Helmet Advice

Hi all,

Currently have an Airoh Triple (Flip face) and looking to renew.

After a good helmet at a decent price (not paying £400-500 for AGV Replica's!Even though I'd love one) so lets say £150-£250 ish.

Cheers,

Ad.

You don't want a cheap helmet.

You want a good quality helmet which is a good fit for you, at a bargain price.

Get in touch with any bike dealers in your area and ask what they have. You can also look on line and see how prices compare, but you need to try them on to ensure they fit properly and are comfortable before you buy.

Good luck !

I bought an HJC IS-17 helmet last year. It doesn't have a flip front or anything but it's comfortable and my bike instructor says he likes HJC helmets so I figure I didn't make a terrible choice. It was just over £150 I think.

I bought an HJC IS-17 helmet last year. It doesn't have a flip front or anything but it's comfortable and my bike instructor says he likes HJC helmets so I figure I didn't make a terrible choice. It was just over £150 I think.

I use an IS 17 for commuting.

Had over 4 years. Very good value for money

Based on the wise words of advice given to me from the forum folk here before I bought a helmet back in September-

Go along to your nearest large stockist (J&S, Helmet city etc) and try them on. Find the fit you like (the sales assistant will know what helmets are in your price range) ask if they price match then have a cup of tea and think about it whilst googling the best price for that helmet. Go back with the cheapo price on your phone, buy lovely helmet.

I ended up with a Shoei like many other people on here because even though it wasn’t the helmet I intitially wanted it was obviously a much better more comfortable fit. I haven’t regretted for a moment switching to a helmet that wasn’t even on the list becasue it’s comfortable, quiet, doesn’t lift or move even at high speeds and somehow does this without causing any pinch points.

Trying them on, taking advice from people in the shop in the know about head n helmet shape and taking a moment to consider the purchase is time well spent. You wouldn’t expect one make of jeans to fit the worlds population, same with helmets, we’re all different.

If your hearts set on a particular helmet ‘Helmet city’ will get in whatever helmet you want to try on with no obligation to buy.

Hi guys,

Appreciate the responses.

My closest J&S is in Preston, I think a ride down this weekend is in order, even just to get my size if I don't buy one yet!

ATB,

Ad.

[mention]AdLad96[/mention]

Quite happy with my spada helmet, you can order them in to stockists to try on and see what you think, if you like it then buy it there and then if not they return it and i think spada foots the cost.

Couple stockists nearby to you :

-Preston superbike

-Ghostbikes

-Chorley Yamaha Centre

-Wigan Yamaha

My recomendation would be to order two types you like and if not sure on size get what you think and one bigger.

Currently using Spada RP one (red) and pretty happy :)

Good luck!

I'll pile in with the HJC team - I have a Bell race star but also an hjc Is17 which is a great lid and superb value for money - multi angle visor, drop down internal sun visor and you can get them for £90 now which is nuts.

But you can easily afford an agv if you want one https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/2728/(1;product_price;ASC;0-0;m32)/page_1/max_20

Mine is a shark flip front that can be worn as a piss pot open face type. Was about £250 for plain white, coloured about £100 more. Very comfortable with good side visibility... It's called series 3 or summat :thumb:

My £150 (as bought) Is17 is actually better than my £300 Bell I think. Sun visor, multi position visor, better chin strap... But the bell looks better. It is quieter too tbf.

Next up I want this.

Screenshot_20190125-192124_Ecosia.thumb.jpg.2fa94cdceaeb69dd418956c6675459cd.jpg

Mainly *because* it's so expensive :-)

Good advice above........you really need to try lids on before buying......fit is so important. ..... 8-)

I seem to be the only person on earth whose dome fits perfectly in agv, shoei, hjc, Bell and arai. But you deffo have to find the ride size for sure.

Caberg Duke is a flip front, scores full marks with sharp and is reasonably priced to, the is17 also scores full marks and is comfy lid for good price.

That's what I use - not the quietest helmet but fine round town, on the motorway I wear earplugs anyway. No complaints for the price.

Caberg Duke is a flip front, scores full marks with sharp and is reasonably priced to, the is17 also scores full marks and is comfy lid for good price.

That's what I use - not the quietest helmet but fine round town, on the motorway I wear earplugs anyway. No complaints for the price.

Well having been out in the much more expensive gt air, there is little difference between the caberg and the shoie, caberg noise is slightly higher pitch, internal airflow is better on the gt though.

When I chose my last helmet doing Internet research I thought I was going to go for the caberg Duke however I really didn't like the fit on my head. I wanted a lid with a top sharp rating my local shop then suggested the hjc is max 2 flip front fitted great and paid £120. Go try them on but love the hjc value and quality

When I chose my last helmet doing Internet research I thought I was going to go for the caberg Duke however I really didn't like the fit on my head. I wanted a lid with a top sharp rating my local shop then suggested the hjc is max 2 flip front fitted great and paid £120. Go try them on but love the hjc value and quality

That lid only gets 4 on sharp not 5

Yes correct a 4 star lid it was sufficient for my needs but 100% on the latch test compared to 87% on the caberg. But I guess that was irrevevant for me as the caberg wasn't such a good fit on my head. It's all down to informed choices and decisions. In any case if I'm in a collision needing that 5th star I'll have to rely on the rest of my body holding up. From my work experiences it's the catastrophic blunt traumas that the rest of ur body suffers that's more likely to get ya!

Everything comes down to personal choice and fit, although I beg to differ on the impact to the helmet versus the rest of the body, I was unfortunate enough to witness a young girl killed in an accident where she was walking the bike backwards, car reversed into her as she was paddling, pushed her over, head, curb, dead.

Your most likely right bit if the 5 star caberg didn't fit my head well then it's not a 5 star rating, whatevwr size I tried it wasn't right for my head the hjc was so in terms of safety it would have been negligible. I've experienced many rtcs over 20 years and investigated quite a few. More than interestingly been to coroners court where helmet ratings were part of that investigation. Based on all those experiences and facts I like to look at the safety rating and fit as the 2 need to go together something those selling don't always understand or know as its not common knowledge. Sorry for the rant but an area of business thats close to my heart but important