Snow on vehicle roofs

Mickly

Having travelled many miles today on the motorway, I was somewhat perturbed by the many vehicles ( mostly lorries and vans ) who were dumping sheets of frozen snow off their roofs onto the road and anyone following them.

Surely this cannot be legal?

Having driven through 3 of these sudden events I was grateful I wasn’t on a bike!!

From RAC website

Snow on your roof?

As for the snow on the roof, while, again, there is no law stating it is illegal to drive with snow on your roof, if it falls off onto your windscreen while driving or flies into the path of another car then you could be penalised for such offences as 'driving without due consideration' or 'using a motor vehicle in a dangerous condition' - again, not worth the risk.

Even if you’re only making a two-minute journey, by not thoroughly cleaning your car of snow, ice or condensation – including all windows, lights and even anything that could fall off into the path of another motorists – you’re breaking the law and leaving yourself liable to a run in with the police.

That means fully wiping snow or frost from every window (a quick once over with a credit card or CD case is not good enough!). Use a proper scraper and de-icer. It might cost a few pounds, but it works and will save you time.

Having travelled many miles today on the motorway, I was somewhat perturbed by the many vehicles ( mostly lorries and vans ) who were dumping sheets of frozen snow off their roofs onto the road and anyone following them.

Surely this cannot be legal?

Having driven through 3 of these sudden events I was grateful I wasn’t on a bike!!

I used the car all this week because there were patches of ice on untreated roads.

After a few days of freezing conditions, I decided the biggest risk was beeing hit by ice flying off vehicles, at one point large pieces ht my windscreen and I could even feel the pieces under the tyres !!!

I suspect someof the drivers of artic larries don't even realise what they are doing.

I had to drive Sevenoaks to Southampton on Friday evening.

Everyone was telling me I was crazy and shouldnt go but I tanked up the Audi, checked the tyres, filled up the washer bottle and I was off into the unknown!!

I had a bag of snacks from the petrol station and my winter biking gear with me incase I had to abandon ship..

The M3 was blocked by jacknifed trucks and the A31 was totally clear until just south of Alton where it was blocked with people not able to get up a very slight incline without wheelspinnig all over the place.

Very frustrating for me as I've got 4x4 Audi on snow tyres so was perfectly happy driving past people who were sliding about on their summer tyres. I really haven't found a snow covered hill that car can't climb..

20190201_215319.thumb.jpg.21ac442c21ce2b59259fa45a181f7db2.jpg

Snow covered vehicles driving really annoys me now. I've seen way to many accidents and near misses for it now too.

I have one of these, (only mine was from Aldi and a little different)

emsco-snow-shovels-ice-scrapers-1708-1-64_1000.thumb.jpg.8fbcecb5bc1416b8b0e78e21f892d4c1.jpg

It takes all of 5min to complete clear the car, even on the worse days.

No excuse in my book.

As for the state of some folks driving… well there is always bad driving on the road. Coupled with folk who won't take advice/think they know best/ think all the electronic things in their cars work magic then it leave a lot to be desired.... You don't need any fancy gizmos or specific tyres (although snow tyres do help) to drive in snow. It's simply a skill that needs learned.

I heard a story a few years back about a bloke who's disabled son tried to help clear the snow off the car. He was very proud of what he'd accomplished, but he'd used

the garden rake... Cost him a full respray!! Haha

Did anyone see this on the news last week? Stopped by police on the A9 in Scotland. :shock:

IMG_1573.JPG

A bit over the top, two eye holes would have been sufficient 👁👁

I normally clear the whole car off, but one day last week we'd had a bit of snow which had then frozen overnight....I cleared the windows with the heater blowing and a lot of scraping, but there was no way that I was going to be able to clear the bonnet and roof without chiselling it off.....so I had to head off as it was......when I got to near where I was heading the temperature had risen enough to start melting it, so little bits started to come off, but I was so close it just pressed on...... :oops:

keep your distance and snow falling off other vehicles isn't a problem.

Doesn’t work if a tit in a van overtakes and pulls sharp in front of you - I’m not going to slam on the anchors on the motorway ever time ‘just in case ‘