T'is the season to be upgrading. Opinions?

Pbassred

I'm going to pick up my first grown up bike tomorrow (I'm 57!). A 2015 CRB500R. I passed my full "A" license, so could have bought something bigger but quite frankly, I'm not looking for more power. Its all I need for sports touring and commuting into London. Its completely stock right now.

My priorities are going to be: Security, Being seen, seeing, handling, phone/GPS mount.

What would you guys add 1st /2nd /3rd?

Where is the bike going to be parked in London?

Actually, I don't know. The bike thing snowballed after some jobs came up in some of the NW industrial areas. I didn't get any of them, but It snowballed from there. I Play samba in Waterloo. I already have an Abus granite alarm disk lock, and as soon as I can book it in It will get a Datatool S4 Red alarm along side its HISS2 immobilizer.

If you're commuting into London I would imagine that security might be of a high priority . A few gadgets such as a Tazer ( Readily available on eBay as a " Torch" from China ) a stab vest , some pepper spray and a telescopic baton for starters . Oh yeah , and a massive chain and lock .

I wouldn't pick up a new bike at this time of year and I certainly wouldn't learn to ride it on the wet, greasy roads. I'd put at the top of your priorities substantial crash protection ie engine bars and something at the rear. This might sound a bit negative , but when you drop it, you will be gutted at the extent of the damage and the cost. Engine bars will save you a lot of cash and heartache. Ideally coat it in ACF50 , fill the tank with fuel, fit an optimate and store it until the spring.

I'm not in a dissimilar position to you (although I don't commute on mine at present), and I would suggest:

A good Thatcham approved disc lock that you can fit to the rear sprocket

Datatag registration (you'll probably get that as standard if it's a new bike)

Crash bungs or bars

Heated grips

Enjoy the bike. At 58, I've found being on two wheels again after a 35-year hiatus a wonderful experience. Oh, and get an ACF-50 treatment on it. If you don't want to do it yourself have a look at AYB (All Year Biker).

Edited by learningtofly

The CBR500 is a cracker of a bike, not a bike I would have paid much attention to, normally. But a few years ago a young lad on a restricted license came along with us to the Eifel mountains on one. And it proved to be very capable. No hindrance at all on the motorway and perfect for the roads in Germany and Luxembourg. He even took it on the Nurburgring for a lap.

The CBR500 is a cracker of a bike, not a bike I would have paid much attention to, normally. But a few years ago a young lad on a restricted license came along with us to the Eifel mountains on one. And it proved to be very capable. No hindrance at all on the motorway and perfect for the roads in Germany and Luxembourg. He even took it on the Nurburgring for a lap.

Same here, a young work colleague of mine has bought one that is supposedly restricted but he's already had it to 110mph .

Same here, a young work colleague of mine has bought one that is supposedly restricted but he's already had it to 110mph .
I've only had mine for 100miles, and that was the delivery ride. I only took it to 95 and it was like; "would you like some more sir?" The horse power is restricted to 47HP but not the speed. I suppose if you get your head down and go for it, it will keep going faster, but what is the point?

Anyway, back to the topic, I already have an alarmed disc lock and a big chain when its at home. ~The next sequence (not the importance will be:-

Reflective strips (hey you!!),

Short bar ends (so I can wheel it through the door) Ebay?,

Datatool alarm (The local dealer doesn't open until the new year.)

um.....?

I've only had mine for 100miles, and that was the delivery ride. I only took it to 95 and it was like; "would you like some more sir?" The horse power is restricted to 47HP but not the speed. I suppose if you get your head down and go for it, it will keep going faster, but what is the point?

Anyway, back to the topic, I already have an alarmed disc lock and a big chain when its at home. ~The next sequence (not the importance will be:-

Reflective strips (hey you!!),

Short bar ends (so I can wheel it through the door) Ebay?,

Datatool alarm (The local dealer doesn't open until the new year.)

um.....?

How about something like this?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fp%2F1052315336%3Fiid%3D170659388008

I had one, compatoble with RAM mount clips etc. best way to mount a Sat nav on a sportsbike I reckon :)