Wood or Metal shed?

Tiggie

more about running out of room in garage

I'm having a similar problem!!

I have a larger than average garage with a brick shed on the side which is half the length of the garage and about 2.5m wide and a 8x6 shed!!

I am planning on extending the garage in the future :lol:

I'm not going to trouble of extending or building a brick one for what I want :lol:

I've remeasured and I actually can fit a 12x10 (after a little heavy pruning of a Holly bush!) and there's some lovely wooden pent style sheds I've seen that are in budget :thumb:

I keep going back and forth on what I want and it's driving the wife mad :shock:

Knock the back wall out of the existing garage and extend.

Hi [mention]Tiggie[/mention] as JRH mentioned, this is what I did 10 year's ago, got a company to make a 3 sided shed, 9 X 11that pushed up to back wall of garage, then cut a doorway in back wall of garage, so a bit more secure because you have no door in shed and access is through garage. Boarded it inside and stuck insulation between shed and board, warm as toast 👍, then just filled it up with tons of junk 😀,

Must admit shed roof needs refelting hence tarpaulin ☹️ at moment. 15504863382891512147735.thumb.jpg.38c46a827d17ae1d0eccbf3a8334ffb8.jpgIMG_20190218_095956455.thumb.jpg.f453329536ad22b43bfb5e96e3f9de8e.jpg

That shed has nicer units than our kitchen.

Personally I prefer wood sheds as metal ones tend to suffer from condensation more, unless you get serious about insulation and add some heat. A good alternative is to use a dessicant dehumidifier (as opposed to the refrigerator type) they will extract moisture down to very low temperatures, are more efficient and pump out slightly warmed air.

But make sure you don't need planning permission first! :lol:

ours is within permitted planning but someone complained and now

we're having a war! :?

If it's been up for 7 years then the council can sod all ..just tell them it's been up over 7 years and show then around the shed (as long as its good not falling down pile of rubble ) then they will allow it .

Also as for planing .if you check with your council you can build a building under a certain size with out planning ..

...If it's been up for 7 years then the council can sod all ..just tell them it's been up over 7 years and show then around the shed (as long as its good not falling down pile of rubble ) then they will allow it .

A quick look at google maps satellite view would prove that incorrect.

I bought a home made shed last week. 11ft long but only 4 ft wide. Making a new gable end and door end for £50 and a roof for 50, floor for 30. 4 x 2 frame. Got an 11 x 7ft shed, no rot for £380

Cheers everyone. I've decided on building my own wooden shed :shock: It'll be a 10x8 Pent Style with double doors to accommodate a future project Motorbike :lol:

I've gone with wood as to me its just nicer and I'm hoping to recapture the feeling of being in my Father-in-Laws sheds where I had some fantastic memories and learning experiences until he passed away from cancer two years ago.

This is what he built himself (little help from me) in the first year he was diagnosed. I can't remember the dimensions but he planned it out big enough so you could park a car in it with the doors all open and still be able to walk around :lol: He basically decided F*ck it, I'm having my dream shed while I still can.

IMG_1081.jpg.935e23ad9d1bb4d2b8a6e29da74ed9d4.jpg

IMG_20180507_110651.jpg.9c098553ae4d4f25fb1df3c61655bfad.jpg

IMG_20180507_110703.jpg.e78eeb75d7b1de4c479adddd57ebc0d5.jpg

IMG_20170531_160046.jpg.c6f8e05de0d1d2d39df8b2fac89eab55.jpg

IMG_20170531_160109.jpg.52c0629ad68f52a5825a9fa9103667f1.jpg

Cheers everyone. I've decided on building my own wooden shed :shock: It'll be a 10x8 Pent Style with double doors to accommodate a future project Motorbike :lol:

I've gone with wood as to me its just nicer and I'm hoping to recapture the feeling of being in my Father-in-Laws sheds where I had some fantastic memories and learning experiences until he passed away from cancer two years ago.

This is what he built himself (little help from me) in the first year he was diagnosed. I can't remember the dimensions but he planned it out big enough so you could park a car in it with the doors all open and still be able to walk around :lol: He basically decided F*ck it, I'm having my dream shed while I still can.

At the risk of sounding very 90s, that is f**king mint :lol:

I dream of building one like that!

That's one lovely shed!

Got me wanting one again now, really need (want) one as a workshop as no powered garage (and getting power to garage is a bigger mission).

Trouble is planning on moving in foreseeable future so trying to be patient and wait but struggling :lol:

[mention]megawatt[/mention] thats the plan :thumb:

[mention]Via[/mention] I had to wait until I moved as the last house had no garage or garden space for a worthwhile shed, I just had an old 4x8 concrete thing that I suspect started its life as the outdoor toilet when the house was built in the 40's :lol:

Really no idea about what is better or safer, wood or metal, I keep my beauty in the classic brick made garage but if I could I will keep it in the leaving room.

It’s dry, safe and I can look at it all day :oops:

I have heard that if you add up the total cost of materials to build your own, it's not much different to buying one. Just saying.

Your buying the materials from the wrong place if that's happening.

Factoring in the price of your own time, it's unlikely you can build a bespoke one off building for less than the price of buying a mass production item.

I have heard that if you add up the total cost of materials to build your own, it's not much different to buying one. Just saying.

Your buying the materials from the wrong place if that's happening.

Factoring in the price of your own time, it's unlikely you can build a bespoke one off building for less than the price of buying a mass production item.

If you factor in half the time sitting round doing not much you should be able to charge your self a nominal fee if you must :D , where as Mr or mrs shed builder has rates, pensions,wages, materials and vat to add to the lot. Ohhh yea and they are running a business and aiming for min 30% profit and they have to pay tax, which is also factored into the profit req.

You can't replace time but it's time well spent.

If of course you earn £100 an hour then go to work and pay for it.

If you factor in half the time sitting round doing not much you should be able to charge your self a nominal fee if you must :D , where as Mr or mrs shed builder has rates, pensions,wages, materials and vat to add to the lot. Ohhh yea and they are running a business and aiming for min 30% profit and they have to pay tax, which is also factored into the profit req.

You can't replace time but it's time well spent.

If of course you earn £100 an hour then go to work and pay for it.

"Off the peg" sheds a-la B&Q special are cheap but phenomenally shit. Say you pick one up for a few hunge, that's 3-4 hours worth of time you're giving yourself to build a one-off and that's before you buy any materials.

With that amount of time you would have just finished the design!