Filtering, I'm rubbish at it but....

Magpie84

I don't drive a car so I dunno, but surely drivers are taught to allow for bikes filtering aren't they? I was taught about it when I did my bike training. I get the feeling many drivers are pretty vague about it though. There's not much in the highway code either.

Guest Richzx6r

I used to be a motorcycle courier in London and distance rider so due to tight deadlines I did used to filter anywhere (6 months in that job and didn't have a single accident) but I did take a fair few wing mirrors off with my knees on the way past when metal sheep drivers tried to shut the door, now I'm slightly more reserved but still like to have any metal sheep behind me.

Now I have my high beams on and maybe an indicator and be on 2nd at about 6/7 thou so they can't really say they didn't see or hear me......

I don't drive a car so I dunno, but surely drivers are taught to allow for bikes filtering aren't they?

Nope.

And most people never read the Highway Code again after passing their test.

Hell, most people (as evidenced by everyday life and youtube) don't even realise that the Highway Code says that you need to give way to a pedestrian already crossing a side road that you're wishing to turn in to, and to me that's a pretty basic rule.

I don't drive a car so I dunno, but surely drivers are taught to allow for bikes filtering aren't they?

Nope.

And most people never read the Highway Code again after passing their test.

Hell, most people (as evidenced by everyday life and youtube) don't even realise that the Highway Code says that you need to give way to a pedestrian already crossing a side road that you're wishing to turn in to, and to me that's a pretty basic rule.

Yes and that includes the pedestrians, they often look surprised I stop and let them finish crossing!

My filtering tip is to get mirror extenders and have the mirrors set at slightly wider than the bike, so you know what can safely fit through. I adjust mine depending if I have my panniers on or not.

I'm always confident in the width of my bike (the fairings on the ER6F are the widest part of the bike and I can see them clearly), it's always the bottom that I can't mentally picture . Logic tells me the kerb isn't higher than the pegs on my bike but I still have this mental hangup that I'll end up scraping the kerb if I'm trying to squeeze through a gap next to a kerb.