Go as fast as you can see...

newbiker90

I understand the concept but not the numbers behind it :tumble: . Lets say I can only see 30 metres how fast should I be going in the dry and in the wet? thanks.

There are no numbers behind it.. It's all about positioning yourself at whatever speed is appropriate for an approaching bend... You would need to slow down if as far as you can see doesn't increase.. Like in a hairpin. Every situation is different.

But "numbers" do not work.

There are too many variables involved to put precise numbers on the speed. That’s where training and experience come in. To start with you should be at a slower speed than when you have more experience. Never ride on the limits unless you are on a track, and even then with proper training and experience. As I have said before you must travel at a speed that you can stop in the distance you can SEE to be clear.

I remember being told this many moons ago.

Then one lovely day on a brilliant road I rode frequently I set myself into a bend and these words popped into my head and I slowed down.

Coming to the apex of the bend I discovered a tanker on its side totally blocking the road from wall to wall

If I had taken it at my usual speed I wouldn't be writing this....so it's good advice.

I remember being told this many moons ago.

Then one lovely day on a brilliant road I rode frequently I set myself into a bend and these words popped into my head and I slowed down.

Coming to the apex of the bend I discovered a tanker on its side totally blocking the road from wall to wall

If I had taken it at my usual speed I wouldn't be writing this....so it's good advice.

I had this happen many moons ago on my GSXR750:

A nice sweeping LH bend usually taken at about 90mph knee skimming the tarmac.

Just once I felt something wasn’t right, and for no reason I could remember slowed to about 40mph and went round pretty much upright...... I was faced with a grain spill about an inch deep.

Only just managed to stay upright... dread to think what might have happened if I’d done it as usual,

The faeries were truly with me.