What is the point of a service

BIKERDAD

I always have my bikes serviced during the winter, not because of any discount, though that's always an incentive. But, because they can always fit the bike in on a day that is convenient to me and usually within days of the phonecall. Rather than weeks in the future.

Next time, try negotiating the cost of the first service into the purchase price. And what main dealer wouldn't have a fault code reader??

one in carlisle .. and i just did it myself .. and frankly saved money and hassle .. the risk is at my

own surety

My local dealer has winter labour rates that are lower due to lack of demand. Get your bike serviced in December or certainly before Easter when demand rockets as everyone wants their bike sorted after winter hibernation.

they will charge whatever the market will bear .. hence the seasonal fluctuation ... but there is a segment of the market that will vote with their feet .. or tools .. they priced themselves out some time ago with me ..

.Labour for simple jobs is often high because of all the parts that need removing to get at what is to be serviced. For example, changing spark plugs. In a car, most just need a simple cover panel removed (if anything) and that is it. Most bikes need at least the petrol tank removed and that can also mean removing fairing parts

My car didn't have spark plugs (yea it was petrol ) it had a heater rail which in turn ment half the engine out to change . .

It was only when I changed the brakes pads that I fecked up the servo .as it had a non return valve in it so when I pushed the calipers open to put in new pads bang want.the servo which was to fix you had to take the engine out the car . Citroen C8. .if any you have one and want to change the pads YOU HAVE TO OPEN THE BLEED NIPPLE TO.RELEAES THE BRAKE FLUID WON'T BE CALIPERS OPEN TO FIT NEW PADS IN . don't push them back. £900 it would cost me.to fix the car . One crappy little valve . Ended up trading 61 plate Citroen C8 for £500..

I’ve been quoted £300 for the annual service on my bike, if it wasn’t in warranty I’d go to an independent, thought I might as well get the service done at the same time as the endless list of recalls :shock: .

Brutal mate. Get yourself a decent jap bike ;-)

I’ve been quoted £300 for the annual service on my bike, if it wasn’t in warranty I’d go to an independent, thought I might as well get the service done at the same time as the endless list of recalls :shock: .

I might just do that, waiting until 2020 if the rumours are to be believed :D .

What rumours? Or was that a joke about jap bikes not being unreliable?!

.Labour for simple jobs is often high because of all the parts that need removing to get at what is to be serviced. For example, changing spark plugs. In a car, most just need a simple cover panel removed (if anything) and that is it. Most bikes need at least the petrol tank removed and that can also mean removing fairing parts

My car didn't have spark plugs (yea it was petrol ) it had a heater rail which in turn ment half the engine out to change . .

It was only when I changed the brakes pads that I fecked up the servo .as it had a non return valve in it so when I pushed the calipers open to put in new pads bang want.the servo which was to fix you had to take the engine out the car . Citroen C8. .if any you have one and want to change the pads YOU HAVE TO OPEN THE BLEED NIPPLE TO.RELEAES THE BRAKE FLUID WON'T BE CALIPERS OPEN TO FIT NEW PADS IN . don't push them back. £900 it would cost me.to fix the car . One crappy little valve . Ended up trading 61 plate Citroen C8 for £500..

What petrol car do you have that does not use spark plugs?, only one I know of that's planing on compression ignition for petrol is mazda new sky active and that's not out yet and even that has to use spark plugs when it's warming up.

Apparently there is a RVF1000RR in the works from Honda, if this is true I’d ditch the Panigale for it in a heartbeat, loved my RVF400 years ago!.

Apparently there is a RVF1000RR in the works from Honda, if this is true I’d ditch the Panigale for it in a heartbeat, loved my RVF400 years ago!.

If its anything like the rumours about suzuki doing a TL1000 then don't hold your breath :lol:

If its anything like the rumours about suzuki doing a TL1000 then don't hold your breath :lol:

I think there is actually some truth in it this time!, I’m hoping so anyway :lol: .