My first off.. couple of questions

KWCFC

Hey all

Had my first off not long ago at low speed on my FZ6, I was going slow round a corner due to rain and I'm not sure why but the bike just slipped from underneath me and slid down the road.

Luckily the crash sliders did there job and stopped most of the damage but I have cracked the fairings on the bike, one is on the nose by the handlebars and the other is on the rear fairing under the seat.

Firstly, is it safe to ride the bike while the fairings are like this?

Secondly, where do I start with repairing this? Is there some good reputable places where people buy their fairings for these bikes?

Thanks in advance.

20190129_154424.thumb.jpg.36b940032c250899c8cfdc54f0de444d.jpg

20190129_154330.thumb.jpg.a07f1f4517b2df641bb4c38fd5bc7fca.jpg

Oh dear, hope you are OK. I'd go to a dealer or local motorcycle mechanic for an estimate. If estimate is affordable I'd let them fix it. Obviously all depends on where you are and your ability to fix bikes to a safe standard. You could use estimate to source parts off eBay etc, but you'd lose the mechanics goodwill.

Yesterday whilst I was driving to work in the car in similar conditions I watched a scooter nearly come off by slipping on a drain cover that is placed exactly where a bike would turn the corner. I have reported this to the council several times, as I nearly came a cropper on the same drain cover, but nothing has been done. Rain and drain covers and road paint is a dangerous combination.

Good luck with the repairs, least your OK, bike much easier to fix.

As for corner could have been 1 of many things, if it slid out then should be able to rule out too slow, but going too slow or no drive can make bike unstable, most likely crap on the road, paint markings which are plastic which is what makes them lethal, man hole etc, too much angle for speed, too much front brake or throttle, if conditions are really bad you want to be doing only one thing at a time, treat it like riding in snow, have a Google there will be much better explanations than I can put here.

Cheers guys. Yeah there wasn't a scratch on me and I got lucky as my bike slid down the road and missed an oncoming car by about an inch!

So to confirm is the bike safe to ride do you think? I managed to ride it back ok after I came off it... Or a trailer job to get it to the garage?

No way to say for sure without seeing the bike but if you check that the wheels are true, tyres not cut, brakes work and sign of damage to the hydraulic lines then it ought to be safe to ride. They're pretty robust at handling a slide, it's sudden impact damage that causes most problems.

• 3 weeks later...

China is a good source of body parts.

They might throw in a Rhino Horn , a few Tigers Dicks and bits of anything else that's beautiful or endangered as well .

Just source some on eBay and motorcycle breakers.

In the meantime drill a few holes either side of the crack and cable tie them together if they are loose.

Check for anything obvious and then have a gentle test ride.

Just source some on eBay and motorcycle breakers.

In the meantime drill a few holes either side of the crack and cable tie them together if they are loose.

Check for anything obvious and then have a gentle test ride.

Or if you're a Yankee Doodle Dandy you can use a Zip Tie , yeee haaa buddy !

Glad your ok and small fall.offs is a learning curve And the bike is ok to . As I hate seeing bikes bashed up or getting bashed up or the fool riding it doing a wheelies falls off showing off . (I think cos I can't do wheelies ) lol i agree with the cable tie repair .I like using them as they fix everything lol . Put some glue between the splits before you pull the ties tight . Help it stop moving ..