How much to sell bike for Scrap - Crack in Frame - Ninja 650 2017

rforjoe

Hi,

I have a 2017 Ninja 650 which has had some vandalism thats caused 2 cracks in the Bikes Frame. Hence i would like to scrap it and wanted to find out what is a good price to sell it for.

I bought the bike new in 2017 March and it has a Mileage: 9918. The Frame is cracked in 2 locations due to the "Crash protectors" being stollen causing a loose engine. I had been riding it for 3 weeks without noticing the theft, which caused the damaged frame.

The frame is damaged in 2 locations and will cost roughly 1600 pounds for a new frame - Total cost is around 2000 pounds for labour etc.

I am being offered 1500 pounds for the bike as is and wanted to know if i could get more else where?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Pictures are here: https://adobe.ly/2EO5fiu

Edited by rforjoe

So technically the thieves that robbed the crash bungs and bolts have vandalized your bike to the extent that it is now a write off . I expect you have already looked into this but how do you stand with your insurance ?

Thanks for your reply. Yes,that’s pretty much it🤦🏾‍♂️. They might have aswell stolen the whole bike.

Insurance in london is pricey , I went for the cheapest which came with a 2K excess so not much point claiming through them.

Looking at the best option to sell the bike for parts.

That's a bit weird. If the crash protectors were stolen and you've ridden it with a loose engine my guess is there will be distortion in the frame that isn't showing until you strip it down. The broken bit in picture three is hard to make out but you'd need to dismantle quite a lot to weld in that area. That's why I suspect workshops are advising a new frame. Given that you'll need to dismantle quite a lot of it anyway to do the welding then to be honest I'd invest in a new frame and just reassemble the bike on that. Frame geometry is kind of important.

I'm a bit puzzled how they are quoting £1600 for the frame and only £400 for labour - I'd have thought the labour would be more than that.

That's a bit weird. If the crash protectors were stolen and you've ridden it with a loose engine my guess is there will be distortion in the frame that isn't showing until you strip it down. The broken bit in picture three is hard to make out but you'd need to dismantle quite a lot to weld in that area. That's why I suspect workshops are advising a new frame. Given that you'll need to dismantle quite a lot of it anyway to do the welding then to be honest I'd invest in a new frame and just reassemble the bike on that. Frame geometry is kind of important.

I'm a bit puzzled how they are quoting £1600 for the frame and only £400 for labour - I'd have thought the labour would be more than that.

Thanks for the advice , that’s makes a lot of sense. The labour cost was just a quote, they mentioned it could be more as they wouldn’t know the full cost until dismantling the bike. I’ll look into the welding option as I haven’t thought about.

Thanks again 🙏🙏

are you sure riding about with no crash protectors has cracked the frame??

where is it cracked?

If I understand this correctly, they also robbed some of the engine mounting bolts which has allowed the engine to move in the frame when under load and this has caused the cracking.

are you sure riding about with no crash protectors has cracked the frame??

where is it cracked?

If I understand this correctly, they also robbed some of the engine mounting bolts which has allowed the engine to move in the frame when under load and this has caused the cracking.

Yep that’s correct. The engine is sitting very low at the moment. The ignition hole came loose, which was why I took it to the garage to get checked. They pointed out the protectors were gone plus the damage caused.

I had a ER6F project back in 2013 I had to do an engine swap on.

I think if you remove both the front mounts located on each side the engine can't drop, but it does slump forward a tad. The rear of the engine makes contact with the rear of the frame.

The engine can pivot a bit on the rear mount, it hits the frame so can only slump forward a bit.

Could easily be wrong as that was the 2006 model but maybe that's what is happening here?

There's something amiss here!

Two missing bolts would not cause the engine to drop!

There should be more than enough support in the rest of the bolts to hold it in place!

He did ride it for three weeks without noticing so its had plenty of time to bounce around plus the frame , what there is of it, depends heavily upon the engine as a stressed member .

There's something amiss here!

Two missing bolts would not cause the engine to drop!

There should be more than enough support in the rest of the bolts to hold it in place!

He did ride it for three weeks without noticing so its had plenty of time to bounce around plus the frame , what there is of it, depends heavily upon the engine as a stressed member .

I would like to k ow how many bolts hold the engine in in total

As a few bolts are enough to stop it moving especially when you normally have two bolts at the rear going all the way through the thickest part of the frame!