Do I have to pay back anything? What are my rights?

Troy

Hi Bikerdad. You are describing a sense of what is right and wrong to your way of thinking. It does not make it law. In this case no contract means no comeback for the employer, who incidentally were not employing him/her but contracting them as self employed.

Starting to look at a similar issue myself. Started new job and now they are saying I need a training course to do a key part of the job but will be subject to a two year payback agreement. I'm not sure I want to stay so naturally am reluctant if I'm likely to hand in my notice and then be stuck with an unwanted financial commitment I can ill afford. Anywhere else I've worked if it's essential training they just pay for it but if its additional training that you would like to do as cpd but would still be beneficial to the organisation then they look at funding with a payback agreement.

Bit cheesed off as if it was made clear before I accepted the job I may well have not taken it. They seem a bit cheeky here, they tried to get one guy to pay for some training himself as they needed him to do it but said they couldn't finance it this year.

[mention]goat[/mention] I don’t like the sound of that at all. I might be inclined to let them know that due to 2year tie in you’ll be happy take the training after a settling in period of blah blah. I’d probably go for 6 months, should be long enough to suss out if you want to stay there and not so long they’ll get annoyed about it.

@goat I don’t like the sound of that at all. I might be inclined to let them know that due to 2year tie in you’ll be happy take the training after a settling in period of blah blah. I’d probably go for 6 months, should be long enough to suss out if you want to stay there and not so long they’ll get annoyed about it.

That's the plan, sort of. I tried to open the dialogue with an email, which got no reply. :tumble:

@goat I don’t like the sound of that at all. I might be inclined to let them know that due to 2year tie in you’ll be happy take the training after a settling in period of blah blah. I’d probably go for 6 months, should be long enough to suss out if you want to stay there and not so long they’ll get annoyed about it.

That's the plan, sort of. I tried to open the dialogue with an email, which got no reply. :tumble:

That’s not a good. How are you planning on handling the non response?

Laxatives in people's tea? Will try and find time for a little chat, likely to be quite awkward I should think.

Laxatives in people's tea? Will try and find time for a little chat, likely to be quite awkward I should think.

Be alright. If not I’ll lend you my JB weld :thumb: