Low emission zone engine custom bike help

Tw125

Hi. I have a custom bike. The Fram e wheels and engine are a tw125. It's registered as that. In a few months I will not be able to ride this in central London due to the new ultra low emission zone and in 2021 not in London at all. I was going to get rid of it. But rode it today and I love it so much . I really don't want to get rid of this bike im in love with it. Is there anything I can do to get around this? Any help would be much appreciated.

If you assassinate Sadiq Khan you will both become a folk hero and possibly avoid the charges.

[mention]Slowlycatchymonkey[/mention] on here posted a link with details about avoiding the charge if your bike had low emissions regardless of age. If you can find that you might avoid it with your bike if it's 'green' enough

Even if you got rid of Sadiq Khan his successor would still need to implement the restrictions. ......There are agreed clean air targets that many UK cities are failing to meet, and London is especially bad......whoever is Mayor will have to come up with a plan to reduce the main polluters......and motorists and motorcyclists are the obvious/easy target.

Anyway, back to the original question......you need to do a lot of research to find out if any changes to the engine would meet the requirements for exemption from the charge.......and then there's the question of whether you would be able to insure the bike with those changes......A lot of insurers won't touch bikes with major modifications to them.....particularly if you are deemed higher risk in the first place due to where you live and where the bike is stored overnight.

So is this based on the year of the bike? Or engine? I could replace Frame to get around it? Or engine replacement?

TBH I'm not sure on that, e.g. put your modern engine into a 40 yo bike would it still be classed as historic , probably not, but you can only ask.

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

Anything over 40 years old on a rolling basis that's not been substantially modified.

Checking up on the TW, it only makes 11hp,about the same as a CG125.Early ones of these will be over 40 years old, buy one and ride around London only paying for insurance, no tax,mot or ulez and stick the finger up at Mr Mayor as you ride by.

Daft thing is I could ride the 380 around the ulez FOC and that pours out more pollution than 10 modern bikes put together, maybe even 20, it smokes like a barstad when its opened up.

I saw a pie chart about which types of vechicles cause what percentage of pollution according to TFL, motorbikes registered as either 0 or 1 % but very very low, it’s silly bikes are being charged for the ULEZ at all.

Worst offenders for Nox pollution are pre Euro 6 diesels, I don’t think there are any diesel bikes :P .

This is why I think bikes on the ULEZ bullshite is completely stupid . Yet you got taxis (black cabs ) pumping out black gunk yet they are ok a Motor bike with 1% or even less has to pay . It's got 100% bollocks to do with clean air its who uses London the most .. cars... motorbikes . Twats on pushbikes ..buses .taxis .. lorrys/vans .. so who shall we screw over . Mmm every one accept buses and taxis ..

If it was really about clean air then they would have twats on pushbikes .motorbikes as the only transport allowed 100% free air ..