Air filter - OEM?

SometimesSansEngine

I had a look through the info Speedy put up.

The second one is copy&paste of the first one with value added opinion.

The information is poorly presented and although it references ISO5011,it appears that the tests were carried out otherwise in accordance with that standard e.g. incorrect dust grade used, no mention of whether filters were oiled as appropriate, how the filters were prepared etc...

I think it's an interesting one-off test although before accepting the findings, I would like to see a full, properly prepared report on more than one sample or each filter.

Well this is what came out, no idea if its condition can be described as good, bad or indifferent

More importantly what does the other side look like ?

I didn't bother originally as it looked so dull, which I presume is a good thing

Yep , its a very good thing , all the visible shit is on the right side of the filter.

I had a look through the info Speedy put up.

The second one is copy&paste of the first one with value added opinion.

The information is poorly presented and although it references ISO5011,it appears that the tests were carried out otherwise in accordance with that standard e.g. incorrect dust grade used, no mention of whether filters were oiled as appropriate, how the filters were prepared etc...

I think it's an interesting one-off test although before accepting the findings, I would like to see a full, properly prepared report on more than one sample or each filter.

Oh nooo ! 😨

More importantly what does the other side look like ?

I didn't bother originally as it looked so dull, which I presume is a good thing

Yep , its a very good thing , all the visible shit is on the right side of the filter.

That's grand, in that case I'm in a happy place where I maybe didn't need to change it yet, but at least now I know the date and miles it was last changed, know I wasn't riding it with potential issues being caused & learnt a little about how my bike is put together too :thumb:

That's grand, in that case I'm in a happy place where I maybe didn't need to change it yet, but at least now I know the date and miles it was last changed, know I wasn't riding it with potential issues being caused & learnt a little about how my bike is put together too :thumb:

Possibly, but it is quite dirty and there is likely to be some restriction in air flow so a new filter wouldn't be a bad idea.

Honda recommend 16000 mile interval for the air filter change and I find it highly amusing just how many owners think that they know better. The change is a bit of a rigmarole compared to some bikes (there are two filters one on each side of the bike) though easier if it's done at the same time as the rest of the 16k major service. But that doesn't seem to stop them, they go through all the fairing removal and then discover that the filter isn't very dirty. A clue should be that performance is just the same as ever. But, they change the filters anyway. Mostly at 8k or sometimes less. I just don't understand.

That's interesting [mention]Gerontious[/mention], I would have assumed that as an off road type bike its servicing intervals would be a lot more regular than that. The ER6F manual says clean every 7.5k miles and replace every two years.

Mind you, the owners manual also says that only an authorised Kawasaki dealer should do it.... I'd also assume rightly or wrong that for the sake of a filter a dealer would just put a new one in rather than cleaning it.

That's interesting @Gerontious, I would have assumed that as an off road type bike its servicing intervals would be a lot more regular than that. The ER6F manual says clean every 7.5k miles and replace every two years.

Mind you, the owners manual also says that only an authorised Kawasaki dealer should do it.... I'd also assume rightly or wrong that for the sake of a filter a dealer would just put a new one in rather than cleaning i[mention]Gerontious[/mention]

My comment was only about Uk and northern Europeans. I can well understand that riders in much drier environments, like the desert states in America or the Middle East might need to change the filters more frequently and the owners manual likely has something to say about that.. But I'm not in a position right now to check. (My bad)

You mean you didn't take your owners manual with you over there?

No... But I wish I had, in fact if the baggage allowance was a bit more generous I would have happily brought the bike, waited until the boy wonder was safely tucked up and gone out for a bimble. I can see a bit of a mountain not far from here and it has a very inviting and enticing looking road climbing up the side. It might be little more than a track or path, but I can dream

• 3 weeks later...

Who need air filters when trumpets will do.3EE37A12-92F3-4507-A795-D4CBDC8F0DA3.jpegA9297A9B-F9CD-411C-ACA7-478A37B0F6AB.jpeg

Lotus in the Gaydon car museum

Answer.....people who don't like fitting new inlet valve guides every 10000 miles...... :thumb: