Suzuki GSX 1250 Spark plug change/coils

Arturs

Hi All,

My bike is Suzuki GSX 1250FA 2012 27k miles so far. I have changed spark plugs today. Tough job, but at the end got there. But to my surprise when removing ignition coils, those looked in very bad shape, all 4 of them are very rusty. First thought was to change them, but on other hand, if bike starts, drives and has plenty of power, decided to put back old ones for now. Tests I did was mesure ohms between two pins on actual coil and all of them read 1.3 ohms, also checked if spark is coming out and each of them passed the test. Question for you owners, once you changed the spark plugs, was it the same story as mine, when coils looks in bad shape? Could be common issue? I will try to add pictures as well. Depending on your answers might need to look for replacment, if so which ones to go for? Thanks

1680662635_20181230_155811_HDRya.thumb.jpg.90021d8d36033d07acc9df11adf815eb.jpg

597786016_20181230_190056_HDRplug.thumb.jpg.3e93561822aa5213684e733b644cf70d.jpg

Edited by Arturs

The o ring at the top is supposed to keep moisture out of the spark plug tunnel. If you don't seal it from the atmosphere, one day the spark plug will have rotted and it won't come out.

Hmm..it looks like o ring is not doing its job, should you use some kind of silicone to seal it properly? Thanks

Yeah, but a new O ring would help as well.

The only o ring was there is where the rubber meets the corossion and its attached to the coil itself. If there would be need for silicone, what kind of product to go for? As some of them might harm the upper engine.

The only o ring was there is where the rubber meets the corossion and its attached to the coil itself. If there would be need for silicone, what kind of product to go for? As some of them might harm the upper engine.

Interesting, I had a look at the parts catalogue and there doesn't seem to be anything to keep the water out except the two built in flanges . There is no separate O ring listed . So what would happen if you added some anyway ? They would slot neatly between the two flanges and would probably make a better seal . I had a look at coils on eBay and a few of them are pretty manky looking as well so this is obviously a design flaw .

wp_ss_20181230_0002.thumb.png.b0d969d878cd74e81b12cb3e92a00520.png

wp_ss_20181230_0001.thumb.png.c37183d89c04565f3e40a35cb149e263.png

Interesting, I had a look at the parts catalogue and there doesn't seem to be anything to keep the water out except the two built in flanges . There is no separate O ring listed . So what would happen if you added some anyway ? They would slot neatly between the two flanges and would probably make a better seal . I had a look at coils on eBay and a few of them are pretty manky looking as well so this is obviously a design flaw .

Would like to see if anyone of this bike model had the same issue, if so then I guess some kind of sealant is needed.

Those coil sticks look like they have an o-ring on them.....but it's not listed as a separate part.....see if you can remove one and measure it and search for replacements of the same dimensions. I also thought that there were small drain holes at the bottom of the plug Wells, to let water drain out.....but they tend to block up? Or did I just dream that?.... :wink:

Those coil sticks look like they have an o-ring on them.....but it's not listed as a separate part.....see if you can remove one and measure it and search for replacements of the same dimensions. I also thought that there were small drain holes at the bottom of the plug Wells, to let water drain out.....but they tend to block up? Or did I just dream that?.... :wink:

Look again , its an optical illusion.

wp_ss_20181230_0003.thumb.png.950ee3be31eec090c11455d37869f7de.png

You're absolutely right, Bob.....need to clean my glasses......but, as you say, it may be possible to find an o-ring that'll fit in that groove..... 8-)

You're absolutely right, Bob.....need to clean my glasses......but, as you say, it may be possible to find an o-ring that'll fit in that groove..... 8-)

Thanks, looks like Suzuki got this wrong . Have a look at these pics . Note how the Tourmax aftermarket ones have been designed differently , presumably to cure this very problem.

s-l500.jpg.ffd69dd86cf181b5a811c809466387fd.jpg

wp_ss_20181230_0006.thumb.png.2ada88966cbef6b9f8c49dd63e75c325.png

wp_ss_20181230_0004.thumb.png.791ae4c2080090a60f24f7fb80ec166b.png

Spot on on this one. As I was cleaning the spark plug hole before removing them, there was a small hole, so this might be for draining, not sure if it is. But if it was for all four cilinders it must be. Question is where the water would go?

Thanks, looks like Suzuki got this wrong . Have a look at these pics . Note how the Tourmax aftermarket ones have been designed differently , presumably to cure this very problem.

On these ones there are seals between those grooves, probably for the fix of the problem, will keep these as an option for the future.