Wood or Metal shed?

Tiggie

I agree it's hard to compete with small cheap b n q sheds, but they as you say Are extremely shit and cheap for a reason, would take me 5 mins to draw shed any about 10 to work out what's needed.

Any hoo let the man build his shed. :D

I had a look at B&Q type sheds and I came to the conclusion that it was the panelling that was holding them together!! next to no framework at all :roll:

Time isn't a factor in this build. In fact i'm going slow with it. It's my project to do on my days off. I've just bought the framework for the base which is getting delivered tomorrow. I'm off on Monday so will crack on with it then.

Just called in to screwfix on way home and bought a few boxes of these. They look smaller in the picture than they are. In fact they are probably overkill at 8x100mm :mrgreen:

IMG_20190301_141914.thumb.jpg.bc5b0bae16215e61d15bf8b0b344a8ec.jpg

I keep seeing this thread and it's just urging me to extend my garage :lol: :lol:

I will just blame you @Tiggie so the wife will beat you up :mrgreen:

I think to save my own skin I'll screenshot this and post it on Tracey's Facebook :shock:

I keep seeing this thread and it's just urging me to extend my garage :lol: :lol:

I will just blame you Tiggie so the wife will beat you up :mrgreen:

I think to save my own skin I'll screenshot this and post it on Tracey's Facebook :shock:

No need!

She won't believe me anyway :lol: :lol:

[mention]skyrider[/mention] I have a decent man cave already but bigger is better right :mrgreen:

[mention]Bender[/mention] Stop causing trouble :lol:

• 1 year later...

Decided I'd revive this post as I'm actually going to be able to build it now! :lol:

I've cancelled the studwork from where i ordered originally as they messed me about (all in stock 5 weeks ago when I ordered and paid, rang me the the day before delivery to say they haven't got it anymore and dont know when they will) and have gone with a local merchant which will cost me approx £90 more :roll:

It is better wood though so I guess thats a silver lining ( 50mm x 75mm compared to 38mm x 63mm) Just waiting to hear on delivery, hoping its this week as I am surely going back to work on Monday! :lol:

I already have all the sheet materials and cladding, the base is up and waiting, so my question is should I lay the flooring down now and keep it covered with a tarp or wait until I've got everything? My dilemma is if I do go back to work next week I'll be doing 3 x 6 day weeks so I'll have no time to build at all so it potentially will be like that for a while. If it turns up in next couple of days however it will be time saved :?

Also it will give me some room in the garage that I desperately need!

IMG_20200609_140807.jpg.23c1547fb9a4823dc27ba5fb2c2ac8b0.jpg

Guest Swagman

Thoughts? anyone got a metal shed with horror stories of rusted tools etc or am I worrying too much?

Any decent metal storage shed/secure unit manufacturer should at least offer a 10year warranty against corrosion. galvanised steel and so on. I was looking at these:

Galvanised and powder coated. but not cheap.. built for security and an insurance discount. http://tinyurl.com/y4xfrmxt.

asgard_secure_steel_motorbike_storage_2.jpg

Comparable to that is a beast shed.. if you want wood and something thats a lot more than a repurposed garden shed and looks right for the garden. And a genuine investment that will (if cared for) outlast you. can be fully bespoke and the price includes delivery and build. but.. this all comes at a cost. http://www.beastsheds.co.uk

motorbike-garage-shed.jpg

Im definitely leaning towards a Beast shed. double door at front, single at rear with window. pent style lean against the side of the house. floor that can take a forklift truck. but.. sadly the insurers will never be convinced that any kind of wooden shed is secure. so its a matter of weighing up your personal priorities and price you can justify.

I have one of these Asgard sheds as you say not cheap but very secure, have had it for two years now and never had condensation problems, in the winter I just run a frost protector keeps in nice.

Don't forget that first action is to stain it with proper stuff ;)

Really? I always begin by opening a beer. Myeb that's why everything I build falls down.

Well, that is the pre-start isn't ;)

The so called prep work

I am absolutely over the moon that its come!! :yay: :yay:

I had just finished writing my post about doing flooring, I went in Kitchen to make a brew and the van pulled up outside :mrgreen:

Moved it all to back of house now and covered it up ready to start in morning :cheers:

Guest Richzx6r

I am absolutely over the moon that its come!! :yay: :yay:

I had just finished writing my post about doing flooring, I went in Kitchen to make a brew and the van pulled up outside :mrgreen:

Moved it all to back of house now and covered it up ready to start in morning :cheers:

Give a shout if you need a hand mate I'm a willing donkey :thumb:

Cheers all, I am leaning more towards a metal one, purely out of cost :roll: though if I see a nice wooden one for the right price I could change my mind :lol:

One of the other reasons I'm looking at metal though is due to where it will be situated it will be an absolute pain in the arse to paint on 3 sides

FTFY

Untitled.png.dd5f5e3429c1c3d6d86bf5bae0f45ad5.png

Good ventilation is definately the secret behind all things condensation.

Wood looks great, but requires maintence, it also damps sound, which could be useful if you're hiding from the other half.