CBT to DAS

I did my CBT in July 2018 and theory shortly after. As a middle-aged bloke who’d never ridden anything other than point and squirt holiday rentals 25 years ago I found the CBT enjoyable, if nerve-wracking on the road, but left it feeling a bit, meh, as to whether I would carry on and commit to DAS.

Everyone had said bigger bikes were easier and more enjoyable to ride than the 125 learner machines so I was pleased to see Phoenix offering a £20 taster session on big bikes – 90 minutes riding around their training ground in Crystal Palace. (I should add I have absolutely no affiliation of any kind to Phoenix, just a happy customer).

I have to say, to anyone like me who is unsure about taking the plunge these sessions are well worth it. Given I hadn’t ridden since July I started back on a 125 to get into the swing of gear changing, balance, and the instructor had me doing U-turns, slaloms etc but then progressed to a 500.

The difference was incredible. To experienced bikers this will seem like old hat, but to a total noob like me, the 500 first of all sounded better, but it pulled so smoothly and felt so well balanced it was an absolute revelation compared to the screaming little 125. Feathering the clutch and keeping pressure on the rear brake I could happily pootle around the slalom and figure 8 at slower than walking pace and everything about the bike just felt better made and more solid.

Although still not convinced biking’s for me I will be going back for another session as I enjoyed it so much, and hopefully get the bug.

Although still not convinced biking’s for me I will be going back for another session as I enjoyed it so much, and hopefully get the bug.

I find the more I ride the more I enjoy it.

There's so much to concentrate and think about in the early days if you're moving into middle age like us (might be the same for kids but I never did it when young, I'm just assuming they throw themselves into it a bit more)

As more 'every day' riding becomes second nature you then start to focus on getting around corners etc better.

To be honest I already think about getting round corners better. Counter steering and leaning a little. Not got the confidence or bike to get very low at all but always looking to perfect the ride in preparation for my test.

Guest Richzx6r

Cheers fella. Looking to book with Norton way Honda in Letchworth. Passed my CBT with them and they were very good. But this may depend on availability.

Anyone else have any advise on who to take it with in North Herts area.

I did my das with Ian at ART in royston

Guest Richzx6r

..... one question which was ‘what is the maximum length a motorcycle trailer can be?’ which I had no idea about .....

Neither did I, but it's 2.5 metres, measured from the bike's rear wheel spindle.

Do I win a prize ? :D

Does a biscuit count as a prize

• 1 month later...

Well, weather was topping it down this morning but it cleared up nicely in time for the test.

All practicing we well and I was consistently coving all manoeuvres well. The fast sections were consistently at 56kph.

So got to Cambridge for the test and all was good. One minor for getting clocked at 46kph on the avoidance. Redid it and clocked in at 56kph. So all in all it went well.

MOD2 week tomorrow.

Good work :cheers:

Glad im not the only one that went too slow when id been smashing all the practice speeds !

My instructor says everyone gets an adreline rush on the day and goes that bit faster than normal - I seemed to go slower due to nerves and had to keep thiking about it while going road that bend :lol:

Yeah my instructor was insisting i would go about 5kph slower on the test. I guess nerves or being over careful is the cause. I know what I did, I closed the throttle too early so lost some speed before the trap. Pulled it together though for the retry.

It was a beautiful day as I drove to Honda Letchworth. All went well this morning and we were relaxing with a coffee around 11:45. Suddenly the instructor advised that the times of the test had changed and I was first at 12:08. Luckily the test center is less than 10mins away.

So some last minute practice on the way to the test center and before I knew it I was there.

Examiner came over and the normal process was followed. 40mins later I was back at the test center, not feeling confident I awaited the result.

I was then advised that I had ........... PASSED.

Get in. The journey to DAS has finished. The biking journey can now start.

Thank you for all the responses and advice from everyone here.

Just add that PRT motorcycle training has been excellent throughout and without them I may not be where I am now.