over used word

skyrider

!! You know what I mean !!

! Alwhite bruv yoo blood. .. Know what I'm saying ... or kids (especially white kids ) who never been out the UK that have Jamaican accents .. boys or men with there trousers round there arse with pants or arse crack on show .. or every thing is now a !! hack ! Most of all gemma Collins So called star ??????????????

You, UK residents, don't know how lucky you are.

All these words are at least from your own language.

But for some unknown stupid reason it has become fashionable or even 'cool' (sorry) to use all kinds of English words and expressions over here too.

And they are the same words that have been mentioned here.

Any idea how stupid it sounds when 'awesome' and 'amazing' are used in a dutch sentence ?

Sooo f...ing irritating and annoying... !

What really drives me crazy is the use of the word 'sale'.

Everywhere in the cities you see big colourfull posters hanging in shop windows with 'SALE' on it.

I got so confused, thinking that I was in the UK, that I drove on the left side of the road the other day... :shock:

For about 2000 years we have had our own word, now completely forgotten.

I really wonder, what's wrong with the wonderfull Dutch word 'UITVERKOOP' ? :roll:

English as a language is an amalgam of many foreign words. We will hijack any useful foreign word if we don't have an equivalent, such as schadenfreude or glasnost or entrepreneur. We have no institution like the French language society who's sole aim is to preserve the French language.

English as a language is an amalgam of many foreign words. We will hijack any useful foreign word if we don't have an equivalent, such as schadenfreude or glasnost or entrepreneur. We have no institution like the French language society who's sole aim is to preserve the French language.

Thank god. We also get to have endless arguments with Americans over how words should be spelt. We of course are correct and they get quite upset when you tell them they don't speak English. :evil:

Yes, that's true of course.

Though many (if not all) languages will 'hijack' any useful foreign word if they don't have an equivalent ! Even French.

Especially when there are no words of their own availabe (yet). Like for new/foreign inventions, products and concepts.

But what I hate about the Dutch is that they use English words to replace good, existing Dutch words.

Mainly adjectives, adverbs and expressions...

And - to get back on topic - these words are heavily over used...!

It's horrible, terrible, appalling, awful...! (I copied these from an on-line dictionary ! :mrgreen: )

"I"

As in "you took James and I to the bike shop"

No you didn't, you took James and ME !

Nobody takes I. If you take anybody, you take ME.

Gettit ??

People often get confused/worried about this and the tip for remembering which to use is simple - remove the other party from the sentence and check it still makes sense.

James and I went to the bike shop = I went to the bike shop, not me went to the bike shop

You took James and me to the bike shop = You took me to the bike shop, not you took I to the bike shop

:thumb:

Current business speak that gets my goat:

"Reach out"

As in "thanks for reaching out"

Management speak - who in God's good name invents this stuff? Our current enraging phrase is " meeting our customer's satisfaction quotient". WTF is that supposed to mean? Bearing in mind I'm on a sodding oil tanker shifting about 150,000 tonnes of thick black shit around the world how am I supposed to keep a customer satisfied?

"I"

People often get confused/worried about this and the tip for remembering which to use is simple - remove the other party from the sentence and check it still makes sense.

James and I went to the bike shop = I went to the bike shop, not me went to the bike shop

You took James and me to the bike shop = You took me to the bike shop, not you took I to the bike shop

:thumb:

Exactly ! PPI wasn't mis-sold to you and I, it was mis-sold to you and ME. :thumb: It was never mis-sold to I :D

Obviously my pet hate is the word " Obviously " Younger people obviously tend to use it the most and obviously seem able to get four or five " Obviouslys " into one sentence especially when they are obviously telling a preposterous lie , obviously.

Another one is people who add "at this present time" on the end of a sentence.

It's valid sometimes but most of the time it's a pointless redundant thing to say.

For example: "we don't have that item in stock at this present time"

I apparently use the word "actually" a lot. I think it is because I like facts and often find myself correcting people, which I think of as important work. Other people's favourite words to me are "f**k off".

Thank god. We also get to have endless arguments with Americans over how words should be spelt. We of course are correct and they get quite upset when you tell them they don't speak English. :evil:

Except that a lot of American usage is really closer to the original English than our own modern usage. Languages change and evolve but the Americans seem to have got stuck in a bit of a time warp with some words. Their version is sometimes more 'English' than English.

Elevator, Candy, Garbage, Cupcake and Cookie are some of my least favourite imports that my sons friends use sometimes. Don’t even know why I find it annoying, it really doesn’t matter. Although I’d expect an immediate ban if one of them joins here in a discussion on biscuits and starts trying to call them cookies :hammer:

Except that a lot of American usage is really closer to the original English than our own modern usage. Languages change and evolve but the Americans seem to have got stuck in a bit of a time warp with some words. Their version is sometimes more 'English' than English.

This is true and apparently it is particularly close to 17th century Estuary English which is depressing. Also if you've ever read any English documents from that date, consistency in spelling would not seem to have been one of our ancestors' strong points.