Stupid idea??

RAYK47

OK, so i am thinking of using my bike to commute the entire journey to work. Please let me know if this is a stupid idea as it sounds fine to me but needs experienced eyes and brains to validate.

I live in Hertfordshire and work in London EC3A 7AW, journey total is 34miles (approx 1h 30mins in a car, hopefully less on a bike).

As a new rider with only a CBT currently i have got the directions from Google maps excluding motorways. My route seems pretty simple and will take me down the A10 (this leads almost to my office).

So am i stupid attempting such a journey while being a novice rider and only on a 125?

I am a 40 something who has driven a car for many years so hopefully road sense is better than your average learner. I am also intending to do a test run of the journey on a Sunday to see what it entails.

plan is to do this starting in the spring.

Not stupid at all, but I would use the time between now and then to get your full Licence, nothing wrong with the 125 , but with a bigger bike comes more comfort , and you would be able to command the road much more easily than to be blown about by everything that passes you, go for the direct access at your age, bigger bike safer (at least as it could be)

When its dark , you are sandwiched between two lorries and the sleet is sticking to your visor faster than than your numb hand can scrape it off , it might be wise to review your decision. EDIT .Sorry, didn't read it properly, it's up to you but there is one thing to consider.If you use a bike to commute its fairly likely that you will lose all incentive to use your bike at the weekend for pleasure. I am lucky enough to only ride a bike when I want to and I can think of nothing worse than riding a bike because I have to . I have done it in the past and it was no fun at all.

Edited by fastbob

It is do-able but frankly I think you'll find it lacking in fun. For that kind of distance you really want something a bit bigger. It's not just about power, it's brakes, suspension, tyres, attitude of other road users.

Go for it but be prepared to persevere rather than enjoy it, especially in rotten weather.

I use 2006 CBF500 for commuting so you don't need a rocket ship to make commuting more enjoyable. In fact owning a 500 and a 1200 I prefer the ease of riding the 500 when the conditions are treacherous.

It is do-able but frankly I think you'll find it lacking in fun. For that kind of distance you really want something a bit bigger. It's not just about power, it's brakes, suspension, tyres, attitude of other road users.

Go for it but be prepared to persevere rather than enjoy it, especially in rotten weather.

I use 2006 CBF500 for commuting so you don't need a rocket ship to make commuting more enjoyable. In fact owning a 500 and a 1200 I prefer the ease of riding the 500 when the conditions are treacherous.

I am worried that it will end up being an unenjoyable commute and i dont want that to happen.

I know i would be better with a larger bike and i will be working on it come spring, particularly like the CB650 F but would definitely consider the 400 as well.

When I was still on CBT and a 125 I twice did the 40 mile trip from my home in Beds to my work in Cheshunt and while I wouldn't say it was stupid it certainly was miserable. Coming down the A10 I just got stuck behind lorries that I didn't have the power to overtake as I was already pinned, not sure I'd want to do that on the daily thats for sure and this was in summer when it was nice and warm! :lol:

I have to agree with these sentiments, I rode a bike for years, all year round, commuting from Melton to Leicester, as someone who has loved bikes ever since I was a kid I have to admit that a lot of the winter commutes were not fun, and most of those were on a 500cc bike. Give it a go but don't let the winter commute put you of biking :thumb:

Most of that a10 is 40mph limit and dual carriageway .

For a new rider its a reasonable journey .

plenty of width to filter in heavy traffic .

So i would say do it ..

London is not that scary and daunting as people believe especially those who have never experienced it and base their knowledge of it on others .

I agree with others on here that it is perfectly feasible to do this commute on a 125, I save my Bandit and use the GS125 for local and sometimes 20-30 mile runs but limit myself to local in the winter. If you have the choice of a car or bike it makes it a no brainer to give it a go. You will certainly get more experience on your bike and great deal of pleasure. Good waterproofs, anti fog visor, and good lock or 2 together with breakdown cover and you good to go.

Regards

Rob B

OK, so i am thinking of using my bike to commute the entire journey to work. Please let me know if this is a stupid idea as it sounds fine to me but needs experienced eyes and brains to validate.

I live in Hertfordshire and work in London EC3A 7AW, journey total is 34miles (approx 1h 30mins in a car, hopefully less on a bike).

As a new rider with only a CBT currently i have got the directions from Google maps excluding motorways. My route seems pretty simple and will take me down the A10 (this leads almost to my office).

So am i stupid attempting such a journey while being a novice rider and only on a 125?

I am a 40 something who has driven a car for many years so hopefully road sense is better than your average learner. I am also intending to do a test run of the journey on a Sunday to see what it entails.

On a 125? I would rather walk mate. being limited to 30mph and doing many miles on roads that will have speed limit greater, nah thanks mate. Honestly sounds unsafe to me.

Driving a car for 50 years would make no difference, in my opinion the longer you drove the car the more dangerous it will make you as a first time rider. Car people tend to have car drivers habits, less awareness and understanding of dangers that bikers need to be on the look out for

Edited by newbiker90

On a 125? I would rather walk mate. With this weather, being limited to 30mph and doing many miles on roads that will have speed limit great, not having proper wind protection or a bike designed for all weathers, no abs, no traction control nah thanks mate. Honestly sounds unsafe to me.

Some 125's can hit 70-80mph...... :wink:

On a 125? I would rather walk mate. With this weather, being limited to 30mph and doing many miles on roads that will have speed limit great, not having proper wind protection or a bike designed for all weathers, no abs, no traction control nah thanks mate. Honestly sounds unsafe to me.

Some 125's can hit 70-80mph...... :wink:

Then I am sure its over the HP limit you can ride on a cbt? Also editted my post thought he was going to start now in the winter haha

I have a 125,

The limit on CBT for over 17s is CC and not power. I’m afraid you are misinformed newbiker.

I commute everyday between 6 and 30 miles in total. On my 125 it’s fine. If I had to do that distance on nsl dual carriageways I would want more than my 125.

30 miles is a reasonably big deal on a 125 in my opinion. But worth trying :-)