Portable generator for bike in storage?

Squealy_Wheelie

Cheers for all the suggestions everyone. Just ordered a motobatt battery upgrade. Hopefully this’ll solve it.

The dude that took her away when she first went dead when she was still under warranty said he’d replaced the battery, think he was talking out of his arse based on comments here

Cheers for all the suggestions everyone. Just ordered a motobatt battery upgrade. Hopefully this’ll solve it.

The dude that took her away when she first went dead when she was still under warranty said he’d replaced the battery, think he was talking out of his arse based on comments here

certainly sounds like it!

He probably just charged it!

If you still get trouble with the new battery then you have another problem more than likely a drain or lack of charge

I use a motobatt on my bike and they are great :thumb:

Never had any issues with the battery discharging on my Intruder, nor have I heard that was an issue with them :scratch:

I'd look at getting a new battery, I just bought one for approx £25 as my bike has been stood for last 18 months in my garage :oops:

For reference the Main electrical issues I have come across were usually related to the spark plugs or the ht leads :thumb:

Never had any issues with the battery discharging on my Intruder, nor have I heard that was an issue with them :scratch:

I'd look at getting a new battery, I just bought one for approx £25 as my bike has been stood for last 18 months in my garage :oops:

For reference the Main electrical issues I have come across were usually related to the spark plugs or the ht leads :thumb:

Cheers [mention]Tiggie[/mention] funnily enough i just changed the spark plugs a few days ago, they were soaked after not being able to start the bike

Edit to add: any problems with the cold and starting?

Edited by Squealy_Wheelie

I would check for battery drain and if non replace the battery.

Just off to look online to see what that entails lol :roll:

Take the earth lead off the battery , then put your multimeter between the negative battery terminal and a good earth. Set to measure current. There should be virtually nothing, sometimes just a few milliamperes if you have an alarm running. Anything more and there’s a drain.

Surely one of the latest batch of power packs is what you need, for example :

DBPOWER 300A 8000mAh Portable Mini Car Jump Starter, Emergency Battery Booster Pack, Power Bank with LED Flashlight for Phone Tablet and More, 2.5L Petrol Engine.

It's guaranteed to start your bike even if your battery is flat, it will charge your smart phone and you can carry it in a (large) pocket. Don't ask me how all that's possible, but I've seen them in operation and they're amazing.

That’s what I was referring to above. Mine is the DB power 16500mah which is a belting bit of kit. The look on people’s faces when it fires their car is a hoot. They can’t believe something so small packs so punch power.

Surely one of the latest batch of power packs is what you need, for example :

DBPOWER 300A 8000mAh Portable Mini Car Jump Starter, Emergency Battery Booster Pack, Power Bank with LED Flashlight for Phone Tablet and More, 2.5L Petrol Engine.

It's guaranteed to start your bike even if your battery is flat, it will charge your smart phone and you can carry it in a (large) pocket. Don't ask me how all that's possible, but I've seen them in operation and they're amazing.

That’s what I was referring to above. Mine is the DB power 16500mah which is a belting bit of kit. The look on people’s faces when it fires their car is a hoot. They can’t believe something so small packs so punch power.

These things sound worth having no matter what. Cheers for the info about the meter, will check it out when i next have access to my bike :)

Was talking to someone today and they think the heated handlebar grips are doing it with it being a 125 bike.

There are times when i’m on a 20mph road and the grips start flashing, indicating not enough power. That combined with mostly short trips out.

So its possible these are definitely not helping and why my battery needs help.

Might try some cheap, crappy wrap around handlebar heaters plugged into external usb battery for a month and compare the difference.

[mention]Squealy_Wheelie[/mention] that to me suggests that you're not getting enough charge to the battery

I have the same grips and if they detect that the bike is not charging they turn off

I have Raynauds disease so can’t live without them i’m afraid. Even on the highest red hot setting, i’m still in agony. There aren’t any gloves that remotely help, i’ve tried a shit load.

The agony becomes too unbearable to concentrate without them.

I have to wear gloves in bed in winter lol anything under 20 degrees C sets them off

I have Raynauds disease so can’t live without them i’m afraid. Even on the highest red hot setting, i’m still in agony. There aren’t any gloves that remotely help, i’ve tried a shit load.

The agony becomes too unbearable to concentrate without them.

I have to wear gloves in bed in winter lol anything under 20 degrees C sets them off

Ah, that makes sense then. Someone I know solved that by moving to Barbados, but it's a drastic solution.

I got a motobatt on my bike and if I leave it a cupl weeks between starts it takes a bit to start the battery tho still has tons life left after 10 mins of trying to start the bike .also it only takes 6 mins from flat to full charge on these batteries..

How about this then ? I went to Halfords today to get some oil and I had a look at the bike batteries. Because they are no longer allowed to sell the gel batteries with a separate acid pack , they have to put the acid in themselves. When do they do that you may ask ? At the point of purchase ? No , in f*****g JUNE 2018 that's when ! ( That's what the stickers said ) So when you shell out £50 for a a YTX14BS, it's been sat dormant on a shelf for six months . And did they put it on an Optimate every couple of weeks ? Like heck did they . Food for thought here .

How about this then ? I went to Halfords today to get some oil and I had a look at the bike batteries. Because they are no longer allowed to sell the gel batteries with a separate acid pack , they have to put the acid in themselves. When do they do that you may ask ? At the point of purchase ? No , in f*****g JUNE 2018 that's when ! ( That's what the stickers said ) So when you shell out £50 for a a YTX14BS, it's been sat dormant on a shelf for six months . And did they put it on an Optimate every couple of weeks ? Like heck did they . Food for thought here .

Are you sure?

I bought a battery from there recently and I had to put the acid in

The box states something about June 2018 but I put the acid in

but you go buy a normal sealed battery that already has acid in it from manufacturer .no different . they have a recharge by date that can be over a year from filling .

Are you sure?

I bought a battery from there recently and I had to put the acid in

The box states something about June 2018 but I put the acid in

I remember reading recently that new regulations mean they can't sell empty batteries with the acid to be installed by the purchaser. I'm always wary of how long batteries have been on the shelf so look to buy from somewhere with a high turnover.