Theory passed, CBT runs out in a couple of months. DAS ?

So finally got round to doing my theory this week and passed (even though I thought id failed it on both parts) :lol:

Now I think my CBT runs out in May so am I better getting this done befor starting the DAS or would it be included in it ?

Also has anyone in the Taunton, Somerset area got any advice on who to use - there are about 3 local training schools but all seem to have great revies for CBT's and not so great for the rest :?

Normally included in DAS but don't really matter as my local school just knocked price of CBT off the DAS so not costing more or less either way but depends on school.

You need CBT before doing DAS. Maybe some schools offer it as a package but mine treated it seperately.

Paid around £500+ for 3 day training which included mod1 and mod2 exam. My CBT was a seperate thing done months prior for around £120.

If you did your DAS 2 years ago you would of held a full bike license for 2 years which brings insurance down. I wouldnt delay any further, you save £££ in the long run

If you can afford it then definitely do your das - no reason not to. Otherwise its another 8 hours cbt, and your theory will run out after 2 years anyway and you'll have to redo it too I think.

[mention]Paulpen[/mention] I wanted to do my DAS in Taunton because I didn’t fancy taking my test in Bristol with the kamikaze cyclists, constant speed limit changes and poorly marked roundabout lanes but I ended up there (and it was fine) because the three main schools in Taunton didn’t appeal at all.

The reviews for I think it was called Durstan elms wiped that one off the list straight away. The Somerset Motorcycle Training website had some ranting from the clearly frustrated owners about pass rates and was written in a manner that let you know they were very fed up with students and that left Taunton School of Motorcycling who I went to visit and they told me I should go for an A2 licence because their A2 bike was the smaller bike and I couldn’t touch the ground on their full size bikes.

Every school (apart from ACE in Bristol) told me I’d need a minimum of 6 days training without ever having seen me. After a year on a 125 I didn’t agree.

I did my CBT in Exeter with Triumph training and found them very pleasant. Exeter test centre also has very high pass rates (I presume because the roads are easier) so perhaps have a look there if you don’t mind travelling.

I did just type motorcycle training into google maps and it’s thrown up a lot more than the three I’ve mentioned above so perhaps there’s some new start ups that are worth a look?

Good luck. Let us know how you get on :thumb:

Didnt expect so many helpful replies :cheers:

Via - never considered that so could save me the best part of £80 !

workpeter - I do currently have one but it runs out in May so I assume its safer to renew this so I have two years left on both my CBT and theory before hitting the DAS ?

geofferz - Ive been saving up for it but until I hear back from from the places ive emailed i dont really know costings - it seems to have quite a spread of prices !

exportmanuk - Correct indeed. I dont know if there are odd rules in place going by the way it all seems to work. Knowing my luck ill do my MOD1, CBT would run out and then id have to do the MOD1 again or something :?

Slowlycatchmonkey -

I know exactly what you mean as ive been advised to go to Yeovil but thats quite a trek and it could be just as bad !

Durston has current reviews of cancelled bookings that are then denied and not enough bikes even on test days.

SMT seems to have the best current reviews but then that could be for only CBT and not DAS but there is the odd complaint and all about the same things.

TSM is who I did my CBT with and the guy was great. Trouble is that its not him that does the DAS and there are alot of complants about the DAS trainers attitude !

My big concern is paying for a block booking and then not liking the instructor of the first day :cry:

Maybe ill email and research those further away too - I was not sure if that was the done thing tbh as thought learners would be better on their local roads ?

Das is usually 3, 4 or 5 days. I think I booked 4 - Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday off and mod 1 and 2 on Tuesday, and I had the option to add the Monday if the instructor or I felt the need. I don't think a test centre will recommend 3 days ever, but maybe if you've been riding lots on a 125 then you can push for it. Cost will depend on the number of days. I think most exclude fuel and your food for the time. £400-700 including test fees I think is average depending on the days?

Local roads that you know will be easier, but it's luck of the draw which of the 4 routes your mod2 will be on - mine was a nice quiet b road - dead easy.

Feel free to ask to meet your instructor before booking. Liking them and them being thorough may not be mutually exclusive! My guy told terrible jokes (at least the mic in 1 way so you don't have to pretend to laugh) and took us thto the sketchiest cafes with the worst food imaginable, but he got me through first time (my mate too).

[mention]Paulpen[/mention] I think it’s wise to go to the place and meet the actual instructors. They usually tend to reconvene at the place lunch time but ones I met were happy to give me 10 mins at 8amish before they started instructing. You of kind need to have a look at them to see if your happy to hand over that cash.

I didn’t like the DAS instructor at TSM. She looked me up and down an exhaled in that exasperated way that lets you know they don’t think much of you and that was before I’d even said hello. It’s easy to get very jaded when you work with the general public but she was telling me about two other women she had been teaching the day before (one had come off their bike and hurt their ankle) and it was quite a blaming story which for me sealed it as a definite no.

