Ideal commuter bike

jw5876

I ride a 2004 Honda 650 TransAlp and use it for commuting. The low rev torque and the high seating position is nice for chugging through traffic and being able to see over the cars. Plus as it's 14 years old I'm not super precious about it getting mucky and stacking the miles on.

I’m a complete newb so ignore the next bit.

Depends on what your commute is like?

My 125 is everything I could need to get from an outer suburb of Birmingham to the centre and anywhere within the Wider Birmingham area.

Take no notice of me as I have not passed my test yet but hopefully will be in the market in a few months. Obviously I have been looking loads and have my eye on so many FZR8, CBR650 and also MT-07.

Like I said I have no experience but just what I like the look of.

Fazer 600 fox-eye model. Very good lights, comfortable, flickable, fun, good mileage(~57mpg, over 200 miles to the tank without reserve, that's another gallon left).

Not that I'm biased :angel12: :lol:

Fazer 600 fox-eye model. Very good lights, comfortable, flickable, fun, good mileage(~57mpg, over 200 miles to the tank without reserve, that's another gallon left).

Not that I'm biased :angel12: :lol:

:stupid:

Plus 1, cheap to insure, cheap to run, still enough poke at the top end to have fun when needed

Budget is £1500 - £2500

Is that for the bike - or bike plus gear? Decent riding kit can set you back quite a lot.

If you've got up to £2500 to spend on a bike then there's loads of low mileage used bikes out there which will make good commuters. When I was looking I based it on what I wanted included on the bike - for commuting purposes I wanted a top box, fly screen and centre stand (just makes maintenance simpler) so I looked mainly for anything with those already installed. You can add them later but they cost, whereas if they come fitted you don't really pay much extra for the bike with them included.

Given the reliability of most Japanese bikes you might be better looking for accessories and comfort as your main concerns.

Budget is £1500 - £2500

Is that for the bike - or bike plus gear? Decent riding kit can set you back quite a lot.

If you've got up to £2500 to spend on a bike then there's loads of low mileage used bikes out there which will make good commuters. When I was looking I based it on what I wanted included on the bike - for commuting purposes I wanted a top box, fly screen and centre stand (just makes maintenance simpler) so I looked mainly for anything with those already installed. You can add them later but they cost, whereas if they come fitted you don't really pay much extra for the bike with them included.

Given the reliability of most Japanese bikes you might be better looking for accessories and comfort as your main concerns.

The op says second bike so I'm assuming he has gear.

Thanks everyone.

Personally I like the look of the Kawasaki Versys but am not sure on reliability etc.?

My Versys 650 was fine. Bough new and run to over 20k without much happening. The main issue was water got into the coils and they split and corroded. It always ran fine. The Versys 1000 has been fine as well, bought with 20k and now with 24k. The only issue was that the running light came out of its mount and the hot bulb melted a bit of the headlight casing. I replaced it with an LED. Both bikes have good forums and you will see there is not much about reliability issues.