kawasaki 500s - wont go

Guest knownowtjillsy

Hi, I am new here and don't know hardly anything about bikes, but my other half's Kawasaki 500s just won't go. All the electrics have been checked - every wire. It has a new regulator and a new alternator cos that seemed to be the problem. The man fixing it, got it going 'like a dream'. Other half gets on it, starts great! Goes to the garage, refuels - and once again... it won't start. Bloke mending it feels like screaming, my O/H is screaming and...well, anyone help suggest what else might be wrong? Don't ask me too much technical stuff, cos I probably won't be able to answer.

knownowtjillsy

Problem is, could be any number of things. A competent mechanic shouldn't have too much trouble sorting it though. The basic tests are to check for a spark at the plugs, and to check fuel is getting to the carb(s). If both are happening, then it will run...

If it's switched on and getting power (i.e. lights work) but makes a clicking sound when turned over, suspect the battery/charging system. No lights means no power, so the battery and/or electrical connections must be faulty...

If it's switched on and getting power but totally dead on the starter button, then it's probably a fault somewhere in the starter motor or solenoid. It may be blowing fuses if it runs, then dies again suddenly. I think that's a faulty solenoid, but I'm not much of a mechanic so someone may know more than me there...

Thanks Bodecia and Chris. It does sound like the solonoid and I will see if that has been checked - it would seem strange if it hasn't been checked already but that is what happens - it runs perfect, then dies suddenly.

Well, Chris tis not such a stupid remark...cos my O/H can't read as he is dyslexic, but he assures me that he put the right fuel in the tank...but...well - how dya check? It seems strange that it should fail on two occasions at the same garage. I hope you don't think me and my O/H (other half) stupid, asking these questions - thing is, he don't know I'm asking them! I'm no mechanic, but I can use a computer a bit,

KnownowtJillsy[/i]

You should be able to tell if it's diesel by smelling it.

Or you take some out and try setting fire to it, the fuel that is, not the bike :lol:

Diesel won't burn without a wick, petrol will, so stand well back.

Is the bike garaged or does it live outside? Could be corrosion in the switchgear. :(

I had a V-mille with a starting problem, I had put a screwdriver accross the terminals of the starter solonoid to get it to start. A new solonoid did the trick. :)

Edited by Anonymous

Diesel is oily to touch and petrol evaporates.

Diesel also has a dirty kind of smell to it where petrol smells..... well nice :wink:

Glad to see my 9 years in the Royal Corps has its uses :lol:

Thanks for all your advice. I will try to get to talk to the bloke who is fixing the bike tomorrow, and ask him about the solonoid and the battery. How much is a solonoid - already spent a fortune on the bike, that my o/h uses to get to work. Found a video on you tube that shows an Kawasaki 500s doing exactly the same as my o/h's - I can't post the URL cos I am not allowed too, being a newbie, but after the youtube address is /watch?v=KMtQ4LrUf2E

I think that the switchgear has all been checked and the contacts renewed. Do I know what I am talking about...no!

Apparently he is sure that he put the right fuel in it. The bike isn't with us right now, still with the bloke that is mending it, which is across town from where we live and we ain't got no other transport. I will let you know if he gets it going, but thanks for all your valuable advice.

Jillsy

Update- we rang the bloke who is fixing the bike and put your suggestions to him, but he has already checked those things and he said that he thinks that a wire has come off or something like that - so the bike is in bits yet again. Poor bike, like my O/H is going to pieces.

Jillsy

how long does it run before cutting off ?

sounds like a fuel problem

could be the vacuum pipe on the petrol tap if it has one

or a blocked fuel filter or blocked fuel line

what is your location ?

Just had a thought!

I had a Kawasaki that had a broken earth wire up by the headstock.

The wire was inside the loom where it runs from the clocks/ignition to the frame It was hard to find and boy, did it cause problems. :evil:

The same bike also had a problem with side stand cut out switch.