Quooker

fastbob

I'm baffled here , I keep seeing this advert for a Quooker kitchen tap that dispenses boiling water and cold water according to requirements. But what's to stop you making a mistake and severely scalding your hands if you went to rinse them ? Worse still , someone could inadvertently go to drink boiling water. Looks bloody dangerous to me especially in the hands of children or someone who has staggered in from the pub .

My boss has one and raves about how great it is. In fact he has given his kettle away as they dont have a use for it anymore. I have thought this too about it being dangerous and can only assume it has some kind of safety system involved. Like you say, it wouldn't be fun to give your hands a quick wash with boiling water :shock:

There are a few of these things now dependant on make they give cold by default and you have to request hot, after the hot it reverts back to cold, there is still the risk of a child or someone confused to scald themselves though.

The quooker uses a tank under the unit, it uses very little electric, it's well insulated and keeps the water over 100deg to kill off any bacteria.

Instant heat ones use alot of electric.

Have fitted them but I wouldn't want one.

I've used a Quooker while half cut (well, 3/4 probably) and managed not to hurt myself.

Like Geofferz said; you have to push the ring around the spout a couple of times and then twist it to get boiling water.

Not sure the power they use is too relevant is it? Specific heating capacity of water is I think 4200 degrees per kilo per celsius. So doesn't it take the same energy to heat to boiling quickly than slowly, defining factors then being losses in the system so probo

Blybuses more energy to heat in a pan over open gas flame.

Prepares to be corrected for stupidity.

It's not the heating of the water that's any different. I'm sure it will use a resistive element same as a kettle. It's the keeping it on the boil that's going to use the energy.

You've got a temperature difference of 80°c each side of the insulation so no insulation is going to be 100%

I would imagine it switches on and off several times an hour.

A vacuum flask type of wall insulation would be best.

Yay, let's turn this in to a thermodynamics discussion! :lol:

tl;dr: Assuming good insulation of the reservoir, the energy saving will come from only heating the water you use, rather than a conventional kettle where you might boil twice water as much as you need. Plus you won't incur losses from the water to steam transition.

I wonder what happens when you empty the reservoir of hot water... :scratch:

They're Dutch I believe and very common in Europe, like anything risky in the kitchen it's all a matter of training kids on how to use them safely. It kinda amuses me how we seem to rant and rave (sometimes) about excessive health and safety and then see something that's quite novel and want to talk about how (potentially) lethal it is. I was brought up in a house with coal fires. A gas powered "flately" airer in the kitchen and because there was no heating upstairs the bedrooms each had a paraffin heater. I survived unscathed as did my 3 sisters and 2 brothers.

My boiler is currently broken and a bath means lots of kettles and pans on the hob. Instant boiling would be ideal, though I don't know what volume it can produce over what time.

I don’t think you meant to install them on the side of a bath. It would be easier just to lob a three bar electric fire into the bath. You wouldn’t have to worry about mending the boiler then.

My boiler is currently broken and a bath means lots of kettles and pans on the hob. Instant boiling would be ideal, though I don't know what volume it can produce over what time.

I don’t think you meant to install them on the side of a bath. It would be easier just to lob a three bar electric fire into the bath. You wouldn’t have to worry about mending the boiler then.

Oh indeed not, but it will make filling the saucepans a lot easier.

Yeah my wife and I had a row the other night and she told me to 'go take a bath with an electric heater' which I thought was a good idea.

Not much good for a bath, biggest one only 15Ltr, normal ones are 3Ltr, but as you start drawing water it gets diluted with cold.

What's up with the boiler

Not much good for a bath, biggest one only 15Ltr, normal ones are 3Ltr, but as you start drawing water it gets diluted with cold.

What's up with the boiler