6 month old bike needs new engine!

Chr1ske11y

So the problem was something to do with the piston ring. They have fixed it for me temporarily, but the bike still requires a new engine when it has been delivered in February!

The exhaust has white smoke coming out of it while it’s running, the guy has told me it could still break down, and not to ‘rag it around’ and use it flat out or full throttle...

I’m not really happy about the situation still but I’m just hoping it will last me a month until the new engine is fitted.

So the problem was something to do with the piston ring. They have fixed it for me temporarily, but the bike still requires a new engine when it has been delivered in February!

The exhaust has white smoke coming out of it while it’s running, the guy has told me it could still break down, and not to ‘rag it around’ and use it flat out or full throttle...

I’m not really happy about the situation still but I’m just hoping it will last me a month until the new engine is fitted.

WTF !! No No No ! This is just wrong . Haven't they got any more bikes in that shop to lend you ? So who is going to pay for you to be recovered if it breaks down ? This sounds ridiculous. Just so you know , if all that's wrong is a a knackered piston then it does not need a whole engine. What it needs is one of these ( see link ) and it shouldn't take a month to arrive. This could easily be fitted in a day by any competent mechanic. Makes me wonder what these dickheads are playing at . https://www.lexmoto.co.uk/part/TECK09.php

I know I am not happy about the situation at all. They don’t offer any bike hire at all.

The place is closed now until 2nd january so I can’t speak to them about it anyway.

I don’t think I have break down cover in my insurance so that’s another thing I’ve got to sort because of all this.

They probably don't want to fix it lol but are happy to stick in an engine, personally I would be happier with a new engine than a repair, keep an eye on oil level, don't rag it and keep fingers crossed or ask for refund by the time you get that mess sorted out the new engine will have been fitted for many weeks.

There is always a certain risk involved with cheap Chinese and unfortunately your living with that risk now.

What guarantee do you have that this dealer in cheap Chinese motorbikes isn't a pop up shop that will here today and gone tomorrow and what assurance do you have that this "New" engine isn't something off eBay or a third rate generic scooter engine off Aliexpress ? Who are these bloody people ?

So it seized......They freed it up and stuck new rings on the piston to fob you off for a month or 2.....it's burning oil, so it's likely that the bore is scored and quite likely to seize again. When is the warranty up? If they can fob you off until then and wash their hands of it. I'd be talking to trading standards now, before it's too late. If that bike seizes while you're riding it and it locks the back wheel it could end very badly for you. This is a totally unacceptable situation. :x

So it seized......They freed it up and stuck new rings on the piston to fob you off for a month or 2.....it's burning oil, so it's likely that the bore is scored and quite likely to seize again. When is the warranty up? If they can fob you off until then and wash their hands of it. I'd be talking to trading standards now, before it's too late. If that bike seizes while you're riding it and it locks the back wheel it could end very badly for you. This is a totally unacceptable situation. :x

Listen to what Bob is saying.

He is right

I keep it ready to copy pasta at times like these!

Now i do this often enough but lets state some facts about chinese bikes, and more importantly... SINNIS.

I while looking for a 125 spotted this lovely looking, cafe racer bike that was an absolute bargain for brand new! Off i wandered to TMBF to ask for recomendations.

"Don't do it" says rantmachine

"You're a fool" says Stu

Did i listen?

Lol no.

Off i wandered to the bike shop hard earned savings in hand and a short while later i rode off on my bike. My first issue came when i tried to turn the bike around a normal corner and the bike just slid out under me, apparently the tyres allow a lean of 5 degrees either way before they give up. I had ruined the tank (which was rusting anyway) and put one on order through a local bike shop. "Oh it will be about a month". "Oh well what can i do.." no... no... it was SEVEN. GOD. DAMN. MONTHS. So think of that when you think you can get replacement parts.

My next issue would be faulty electrics and crap wiring.. I often had issues with the brakes or indicators as the cable run under the seat and over the tyre.. However they would often slack off and hit the tyre thus causing the cable to rip in half. Not so great when riding at night! Though it pales in comparison to the fact that when riding to work one day i realise my indictator (left rear) was flashing fast in the console "Oh the wirings gone again.." I got to work and went to look at it and what do i find? Nothing.. The f**king indicator just fell off cause of the bolts made out of 3 week old potatoes.

Now my final major issue was my accident on the A12, now you're thinking.. "How is this the bikes fault why didnt you ride better" well.. When someone cuts you off at 50mph with not a huge amount of room, you tend to press hard on the brakes. Only as soon as i done that the brakes IMMEDIATELY siezed and threw me off the bike. Bike took several months and lots of money to fix before it developed a droning noise whenever i went about 3-4k RPM.. (see video below)

https://youtu.be/3ip7FtJq6HA

So to sum it up. Buy a chinese bike if you really want, its cheap for a reason, but when you come on here asking for help fixing it or moaning that its taking ages to get parts, don't expect a huge amount of sympathy because you've been warned.

Oh and when i sold it less than a year later with 2000miles on the clock, i'd lost 3/4 of its value.. got 500quid.

I paid all in cash.

So how do I go about sorting a refund? If I am entitled to one, they’re not just gonna take my word for it surely..

The guys in the motorcycle dealership shop seem to think my only option is to wait the month for the new engine to be fitted :roll:

What do you mean by take your word for it ? Surely you haven't thrown the receipt away ?

• 2 weeks later...

consumer law must sell it to me for the price marked up

Thats not actually true!

They can refuse to sell you something if they believe its wrongly priced!

In stores: If an item is priced incorrectly on the shelf, or scans at the wrong price at the till, retailers are under no obligation to honour it, under the Sale of Goods Act. They can offer the item at the correct price or refuse your money and withdraw the product from sale

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/10602641/Price-glitches-Do-retailers-have-to-honour-pricing-mistakes.html

I work for ASDA and they will normally charge at the ticket price, only now and again will they refuse, normally with more expensive items but legally we can refuse to sell or charge the correct price.

Tesco used to offer double discount if scan price didn't match ticket price, but they lost a fair bit by people taking advantage of discounts that hadn't been marked up as they didn't specify if it cost more only if different... So £2 price tag pack of bacon which was discounted to £1 ended up with them giving you £2 back (or effectively giving you £1 to buy their bacon).

Funnily enough they don't seem to offer that anymore :lol:.