how frequent do you change your oil filter? cb125f

potatobroxd

Hi there,

I have an upcoming service to clean my internal oil filter (strainer) on my cb125f at 2500. It indicates that I need to clean it every oil change so 2500 miles and 5000 miles 7500 miles and so on.

Although, it takes a long time to remove the whole clutch cover and replace the gasket every oil change.

So will there be any issues if I delay it to every other oil change e.g instead of 2.5k i do it at 5k?

*i change my oil every stated period in the service book

Thanks!

Edited by potatobroxd

If the book says every 2.5k then that's what I'd do. Oil is the lifeblood of your engine. I'm a bit surprised that it's that frequent to be honest but they don't hold a huge amount of oil so err on the side of better safe than sorry. Once the filter gets dirty its ability to clear the oil of particles that could block oil passages is reduced.

The strainer is a faff to pull out, mainly as you have to be careful with the clutch cover gasket. If you tear that you need to replace it or risk an oil leak. So I used to keep one spare just in case.

I noted if you used a good oil on time, the strainer didn't accumulate any debris. So in the end I gave it a blast of brake cleaner every 2nd oil change. This is obviously not what the service book suggests. But I had seen one on a bike that had never cleaned the strainer in over 15k miles and it was accumulating debris around the outside but still largely clear.

• Like 1

That does seem like a short interval to be honest. My Honda 125 the book says every 7500 miles to clean it. Apparently on the newest ones it is now every 10k. An oil change every 2500 miles though.

• 3 years later...

I know my "beasts" are a wee bit bigger than a 125.

Spending around £60 in top grade oil for the pan doesn't make any sense to try and save £10 on a new filter so I change the filter with the oil.

Because the oil I use is stated to last for 20k miles I do a service at 10k - 15k and replace the filter with the oil.

Last filter I had was an Hiflo which end up being affected by rust, yes I ride when I have to regardless of weather.

Now I use K&N as they have a superior quality.

12 minutes ago, Riley said:

Honda just advise their own brand for stroke 10 30 if memory serves and for such a small bike that only takes 0.8 on a oil drain 0.9 on a filter and drain. 

It's every 4000 miles 

That is the difference between a 125 and a 1300 "beast" :)

Honda doesn't own an oil refinery, so they don't have their own brand.

Similar to wheel bearing which are manufactured by NSK and then put into a very expensive Honda bag and sold as OEM for 10 times the cost.

Personally, I have been using Castrol since I started to be responsible for the maintenance of any vehicle (car or otherwise) and have no intention to change. Castrol is one of the top brands and very reliable.

If you're talking about under 1lt of oil then probably you don't need to change the filter as frequently because, 1 the amount of filtered product is reduced, 2 the intervals (for the filter) recommended by Honda will be longer than the 4k miles.

Keep in mind that any motorbike manufacturer will advise a "safe" mileage for service for average quality products. Go for proper high-quality products and that safe mileage can easily be doubled without any risk.