Carrying a knife.

Slowlycatchymonkey

The whole issue is being dealt with backwards. The knife itself is being criminalised as the issue but the issue is why people want to carry a weapon and attack each other. None of the toughening of knife laws has had any impact on the amount of violent crime. It's typical lazy politics; what's can we do to make it look like we are taking action without putting any effort in.

If you could get rid of all the knives tomorrow people would simply use any other easily obtainable tools as weapons , hammers, screwdrivers, wrecking bars, chisels, whatever.

Blah blah biscuits.

The whole issue is being dealt with backwards. The knife itself is being criminalised as the issue but the issue is why people want to carry a weapon and attack each other. None of the toughening of knife laws has had any impact on the amount of violent crime. It's typical lazy politics; what's can we do to make it look like we are taking action without putting any effort in.

If you could get rid of all the knives tomorrow people would simply use any other easily obtainable tools as weapons , hammers, screwdrivers, wrecking bars, chisels, whatever.

Blah blah biscuits.

Labor could fix it though with their anti stab knives :lol:

Then next year they could make knives anti cut as well :thumb:

Back in the dim and distant past when I used to go camping, one of these was my multitool. Perfect for opening sealed things, levering stuck things, stirring hot things and stabbing hostile things. It could even be used as a screwdriver. :thumb:

Whats wrong with just using a butter knife? :mrgreen:

I like knives, carried a legal folder for a while, and used to think the carry laws were a bit pansy. Something like 80% of knife crime is committed with kitchen knives so it seems pointless (lol), but I am pleased that people don't carry machetes. If you get into a fight you'd rather get punched than stabbed, and if you stab someone who attacks you you'll probably go to prison.

Most of these rules - and the people who blindly enforce them - have more than a hint of shit-for-brains about them. When flying back from Canada some years ago the airport security staff confiscated a novelty corkscrew I'd bought from the aquarium and made me post it home. The glass bottles of wine and maple syrup in my carry-on bag were fine, though.

:roll:

Most of these rules - and the people who blindly enforce them - have more than a hint of shit-for-brains about them. When flying back from Canada some years ago the airport security staff confiscated a novelty corkscrew I'd bought from the aquarium and made me post it home. The glass bottles of wine and maple syrup in my carry-on bag were fine, though.

Well practically the alternative is to with ban bottles, or allow knives etc. One of the 911 planes was hijacked with a Stanley knife iirc.

Well practically the alternative is to with ban bottles, or allow knives etc. One of the 911 planes was hijacked with a Stanley knife iirc.

I seem to recall being more than a little sarcastic with the airport security guy when he confiscated my corkscrew but not the glass bottles:

"Quite right too: there was a time when the glass bottle was the weapon of choice in a pub brawl, but the ready availability of novelty dolphin corkscrews is the new scourge of our time."

Blah blah biscuits.

I have an anti stab knife - I keep it in my sailing kit in case I ever capsize and get tangled in the rigging. It will slice through pretty much anything as it's very sharp but you don't want to stab yourself when cutting rigging off you so the end is anti-stab. Most knives don't really need a pointed blade for most things they are used for anyway.

Funnily enough an anti-stab fish filleting knife would be fantastic for me at work. If I ever injure myself while cutting fish 9 times out of 10 I stab myself in the finger as opposed to cutting :oops:

Blah blah biscuits.

I have an anti stab knife - I keep it in my sailing kit in case I ever capsize and get tangled in the rigging. It will slice through pretty much anything as it's very sharp but you don't want to stab yourself when cutting rigging off you so the end is anti-stab. Most knives don't really need a pointed blade for most things they are used for anyway.

My sailing knife has no sharp point but a wickedly sharp serrated blade for cutting ropes at which it is excellent. Having taken a slice off my thumb with it I can also state with some confidence that it will slice flesh as well. It also has on the back of the knife a rather sharp and locking marlin spike which I think would stab nicely. No doubt this is also an illegal weapon.

You get all the scumbags pulling all the knives off this if it's does go up I'll give it a week till it dissapears lol

It's been on display in Hull for about 4 weeks and no one has touched it!

It is guarded 24 7

• 3 weeks later...

Funnily enough my knife arrived today. I have a round tipped knife already but it’s rubbish at getting into packaging so I ordered the same knife (same brand and same blade length) but with a sharp tip. They are both legal. The first pic is the round tip and looks harmless (it is sold as a children’s knife ‘My First Opinel’) and the second pic looks like it could do some damage. I can see why some people would want to know why you are carrying one.

