hand lane when approaching motorway slip roads . The poor bloke seemed quite depressed about being made to stand in a layby on a beautiful hot summer day in order to deliver excepts from the Highway Code to passing bikers . But can you imagine his eyes lighting up with glee if he suspected something illegal ? Beware of bored coppers.

I got flagged into a layby on the road to Leek just outside Ashbourn . The motorbike Police officer proceeded to give me a scripted talk on moving to the right hand lane when approaching motorway slip roads.

This is just bizarre. Derbyshire only has 1 motorway. 2 fairly short sections of the M1, on the other side of the county and if you were heading towards Leek, then you were heading away from it.

I got flagged into a layby on the road to Leek just outside Ashbourn . The motorbike Police officer proceeded to give me a scripted talk on moving to the right hand lane when approaching motorway slip roads . The poor bloke seemed quite depressed about being made to stand in a layby on a beautiful hot summer day in order to deliver excepts from the Highway Code to passing bikers . But can you imagine his eyes lighting up with glee if he suspected something illegal ? Beware of bored coppers.

I imagine this is to allow BMW drivers to assume their rightful position in the right hand lane without being inconvenienced. They really do need some form of assistance since their cars appear to be not fitted with the same safety equipment as installed by other manufacturers. For example - I have yet to see a BMW be able to stop when traffic lights turn amber or even red and they are within 50m of the junction. It must be difficult for them so they need all the help they can get. One of them was unable to restrict his car to the 50mph limit and was forced to use my towbar as a means of retarding his velocity.

The motorbike Police officer proceeded to give me a scripted talk on moving to the right hand lane when approaching motorway slip roads .

How do you mean, if you're already on the motorway and in lane one move to lane two or three near a slip road?

Yes , that's what he was getting at . He was just advising that traffic ahead is likely to slow down approaching an off ramp and to make way for traffic joining the motorway from the left on the on ramp . Totally obvious stuff really but he still deemed it important enough to flag me off the road in order to remind me .

I got flagged into a layby on the road to Leek just outside Ashbourn . The motorbike Police officer proceeded to give me a scripted talk on moving to the right hand lane when approaching motorway slip roads.

This is just bizarre. Derbyshire only has 1 motorway. 2 fairly short sections of the M1, on the other side of the county and if you were heading towards Leek, then you were heading away from it.

Oh yeah, I know that . This copper was presumably part of some road safety initiative . He seemed awkward and rather embarrassed at having to flag me into a layby . I suppose he felt the need to say something useful because he couldn't find anything wrong with my bike or riding gear . He presumably didn't spot the Venom race can . But , as you say the nearest motorway is miles away. It was extremely hot that day so perhaps he was after the chavs on Nicked R1s who ride in shorts , a vest and trainers. Mind you , they don't have accidents because they have taken performance enhancing substances. Who knows .

part of road safety initiative .

Giving information and involving themselves with local biker community .

Nowt wrong with it .

as for being pulled over for l plates ..humans make an error .

Do you know every procedure and policy in place about your job ?

He was wasting your time. He had a hunch, was wrong and proceeded to go the long way round letting you go. If he thought you were in the wrong he would have given you the points and taken your bike but he couldn’t

When I passed my test, my examiner advised me to carry my pass certificate until my licence came through (although I never did this). This would avoid any licence questions from the boys in blue.

I guess he thought he was going to get an easy coller and once he was proved wrong rather than be a man and say well done on passing your test and passing on a bit of advice he went the twat way try to bullshite you and look a big hard man ...

obviously a twat who didn't know thier arse from thier elbow .....was it a woman officer by any chance .

Classy :?

(Yes I'll take ya bait hahah)

Six30 is a sexist ar*ehole so don't bother.

I sometimes wonder if [mention]Six30[/mention] is a made up troll, a [mention]Stu[/mention] alter ego.

I have thought about starting a forum before and spoke to someone in the know who suggested a few characters to keep it entertaining.