Question about my teeny tiny nuts

TomGrainger

Hi guys, having my annual "battery's dead, time for a week of pain," period of the year. Battery has charged up fine but when I've gone to put it back in, the nut that holds the hex screw onto the battery terminal has magically vanished. I've no idea how because the one on the other side is pretty firmly wedged into place and I'd bet I would struggle to get it out by force. So I need to be a lonesome little nut before I can fully secure the battery into place. Firstly, im not sure on the size. The mechanics put the battery in after my last failed MOT (whichcamewithlotsofworkimnotsurewasentirelynecessarybutletsleavethatalonefornow) but I know I used a 13mm socket to take the screw off (bit fiddly to get a screwdriver in the space). So I need to know what size nut to go with the screw. Is it as simple as 13mm screw, 13mm nut?

Secondly, am I gonna have to buy a pack of 20 and have 19 spares lying around? Thanks guys, I'm a mechanical disaster so any help appreciated.

Thanks, these are ideal, im just going to have to find some that will deliver quicker wven if I need to pay premium on delivery.

As regards to lettinf it go flat its a tough one. I'm constantly bumped from placement to placement in totally different places. Sometimes it's possible to ride others I have to take public transport and then the bike stays stagnant a while. Maybe I should look into a trickle charger.

Hex nuts can work but a lot more fiddly getting in, I glued one to a strip of card to get it in and aligned (also had issue that they are thinner so had to be lifted slightly) but the nut itself was big enough it wouldn't turn in the channel when tightened but didn't over tighten just in case.

Sizing different matter, head is not bolt size, 13mm is normally an M8... https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/metric-bolt-head-wrench-size-d_1458.html but that seems large for a bike battery, most I've seen are normally M6,only way to be sure is measure width of actual bolt (threaded part).

Hex nuts can work but a lot more fiddly getting in, I glued one to a strip of card to get it in and aligned (also had issue that they are thinner so had to be lifted slightly) but the nut itself was big enough it wouldn't turn in the channel when tightened but didn't over tighten just in case.

Sizing different matter, head is not bolt size, 13mm is normally an M8... https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/metric-bolt-head-wrench-size-d_1458.html but that seems large for a bike battery, most I've seen are normally M6,only way to be sure is measure width of actual bolt (threaded part).

Hex nuts still turn and can wreck the soft terminal blocks that are made of lead . A top tip is to glue the new ones in place with a bit of silicone . I've lost count of how many of these things have disappeared inside my bikes and never fallen out of the bottom onto the ground. Make sure you carefully measure to get the right size . I bought some off eBay recently and I assumed they were a standard size but when they arrived they were way too small.

I've just stumbled upon a YouTube vid that offers a neat and simple way of securing your battery nuts that I'm definitely going to use as soon as I get the chance . Here's two stills , its pretty self explanatory.

wp_ss_20190128_0002.thumb.png.3012ddeecb1a45ce6db5172610539246.png

wp_ss_20190128_0003.thumb.png.914998c5a429cc31d9119d691ea6ba56.png