over used word

skyrider

Also the phrase "at this moment in time" so beloved of politicians. In fact if I think about it every word uttered by any politician is usually over used, distorted and seems to be the exact opposite of the dictionary definition.

For me the politician fall back that makes my blood boil over, even if like them, is when they start a sentence with "Look..." ESPECIALLY if this is in reply to a question when they then meander around a non-answer :evil:

Current business speak that gets my goat:

"Reach out"

As in "thanks for reaching out"

Management speak - who in God's good name invents this stuff? Our current enraging phrase is " meeting our customer's satisfaction quotient". WTF is that supposed to mean? Bearing in mind I'm on a sodding oil tanker shifting about 150,000 tonnes of thick black shit around the world how am I supposed to keep a customer satisfied?

Managers who bandy about terms like 5s / Kaizen / LEAN and have no idea what any of it means, they just know they went to a conference and it was talked about like a massive deal.

Actually, having a management that constantly has new buzzwords each quarter because that's the new leading-age, company saving method that's sure to do the trick this time!

One month of those terms being used constantly while people are confused AF, one month of shoddy implementation and mass loss of productivity as everyone scrabbles to adapt to this new system, one month of starting to run some-what normally before it all starts again :bang:

The word I hate the most is "fami-lam"

"Visiting the familam today"

No Dani, with your infinity symbol neck tat and 'live love laugh' decal on the wall, you are seeing your parents today. That is not a word.

Jeez am I grateful I never heard this one before this thread! :lol:

For me, I'm aware it's completely irrational, but I was always brought up with the phrase "Fair play" and then moved to a part of the country where they just say "Fair..."

Much like when someone with OCD who's stopped from finishing their routine, I almost reflexively reply "..play" after a suitable pause, because waiting for them to finish the expression themselves is agonisng for me.

Management speak - who in God's good name invents this stuff?

Management speak is the refuge of those who lack either the wit or the wisdom to do their job properly, and who try to disguise the fact by hiding behind bogus bullshit. The good news is that you can have endless fun with these people. :D

Years ago, I was the General Manager of the UK branch of a multinational company and had to endure hours of tedious meetings with the other country managers and heads of marketing. Every meeting was a complete shit-shower of meaningless management speak that left you wanting to induce a bottom-up paradigm shift by giving them a swift kick in the low-hanging fruit. The only way I could cope with it was to feed some of these bozos meaningless phrases at the smaller local meetings and then sit there sniggering when they regurgitated them at the international gatherings. Some of the better ones were:

• We need to get this hamster back on the wheel.

• We really need to burst the lemming.

• This problem looks like a bit of an octopus: let's each grab a tentacle.

• We're so close to the elephant all we can see is grey.

I also have to admit that in one especially tedious meeting with the head of marketing (who wasn't a particularly good English speaker) I amused myself by proposing 'Fist' and 'Twat' as the names for two new products. He wrote them down enthusiastically and I thought no more about it, imagining that someone at Head Office would kill it off. They actually got as far as having the draft labels mocked up by their designer before I had to step in. :shock:

I once had an email argument with some numpty who had advertised a reg plate for a Pan European as being 'unique'

That's the whole point of reg plates you stupid melon farmer.

I once had an email argument with some numpty who had advertised a reg plate for a Pan European as being 'unique'

In my youth I had an Orion with the reg E77 TTG I got pulled once and the copper said that to me, 'that's a unique number plate'. You don't say, genius!

:laugh:

A friend has an old 2002 Toyota Rav4 and the last 3 letters of the plate are WTF. Doubt the DVLA would use that nowadays :lol:

I declined the opportunity to get a reg that ended GTF. Wish I had got it now!

http://viz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Screen-Shot-2015-08-22-at-11.10.14.png