bmw 650

skyrider

ok I hope im in the right section, what is the difference between a bmw g650gs and a f650gs and which is the better bike or are they both as good ?

Most obvious differences.. the 'F' bikes are now all parallel twins. though originally they were singles. (some of them)

The 'G' bikes are all singles.. and originally made in China.. but i think that came to an end a few years back. more than a few now that I think about it. The modern G engine is now made by BMW.. originally they were Austrian Rotax engines.

Of the 2... I would go for the 'F'... I owned an F with the same, though an 800, engine and it was great. The G is very much a GS on a budget.

thanks for the info Gerontious and is the G model the lighter one :scratch:

not by much.. not enough to notice anyway. 199KG versus 192KG for the 2012's

they will always feel lighter than any standard bike of the same CC.. with the petrol tank under the seat and the top of the engine about level with the seat. there is next to no weight above the seat aside from the battery.. i should say. this makes them feel very very light.

Edited by Gerontious

Oh these bikes can be the most stupidly named bikes on the planet I reckon...

Echo all of what [mention]Gerontious[/mention] has said, with the addition of some F650gs's are 800cc engines.

Also, the f700gs is the same, slightly differently tuned engine... It's replaced the f650gs, and has now been replaced by the f750, which is also a 800cc engine :roll: :lol:

Oh these bikes can be the most stupidly named bikes on the planet I reckon...

Echo all of what @Gerontious has said, with the addition of some F650gs's are 800cc engines.

Also, the f700gs is the same, slightly differently tuned engine... It's replaced the f650gs, and has now been replaced by the f750, which is also a 800cc engine :roll: :lol:

then before all that you had the f650 funduro and f650 strada just to make it more of a mine field :lol: