Jump to content
  • Sign up now

    Registration is quick and easy 

Guitar shocks .


fastbob
 Share

Recommended Posts

My electric guitar set up consists of a cheap Strat copy plugged into Behringer V Amp which is in turn plugged into my ordinary stereo amp and speakers . All well and good apart from the small but irritating electric shocks that I'm getting every time my wrist brushes the guitar bridge. This doesn't happen when I use my practice amp so I don't think it's the guitar. Any suggestions ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Firstly, stop playing it :D


You're right, it's not the guitar - it never is. If you're getting a shock it's coming from whatever it's plugged into. If it doesn't do it when plugged into the practice amp then it's the V-Amp or ordinary stereo. Check them out, or the socket they're plugged into, is earthed properly. Get the practice amp checked out too while you're at it - just in case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

B’jeesus. Please tell me you use a circuit breaker? If not get one, they’re penny’s. If you don’t think it’s necessary look it up, you’ll find lists of musicians electrocuted on stage, let alone the normal folk who zapped themselves practicing- not all survive!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember a band practice of many moons ago when our guitarist suddenly launched his guitar across the room, much to our surprise and amusement. He had got a nasty electric shock from the amp iirc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies, perhaps I should have mentioned that these are only tiny tingles and not full on electric shocks . I've also noticed that I get the same sensation directly from the amp casing if I brush against it . My old stereo amp did exactly the same thing , what's going on here ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

you will find its more likely due to your stereo is double insulated ( only two wires in the mains lead blue and brown ( negative and Live))

Whilst most amps will carry three leads live ,neg and earth .

look on back of stereo there may be a grounding screw with an earth symbol that you could attach a wire to and take it to earth .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.