Advice on first bike

Highlander

Hi folks, I have just started my training in the last couple weeks and looking for some advice on buying a used bike.

The place I'm learning at uses Kawasaki ER6N's to teach on which are nice enough bikes but I prefer the cruiser types rather than the racing looking types. Being a total beginner I'm looking for some advice on what to go for for a first bike.

Being the festive period and starting a new job in January I think it will take a couple months+ maybe till i get through my training and sit my tests, I'm also going to see if there's an advanced course afterwards.

I was considering buying a new bike after i pass - but that's probably a daft idea. I had one or two little bumps /scrapes with my first car which I'm glad wasn't new. I was thinking it might be better to save my cash till i pass for a deposit on a new bike, but I have been looking at couple used bikes 125cc ones that I could use for a few months till I pass my test and get some experience riding before going for a new /or better used one. I found a 250 cc honda shadow but its above the legal limit sadly was cheap and decent looking condition for about £700.

I'm thinking of buying a 125cc bike to ride about on for a few months till I pass and get some experience etc I live about 20 drive away from work which I doesn't have any motorways so I was thinking of maybe driving to work and about town to get some practice in. I have been looking at some cruiser type bikes in the 125 cc range - finding reviews for older bikes can be a pain so any advice is appreciated.

I have found this one that seems to get decent reviews and I quite like the look of it

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201812113184198?advertising-location=at_bikes&make=HONDA&model=VT125%20SHADOW&sort=price-asc&postcode=ky26lf&radius=1501&page=1

Its a little more than i would maybe like to spend on a starter bike essentially and no idea if its a good price to be honest but if I can trade it back in /sell it in a few months for a little less then It might be a good idea.

Thanks for the replies folks,

I was in two minds whether to wait till after passing or get a cheap learner bike to ride about on for a few months which might help to pass able to get some time behind the handlebars. Ive done 5 hours so far and booked in for 2 hours training a week for the moment ( paid for a 22 hour block deal) and I'll try to either fit in a couple more hours a week If i can fit it in around work or was thinking maybe the learner bike would be handy.

I'm aiming for a 1200cc once I have some experience, a couple people at lessons suggested building up to it starting with a lighter bike see how I get on. Heard stories of people dropping/tipping their new high cc bikes over due to not being able to handle them properly heh

I didn't want to spend a lot in case i struggled to resell the learner bike when upgrading - no idea how well some resell. Some models seem popular like the Honda shadow 125cc or the Suzuki intruder 125cc but they can be a little pricey £2000-£3000 for good condition ones from what Ive seen so far.

I did find an intruder for £1,500 which doesn't look to bad - been sitting idle for 7 years so had alot of work done get it in good running condition again which is probably a good thing?

What do you guys think of the bike? Seem like a decent deal?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201812133231210?advertising-location=at_bikes&seller-type=trade&price-to=3500&body-type=Custom%20Cruiser&postcode=ky26lf&sort=price-asc&cc-to=125&radius=1500&page=2

Low millage, the lowest exhaust looks bent upwards a little compared to other models I've seen but don't think it's an issue.

Any knowledgeable people here ever owned/tried or got any experience of the honda shadow or the suzuki intruder 125cc models?

Thanks alot for any advice :-D

Personally, mate, I'd wait until you pass your test.......The feet forward riding position on the cruisers could mess you up for riding the ER6, if you get too used to it. Then, once you pass your test, get the bike you really want......but maybe stick secondhand for a bit, until you get confident in handling bikes..... 8-)

Its often the case that new riders start out, before lessons and tests and so on, with a specific bike type at the top of their list and as experience grows, they try the bikes the schools provides, begin talking to other people in the flesh and on-line then those early goals shift and change.

Before I began riding I wanted a sports type bike.. just like a lot of young lads. But my first bike was a naked.. which i bought because it was different and within my price range at the time and for years after that I only rode naked bikes. This only changed again when I was offered a very different bike.. of a type I would never even dreamed of riding.. offered as a courtesy bike while my own was being serviced, I mean. I absolutely loved it, bought one and kept with it for 21 years. (I still have it)

So what we begin liking can easily change as experience grows and develops. Ive known people who always dreamed of riding a cruiser, but for years had ridden a 'standard' bike. Then the opportunity came and they hated it. It wasn't what they expected, the dream didn't match the reality and they just could not get on with some aspects, like the seating/riding position as well as other things, like the constant battle to keep it good looking.

I wouldnt bother buying a bike until after you have passed your test. Do the CBT.. have a couple of lessons at least on the schools own bike and perhaps consider going down the Direct Access route to a full license.

Its often the case that new riders start out, before lessons and tests and so on, with a specific bike type at the top of their list and as experience grows, they try the bikes the schools provides, begin talking to other people in the flesh and on-line then those early goals shift and change.

This. I 100% knew I wanted a 4/600cc supermoto when I passed my test and absolutely nothing was going to change my mind, no way, not possible.

I bought a 1200cc naked.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This. I 100% knew I wanted a 4/600cc supermoto when I passed my test and absolutely nothing was going to change my mind, no way, not possible.

I bought a 1200cc naked.

:stupid:

I wanted a bandit when I passed my test ............then I saw sense :mrgreen:

I agree. I was never ever going to ride something like the Bobber, until I sat on one. Take it in stages, it's far better in the long run.

Check the number of bikes for sale with less than a thousand miles on them. A lot of people buy bikes they soon regret.

I started off with sports bikes, got a naked now and like the more comfortable riding position. Not so good if you want to go over 70mph but on todays roads you're lucky if you can do 60.

I bought a 1200cc naked.

:stupid:

I 100% wanted an r6 (posts here to prove it) until I passed my test, then I sat on one 😬 Like a rack. I bought a litre naked.

:up: BANDITS ARE AWESOME :up:

(At least the K6 is, because that’s what I’ve got) :lol:

Nah, 1250 is the way to go. :wink:

I use a 125 to practice everything I got wrong during my lessons. I could focus on all the things I knew I was shaky at. That way I doubled my training time and had something to practice lane splitting like a pizza delivery boy!

I would caution against a 1200 CC bike as a first bike. I also learned on the ER-6N. Once you have really opened that up you won't want more for a while. I actually found it too upright. I downsized to a CBR500R which has plenty of power (>100mph) and more suited to my stance (like road cycling).

In the Battle of Britain most fighter pilots were killed on their first 5 sorties. If they lived through that, there was a much higher chance of staying alive. Think of it like that. Throw a 125 into a couple of corners too fast and see how that scares you, or drop it and live. Then think that you will have a bike 50% heavier with 10 times the power.