Hell on Earth

MarkW

I picked my mother up yesterday so she could spend a few days with us over the New Year. I suppose I'd better think of something to say, because it'll be my turn to speak soon.

It is our family paradox that the more tedious, pointless and relentless piffle my mother inflicts on me the less inclined I am to call her, meaning that when I do call her she has all the more tedious and pointless piffle to inflict on me. This morning she has been wittering on about the Mistral:

"It blows for hours at a time - just a constant, relentless, infuriating noise that you can't get away from and that eventually drives people insane. You can't imagine what that must be like, can you?"

- "Yes."

My mum is at war with her old iphone "can you come and sort this bloody phone out! It wants a password!... I've had a message from Google.... Tell me again (for the tenth time) WHY do I need to sign in to Google!? Why have I got bloody three messaging apps? what's the difference? What do you mean data? What's WiFi?...

Oh it might as well be in chuffing Chinese! "

She does well though for 84....

Just bought her a Samsung A6. Got me tin hat ready :mrgreen:

Edited by Fleck

I guess our offspring will get just as annoyed with us over our complete inability to understand whatever technology is around in the future.

Mine won't, because I haven't got any. I'll be driving somebody up the wall in a nursing home. :lol:

My mum is at war with her old iphone "can you come and sort this bloody phone out! It wants a password!... I've had a message from Google.... Tell me again (for the tenth time) WHY do I need to sign in to Google!? Why have I got bloody three messaging apps? what's the difference? What do you mean data? What's WiFi?...

I spent a happy couple of hours sorting out my mum's Gmail account which was suspended after an unauthorized number tried to access it. I spent ages trying to figure out who this number was.

After resetting all her log in details and password and getting the account working again she then showed me her shiny new smartphone. And then the penny dropped.... she'd tried to access her account from her new phone before they'd switched the number on it.

I spent a happy couple of hours sorting out my mum's Gmail account which was suspended after an unauthorized number tried to access it. I spent ages trying to figure out who this number was.

After resetting all her log in details and password and getting the account working again she then showed me her shiny new smartphone. And then the penny dropped.... she'd tried to access her account from her new phone before they'd switched the number on it.

Yeah had all that setting this new Samsung phone up, as well as Apple account warnings, apple cloud back up failures. Account password recovery etc. Makes it worse because I'm changing from talktalk mobile to o2 too, so new micro sim needs activating with the old number, everybody is off work so a flippin nightmare. :shock:

Told her all will be easy when it's finished... But I'll be on call out for the first few days :mrgreen:

I've had hours of "fun" sorting out tech stuff for my Mum and Dad.

I'd set up an online blood test account for my Dad and Mum wanted herself adding, must have been on the phone for about an hour trying to walk her through it. :D

Be thankful you still have a mum and try to be more tolerant. Mine doesn't like me to get my phone out of my pocket in case it " Upsets all my central heating " She's probably seen these adverts for Hive .

I seem to alternate between fixing grandkids toys and being my Mums personal DIY and I.T. Fixer.

When did I ever find the time to work?

Took my grandsons Nerf blaster ( Xmas prezzie) apart as it had jammed - loads of plastic bits and springs etc - bloody nightmare to fix but worth it all to see the smile on his face and the big hug !!

I got the same off my Mum for sorting out her sky box.

I don’t grumble ( much )

I seem to alternate between fixing grandkids toys and being my Mums personal DIY and I.T. Fixer.

Took my grandsons Nerf blaster ( Xmas prezzie) apart as it had jammed - loads of plastic bits and springs etc - bloody nightmare to fix but worth it all to see the smile on his face and the big hug !!

I don’t grumble ( much )

Should have put some pics in the pit stop section , I would have liked to have seen the insides of a Nerf Blaster .

I don’t grumble ( much )

Should have put some pics in the pit stop section , I would have liked to have seen the insides of a Nerf Blaster .

Thought of putting it on the air rifle thread, but thought it would be seen as piss taking... should’ve really!!

Wish my mum was still here... even if it was to moan about :(

PM me your address and I'll send you mine.

Couple of pics will do ... nothing Pervy .

But if that’s all you got :wink:

Wish my mum was still here... even if it was to moan about :(

PM me your address and I'll send you mine.

Couple of pics will do ... nothing Pervy .

But if that’s all you got :wink:

And you almost had me believing you had normal feelings for a moment :lol:

I guess our offspring will get just as annoyed with us over our complete inability to understand whatever technology is around in the future.

Why wait I take pleasure in letting my daughter work it out for me...

"Ooh Mark - look at that rabbit!"

- "You mean the one that looks exactly like a seagull?"

"Yes. I don't think I've ever seen one like that before. Why do you suppose it's so white?"

- "BECAUSE IT'S A F*CKING SEAGULL!"

:bang:

AND IN THE SAME VEIN:

"Ooh Mark, what's this song on the radio called?"

- "Brown Eyed Girl."

"Oh that's right. Who's it by? I really like it."

- "Van Morrison."

"Ah yes, of course. I can't remember how he died, but he was very young."

- "That was Jim Morrison."

"Oh yes, I remember now - Van Morrison's that whiny northern ponce who thinks he's God's gift to music."

- "No, that's Morrissey."

"So which one is Van Morrison, then?"

- "Do you know Brown Eyed Girl?"

"Yes..."

- "He sang that."

"Oh - I like Brown Eyed Girl..."

:popcorn:

AND IN THE SAME VEIN:

"Ooh Mark, what's this song on the radio called?"

- "Brown Eyed Girl."

"Oh that's right. Who's it by? I really like it."

- "Van Morrison."

"Ah yes, of course. I can't remember how he died, but he was very young."

- "That was Jim Morrison."

"Oh yes, I remember now - Van Morrison's that whiny northern ponce who thinks he's God's gift to music."

- "No, that's Morrissey."

"So which one is Van Morrison, then?"

- "Do you know Brown Eyed Girl?"

"Yes..."

- "He sang that."

"Oh - I like Brown Eyed Girl..."

:popcorn:

Mum's you got to love em .. wish mine was still alive as I miss both my parents . .

Old ppl and new tech don't mix lol