High beam in daylight

learningtofly

And that goes for a minority of cyclists with lights so f****g bright they could burn holes in cardboard. The idea is to be seen , at least in an urban environment, not to blind everyone else to a standstill. Just out of interest, I've ordered a rear brake light for my bicycle.

And that goes for a minority of cyclists with lights so f****g bright they could burn holes in cardboard. The idea is to be seen , at least in an urban environment, not to blind everyone else to a standstill.

A guy who used to ride the same rural road as me had an off road light fitted to his helmet. He got a couple loud yells from me when we passed each other.

I have an off road light myself which I use in the depths of winter, because some of the roads I use are unlit. But I only use them when the road is empty and definitely not in town. But when you're doing over 20mph it definitely helps. It's easy enough to cover with a hand if I unexpectedly meet a car.

Also used them on a couple of dusk to dawn rides where they are beyond helpful and make you very popular with fellow riders, like moths to a flame.

Just out of interest, I've ordered a rear brake light for my bicycle.

When it comes to rear lights, my opinion is get a See.Sense or don't bother :D

There was a time I used to ride with my light on . Then one day the sun was low .and this biker was coming towards me I seen him ( was in a car at time ) then he just vanished?????? It was his light and the sun blocked him out only for a few seconds but I felt it was long enough for some one NOT have seen him and pulled out . So.i don't use my lights any more unless it's dark. As for being seen if you can't see 18 stone biker on a big bike then your not looking properly. ..

Edited by BIKERDAD

There was a time I used to ride with my light on . Then one day the sun was low .and this biker was coming towards me I seen him ( was in a car at time ) then he just vanished?????? It was his light and the sun blocked him out only for a few seconds but I felt it was long enough for some one NOT have seen him and pulled out . So.i don't use my lights any more unless it's dark. As for being seen if you can't see 18 stone biker on a big bike then your good-looking properly. ..

A friend of mine (a few years ago) used to occasionally drive a highly polished shiny silver tanker. He said it must of been blinding with the sun on it because people coming from the opposite direction would suddenly drive oddly, he said he didn’t ever get hit but it was more than close quite a few times.

And that goes for a minority of cyclists with lights so f****g bright they could burn holes in cardboard. The idea is to be seen , at least in an urban environment, not to blind everyone else to a standstill. Just out of interest, I've ordered a rear brake light for my bicycle.

I cycle a lot, and I detest these fcukers. Generally sanctimonious with it. They have uber bright lights not only on the bars pointing high, but also wear head torches out of colditz, just in case you didn't get the point. Cycling along a dark two way bike lane, it is the ultimate selfishness, they can see fine and fcuk anyone else.

• Having headlights on may make you more visible in some circumstances, but it doesn’t make a difference to the size of your bike.

Position on the road is important. You need to ride in the wheel track closer to the centre line as this means you are visible sooner to oncoming traffic or vehicles turning across your path. It also gives you a buffer from

vehicles suddenly emerging from a roadside parking bay.

Weaving from one wheel track to the other also draws attention. It may look erratic and as though you have lost control, but it attracts much-needed attention.

Never assume a driver has seen you.

Assume they haven’t seen you and prepare an exit route in case they drive out in front of you or merge into your lane.

Don’t ride in a vehicle’s blind spot.

Give yourself a buffer zone from other vehicles.

Slow down and get ready to take evasive action if you see a vehicle at an intersection.

Wait until you see the whites of their eyes before accelerating. And even then, prepare for them to make a sudden move.

If so, it is best to think about changing course behind the car, rather than in front of it. The normal reaction is to weave away from the direction that the threat is coming. However, that leads you into the direction the

threat is heading, so you may still collide.

If you don’t see the whites of their eyes, then it might be time to give a polite toot on the horn to alert them.

https://motorbikewriter.com/avoid-smidsy-collisions/

I hate bikes riding with high beam on during the day and have had the odd heated discussion about said subject with said idiots, one sat there and said no mate its just bright error no its not I can see the f**king switch and light.

It can dazzle and could potentially cause an accident, low and wide driving lights, look at your own gear, if your concerned about your safety then make yourself visible, high vis helmet, jacket with flashes etc, all black won't look cool laying under a car.

HI Vis helmets are actually not the solution a white helmet has proven to be better

No. white is preferred as it's more likely to be used I aint seen anything to say florescent glow in the dark pink is invisible

Sorry ment to start that reply with bollocks

And furthermore if you look into the science behind not been seen alot of it is to do with perception position and speed relative to the viewing point of the person not seeing you, ie the brain decides your not a threat and mot moving and decides to ignore the threat as peripheral vision is designed to stop you from being eaten and only triggers an alert if your brain decides it's enough of a threat to warrant attention, the rest of the time people are just distracted fuckwits

One the things I had on my old helmet .was the lowwer part of a skull .you known the shiny Halloween skull masks so I had from the nose down on my motorbike helmet .I used hotmelt glue gun to stick it on and the amout of ppl who would look at me like WTF has he got on his helmet . BUT I made me seen . But my kids hatred me picking them up from school .as it was not cool .

Might not be cool but I'm still alive .

Any way it now gone as I got a new lid for Xmas and the mrs won't let me put it on my new one . It cost to much .don't think she liked it too .

Please don't ride with your full beam on all time... it is totally annoying to everyone around you, and possibly dangerous for folk in front of you.

I changed my indicators to DRL/ switchback LED's. Them, with a little weave side to side if I don't think the person noticed me has drastically cut down the near misses at junctions for me.

And that is on my tiny MSX.