I thought the same as you that I’d be better off on roads I knew but in the end it didn’t matter at all. The training school will show you the dodgy bits where people make mistakes (like the weird offset traffic lights or poorly marked lanes) and you won’t be complacent because you know whats coming up, you’ll just ride the road in front of you as you should which in its own way is an advantage :thumb:

I’d go along to TSM and say hello because you never know, different strokes for different folks n all that. I just have a low tolerance for people who are miserable, tightly wound or lacking in humour. I tend to look for banter which really isn’t that necessary when it comes to learning to ride a bigger bike but I’d rather be laughed at than told off. I still laugh to myself about falling off slomo style in front of everyone because they ribbed me about it and made it fun.

A good school will advise you to split up your mod 1 and mod 2 by two weeks as this allows you to cancel the mod 2 training and test without losing any money should the first mod 1 no go so well. Some schools want it all up front and you can be locked into training times and tests you might not even be able to take- this allows them to charge you again for extra training and the bike for the test :evil:

Looking forward to hearing how you get on :thumb:

geofferz -

Ive budgeted a week and £600 so not too far off your experience. I do know that I will need to book it all well in advance due to getting time off at work :roll:

I know what you mean about the instructor - maybe the ones that give the most grief get the best results ?!

Slowlycatchymonkey -

Glad that its been suggested by you and geoff as means its not just me being a bit wet :lol:

My exact worry with TSM (and others going by the google reviews) although it is my most local.

I know what you mean with different roads too - knowing whats coming can sometimes make you switch off and then mess something up !

I work in the motor trade (car side) so banter is more appreciated than quiet awarknedness and id rather have a giggle about stuff than shouting which gets my back up.

Ive emailed the further away instructors too so will see what info comes in during the week :thumb:

So then - from all the emails sent on Sunday ive had 3 replies back :crybaby:

Durston have basically said they do 3 hour sessions, they would need to asses me to work out how many lesson and that I will need a new CBT. Blunt email but honest I suppose. It looks to be £85 for 3 hours or £620 for 25 hours including CBT and both MOD tests. All 2015 info so need to check this !

Triumph in Exeter apologised it took them a day to reply. They do intensive or spread training and again would want to asses me to work out a rought plan. They mention they have test slots most days and could complete everything before May. No costs on their website so need to check with them too.

TSM email was more personal and suggested a 4 day course miniumum and then maybe longer if needed. They advise 3 days training and the mod 1 a day or two after. Then if I pass the 4th day is prep for mod 2. From the website 4 days is £600 and includes the tests.

Currently im swayed towards TSM (despite initial thoughts) as they are the nearest to me and had the most personal and informative reply.

Ill give the rest that have not replied a couple more days before sending my replies to confirm costs with those that do reply :roll:

Done a year of back and foward to work (10 miles a day) and the odd trip out (30 miles).

I think after ive whittled it down ill pop into whoever it is to mee them / book in person :wink:

You’re just not going to need 4 days for mod 1. I’d be surprised if you need one!

Yup, I have a feeling the school I used would suggest day one mixed mod 1 and mod 2, day two more mod 2 and take your mod 1 test, day three take mod 2 test. Any other days as required for retakes if required.

• 2 weeks later...

Current situation is in order of most positive first :

Triumph in Exeter / Bransons in Yeovil or TSM locally

Ive got an hour each way to get the the Exeter and Yeovil ones but they seem to have good reviews and come accross really well.

The big difference is that Triumph advise 6 days and Bransons 2.5 :scratch:

If they are the same price I’d go with the increased no of training days or pick the one with the test centre with the highest pass rate and the best roads :thumb:

Personally I wouldn’t venture in the Bristol direction, the traffic and the tarmac is better further down- as long as it’s not the summer!

TSM is nice and close though :thumb:

Personally I wouldn’t venture in the Bristol direction, the traffic and the tarmac is better further down- as long as it’s not the summer!

Ha, I just recommended Bristol by PM :lol:

But I will fully admit I only have experience of that centre. Just found all the examiners reasonable and the roads easy enough to do a test on.

I'd also agree with more days training. I can't help but feel that those that do fewer days as standard hope it looks good to people shopping around ("oh, I could be done in half the time") and then just hover up the (potentially inevitable) retakes.

For some this will be on the only tuition they ever get if they never take further post-test training so it can't do any harm! :?

Ha, I just recommended Bristol by PM :lol:

But I will fully admit I only have experience of that centre. Just found all the examiners reasonable and the roads easy enough to do a test on.

I did mine in Bristol. Found the training school good, the examiners very pleasant and the roads ok. They’re just not as simple or easy as Taunton or Exeter who also have slightly higher pass rates. There’s not a lot in it.

Ta for the message - replied :wink:

Price will need calculating once I hear back from Yeovil as some are fixed price, some daily price, some include stuff that others dont etc - I didnt expect it to be this difficult with so much variation in all honesty !

Is there a register of pass rates etc or is it a word of mouth thing ?

Ta for the message - replied :wink:

Price will need calculating once I hear back from Yeovil as some are fixed price, some daily price, some include stuff that others dont etc - I didnt expect it to be this difficult with so much variation in all honesty !

Is there a register of pass rates etc or is it a word of mouth thing ?

Stats are published. Have a google and pick the legit sites.