On the making a national database thing what’s the point? People who commit knife crime clearly aren’t bothered about breaking the law but somehow they’ll want to register on a database?! Are armed robberies solved because they left behind weapons registered to them- no-ones that daft. You do illegal stuff with illegal stuff so some dodgy looking toerag told me!

It’ll be ordinary mugs like me going about their business who find themselves on the wrong side of things just because they wanted to get into a packet of meat for some lunch! It would be a pointless knee jerk reaction to make people feel like somethings being done while some politician has found their cause and stuck their name on an ego trip that inevitably just makes peoples lives more difficult. Sermon over.

4E943127-78F4-41A5-B138-BD3A1466A4DD.thumb.jpeg.30677206a46693e0c497e43f2d9060b1.jpeg

DC5DE695-FD94-47E4-9B49-267BB070E2F3.thumb.jpeg.574024f0069252f08b4c90abd128327c.jpeg

F3D3F349-0755-4504-AF7C-7530A8C8EFB3.thumb.jpeg.5639face6974f4ef0ce903439ed474dd.jpeg

... All getting a bit stupid, now....... yes, you can stab someone with a knife (wow, whod'a thunk it???) - but you can also do a pretty good job with a screwdriver, an unravelled coat hanger, an icicle etc. etc. etc. Not to mention bashing someone over the head with a chair leg (though I suppose that bloke did get shot for having one in a bag a few years ago...). So where's the problem? It's not with knives, it's with the bast*rd who decided in 1987 that "there's no such thing as society". Well there isn't now. They got their way. People on Universal Poverty, diseases we thought we'd got rid of in the 1930s coming back, the homeless chased away from "Royal" weddings - that's why life is held so cheaply - when everything has a cost, nothing has any value. And the least valued of all are the dregs from the estates. If no-one values you, why should you value anything at all? Not an excuse for anything but you can see why it has happened. It makes you want to cry.

... All getting a bit stupid, now....... yes, you can stab someone with a knife (wow, whod'a thunk it???) - but you can also do a pretty good job with a screwdriver, an unravelled coat hanger, an icicle etc. etc. etc. Not to mention bashing someone over the head with a chair leg (though I suppose that bloke did get shot for having one in a bag a few years ago...). So where's the problem? It's not with knives, it's with the bast*rd who decided in 1987 that "there's no such thing as society". Well there isn't now. They got their way. People on Universal Poverty, diseases we thought we'd got rid of in the 1930s coming back, the homeless chased away from "Royal" weddings - that's why life is held so cheaply - when everything has a cost, nothing has any value. And the least valued of all are the dregs from the estates. If no-one values you, why should you value anything at all? Not an excuse for anything but you can see why it has happened. It makes you want to cry.

Yes it does.

Note to self never agree for police to search car.

I pretty much always have a knife of some flavour in the car, yesterday it was used for cutting hose to length. The the 2' pinch bar is probably more handy a tool for some purposes when not being used to break nuts or cracking sockets.

IMG-20190307-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.0da0849e5b15c5b67ce17fd69a8c6d16.jpeg

I notice I carry a knife/ multi tool more again with getting the dog, thorns in paws, trimming things out of fur. Then I sail as well so a knife is always handy there if I am not working I generally have a knife about me. Always locking, if not when using it to dig stones out of tyres (forest car parks) it folds back and....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-42749089

From my reading is it's a London centric problem and those that are out to do harm. Then you would choose a knife that looks aggressive.

Let's just hope I don't meet a officious police officer.

Let's just hope I don't meet a officious police officer.

I think the clue lies in the word "officer"...........y'know?

But you're dead right.....I was reading some time ago about a retired bloke who was out with his Mrs on a Sunday afternoon bimble that went a bit awry but nothing terminal......(now why does that ring a bell??). Anyway, plod turns up, usual pleasantries ensue....."I've got my documents in the glove box, officer, let me show you...."......unfortunately, also in the glove box was a small knife which he used for peeling oranges when out with said Mrs, and........yes, you've guessed it........scenario instantly turned to "your're nicked, sunshine, etc. etc.".

I mean, FFS? What a great use of taxpayers money. :evil:

I won't ask whatever happened to common sense, 'cos as I get older, I am increasingly of the opinion that it never existed.

I despair. But someone, somewhere, will be able to say that they're "doing something".

What they forget is yes, we can say that too......at the next election. :thumb:

What they forget is yes, we can say that too......at the next election. :thumb:

IMHO there is not a person/ party that would stand up to nonsense, there is to much political correct I dont think thats the right expression. Snowflakeness (is that a word) among them to stand and be counted.

Hard decisions are not always popular and the right decision is often the most unpopular, in the short term anyway.