Are 125s less safe in bad weather conditions than bigger bikes

newbiker90

As I have not passed my DAS yet and therefore never owned a "big" bike. I can only give one side of the story.

I have a CB125F and it rides very well, however it does seem twitchy sometimes in wet or if the road is in a bad state of repair. When I go out with my dad he does not seem to have any such worries on his Bonneville speed master. I assume that is due to the more planted feel of a larger heavier bike.

Just to add that on the flip side the lack of power and acceleration probably means a 125 is more forgiving

Hm, so having ridden around on a 125 for about 4 months before getting a big bike... I think a bigger bike is definitely more planted and stable. I maybe wouldn't go so far as less safe, I agree it would be about how you ride it.

I get less blown around on my big bike in wind, despite it having a lot more fairing.

Same if the road surface is crap, not sure if the wider tyres are better at deflecting over the crappy road surface.

I’ve always felt safer on a bigger bike. 125s are fine round town but any kind of open road and I feel their limits, whereas on a bigger bike you’ve got better tyres, better suspension and better brakes. I know people who love their 125 it’s a personal preference, I’m just happier on a bike that’s nowhere near its limits.

Depends upon how bad the weather is.

I remember riding in the snow and ice on my Fizzie going to college- wouldn’t have wanted anything bigger after falling off umpty times.

Rainy conditions seem better on a big bike due to bigger contact patch, but it could also be due to better tyres and more experience.

Depends on the style of " Big Bike " I suppose but I absolutely hate riding my GSXR 1100 in the rain . I don't feel safe at all on the bloody great juggernaut mainly because its got massive front brakes and a tiddly little thing on the back . When it's raining, give me a small bike any day .

Edited by fastbob

I don't think size has much to do with it, its just that different bikes handle better in different conditions. Rain never bothered me too much (I live in Wales) but you really feel the difference between bikes in a strong wind. I think maybe balance and centre of gravity are more considered in the design of bigger bikes but I've had 125s that handled really well in shit weather. Ive also binned one in the rain crossing road markings with a handful of front brake :D

The answer simple is, it depends.

My 125's tyres are actually wider than my big bikes. However it is half the weight, so in exposed areas the wind can feel worse on the little bike.

When it's cold and possibly icy, I feel safer on my little bike though. Party due to the tyres, but also because it is so much lighter it is less of a trial for me to keep upright in iffy situations.

Depends on the style of " Big Bike " I suppose but I absolutely hate riding my GSXR 1100 the rain . I don't feel safe at all on the bloody great juggernaut mainly because its got massive front brakes and a tiddly little thing on the back . When it's raining, give me a small bike any day .

I’m with you on this, for me more because the tyres on the Panigale just can’t cope with rain well at all, they’re not designed for it and I find it very twitchy, I’d rather be on a 125 in bad weather!.