Honda XBR500f 86 rear wheel bearing

Get a drift in there and dislodge the internal spacer enough to get on the bearing outer shell then give it a mighty whack with a lump hammer . Then move the drift to the opposite side of the bearing and whack it again . Next move the drift 90 degrees and repeat . Keep moving the drift around and belting it with the hammer with the aim of driving the bearing out evenly . The main trick here is to not hold back and to have the confidence to really hit the drift HARD. Once one bearing is out the second one is a doddle . Just get a big piece of tube and rain down a few determined blows upon it or use the drift again remembering to move it around so that the bearing remains level . If you haven't got a suitable drift you could buy a cheap breaker bar or similar and take an angle grinder to it . Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, what he said. The first couple of hits are the trickiest because there's nor much to get your drift behind. After that, you can move the spacer to one side a bit and it'll knock right out. Be patient and keep moving your drift around. Use your old bearings to drift the new ones in.

I have an XBR too. I really like it. Had it about 12 years now. I've had other bikes in that time but I keep going back to it. The rear wheels are a problem. They rot from the inside and warp the brake drum so you get pulsing. Mine's just started doing it. I reckon I might have my work cut out sourcing a decent wheel. Are yours spoked or boomerang comstar?

Yup, what he said. The first couple of hits are the trickiest because there's nor much to get your drift behind. After that, you can move the spacer to one side a bit and it'll knock right out. Be patient and keep moving your drift around. Use your old bearings to drift the new ones in.

I have an XBR too. I really like it. Had it about 12 years now. I've had other bikes in that time but I keep going back to it. The rear wheels are a problem. They rot from the inside and warp the brake drum so you get pulsing. Mine's just started doing it. I reckon I might have my work cut out sourcing a decent wheel. Are yours spoked or boomerang comstar?

Same problem on old ER5s , I fixed mine by sticking Emery Cloth onto the brake shoes with double sided tape then adjusting the brake to skim off the high spots .

Thanks Fastbob. I'll give that a go :thumb:

That's not while you're riding the bike , I hasten to add ! I did it on the centre stand . When you've finished, double sided tape ( Tool Station ) dissolves in petrol .