How much to sell bike for Scrap - Crack in Frame - Ninja 650 2017

rforjoe

I think I get it now , this distortion was caused by forces from the forks and head stock that should have been bolted to the top of the engine but were free to pivot on this point instead. Considering the amount of leverage this would generate I'm starting to understand how the cracking might have occured. So if that's the case , do the holes in the frame and the engine at the upper front mounting point still line up ? I'd be surprised if they do .

wp_ss_20181228_0009.thumb.png.498cfb7b592692626e5e4b6b178fa633.png

engines now make up part of the chassis so if not tight in there it allows the frame to flex .

If they didn't flex the frame would crack!

Engines making up part of the chassis is not entirely a new idea.

lv0117-263087_2@2x.thumb.jpg.044e41a171b4eeb2b9c955a15fbeaeff.jpg

engines now make up part of the chassis so if not tight in there it allows the frame to flex .

I never said they didn't!

But if you have no flex in the frame at all then it would crack!

Looking at the size of that frame I don't think the engine forms part of the frame! Not like some bikes that have a front and rear frame and nothing in the middle!

Looking at the size of that frame I don't think the engine forms part of the frame! Not like some bikes that have a front and rear frame and nothing in the middle!

images.jpg.cd9d84c20bfc085591f85e9fd485125e.jpg

But that's not a kwack 650 :scratch:

Sorry, wires got crossed a bit , I was merely highlighting a point of interest about engines as stressed members not being exclusively a characteristic of bikes " Now " Even the humble CG engine forms part of the bikes frame . A case of double quoting.

I think I get it now , this distortion was caused by forces from the forks and head stock that should have been bolted to the top of the engine but were free to pivot on this point instead. Considering the amount of leverage this would generate I'm starting to understand how the cracking might have occured. So if that's the case , do the holes in the frame and the engine at the upper front mounting point still line up ? I'd be surprised if they do .

Hi as [mention]fastbob[/mention] has said, the engine hasn't dropped because the two rear bolts are still intact, and also look at the rear of exhaust pipe, if the engine had dropped the tail piece would be on the swingarm.

As Bob has said the Frame has moved upwards without the front engine bolts being in place, in fact I would say he's a lucky guy that it hasn't snapped.

And if you were going to try and repair you would need to take it to a frame straighter, they can normally jig it back in line, had a Yamaha Thundercat done once when I flipped doing a Stoppie!!! and bent the tail section. :oops: :oops:

The price of a new frame direct from Kawasaki Dealer is £1252.21.