Cat D write off

Magpie84

My 125 is a cat D!

It hadn't been stolen, I assume someone learning to ride had a minor-ish off and caused a bit of an issue on the handlebars. Fortunately it was a very simple fix (just needed new screws) and you wouldn't know it was Cat D. Only scuff on it now is on the mirror where I placed it on the floor ;) :oops: I probably wont outright say its cat D when I sell it but the price will be lower and if asked I will of course say yes and where the issue was, and take more photos.

In this case I dont like that he lied when asked about it, and then tried to downplay the wall thing....

Yeah i went on and asked the seller why a Cat D...... he said:

Hi, I have just spoken to the previous owner as I wasn’t aware of it. It wasn’t crash damage, a neighbours wall fell onto the bike damaging the tank and both wheels. They were renewed through the insurance which is why it’s categorised.

Regards

timr_75 has sent a question about item #254024834197, ending on 20-Dec-18 19:04:16 GMT - Yamaha MT03 660cc 2009

Any reason why bike is a Cat D on hpi checks ?

thanks

I'd be very wary of this bike.

The assessors that write them off sometimes try to do you the owner a favour. Both bikes of mine that were written off and in my possession were checked and in both instances the bloke said something along the lines of:

"I can ignore *points at a couple of bits* as you can sort them out easy enough and I'll mark it as cat D/C". One of these bits was a pissed swingarm, which he felt would be ok if I got a second hand one off eBay.

When I declined, they both got marked cat B. I could have fixed them relatively cheaply but both times I had a different bike lined up so took the payout.

The best way to buy a cat d or c vehicle is buy it with the damage , then you can see exactly what the damage is .

Although saying that there is a salvage company that auctions damaged vehicles , I knew a fella that worked there ....

on lots of occasions he said cars would be entered with with f**ked boxes or engines ,no mention of this in description , and they would give it some body damage in the yard, and sometimes lose the keys , you think a bit of paint work set of keys cut I've got a cheap car .

• 3 weeks later...