SOLVED! Honda CBR 600f 1999 possible Rectifier problem

Noble Dave

so looked on the net and seems to be rather common but no real evident fix that i can see, alot of people say the Rectifier on this model aint good and if you replace it with one from say a 2003-2004 GSXR1000 then it will sort the issue...

At lights on a hot day the bike fa will come on and the idle will start to splutter and drop then bike stalls, riding and moving around at 30+ is fine no issues at all just rly at idle the bike fan comes on and it all stals out, i changed the indicators and brakelights to led to give the fan more power and the bike to run at idle more power to work with but its still happening.

anyone had this issue on bikes like this and had a good fix?

may just be the Rectifier but its £56 for the one i have seen recomended that may solve the issue but dead money if not.

Edited by Noble Dave

not that I know off pal, have had the full loom taken out and checked and replaced, also all mechanical parts inside and out are clean and in working order, all works, think it may just be the lousy OEM rectifier they put on these bikes back in the day, also the carbs are all clean and the jets sorted, it generally stalls at idle on a hot day like today when the engine is piping and the fan comes on.

yep new bty and plugs all tests come back perfect, just on the meter when fan kicks in the volts drop... so thats me issue not enough power produced by the OEM lousy Rec to keep bike alive when fan is spinning hard... so I have to by a 2003-2004 GSXR1000 rectifier and cut ends off and solder em onto existing wires, apparently the GSXR rec is twice the size and works alot better, just need to buy some CPU heat sink grease and the Rec tomorrow from scrappies (Hillsmotors in skem)

I never had it on mine but the cb1000r suffered with rectifiers , causing battery to keep going flat , as I remember Honda replaced them free of charge as it was a know problem .

Ye six same issue on this one, Bty is fine but after a ride out the Rec didnt return enough to keep bike running and power for fan, lights etc, £50 for the rec from the gsxr1k just need to make sure the wires are waterproof when join em up now and hopefully thats sorted.

Do the tests, and if it's wrong fit a new one.

The issue is they overheat, due to their poor positioning in the rear cowl. There's no vent there so it just gets hot and stuffy in that spot.

I fitted a computer fan that ran all the time to it, never failed again.

Mine is located on the frame to the rh side panel next to the oven, so bloody toasty in there she works fine idle for ages, even when upto temp, but seems to be after a 30 min ride then she gives up when it comes to moving slow again, the temp drops alot when moving above 40mph so all good there just dicky charging system me thinks, wonder if I extend the wire and move it somewhere else then the current OEM rec will be fine? Save me £50

What ye think? Or is it just the bad OEM rec that after a while of high speed riding etc and filtering she dont give enough charge for bty to keep fan and bike etc running and no matter where I out the rec she will fail?

What fan did you use for ye rec pal and you near Southport by any chance could let you have a gander, I will do the travel mind haha

Fozzie if you can move mine to another location and install a fan will sort ye out, ill take tank off etc and fairings so just be the wiring part and attaching it to frame somewhere else and install the fan im off for a week and ye only 30 mins away so can coller parts and come yours if ye free, thats if you think the current rec will work after these mods? 👍

Fozzie if you can move mine to another location and install a fan will sort ye out, ill take tank off etc and fairings so just be the wiring part and attaching it to frame somewhere else and install the fan im off for a week and ye only 30 mins away so can coller parts and come yours if ye free, thats if you think the current rec will work after these mods? 👍

I'm fairly jammed up for a week or two thanks to work, but we can get the groundwork done as I'd probably only be 30 minutes tops.

If the reg/rec is failing when hot, you're best replacing it and seeing what happens first to make sure it's definitely that going wrong.

How does your bike idle? When hot, my old carby CBR600F was a bitch to restart when it was hot. A low idle, running hot, sudden load on the alternator drops revs just a little too much, it stalls.

Also a pic of its current location. I could have sworn it was in the tail fairing, but I never touched my carby one (had 4 CBR600F's).

Ye mate its in the tail fairing, and when its hot and idles it cuts out then, usually starts straight away but then cuts out shortly after starting again unless start moving off, looking at picking up a gsxr1000 rec and putting it on as there compatible just have to cut wires as the connectors dont match and alrdy have the colour code to match wire to wire, suzuki one double size of this honda one and apparently sorts issue others have dont that and it worked 👍 will have a go of that meself and see if it sorts it, 1999 and below recs are bloody aweful so will see i this squares it away only £30 too which is good, will keep ye posted ta pal

Was wondering if I order a new rec actually for my bike will tgat sort it you think as this is such a common problem I cant see replacing the rec with the same lousy oem on will sort issue, unless they have updated the design for the Honda Cbr600f 1999? My has no fins in it and is basically a flat smooth square? Or do I go the suzuki route and get a well designed one and snip wires... Hhmmmm

• 3 weeks later...

Righty just taken bike out for a big ride, once again when super hot the bike cut off, not as bad since changed rec to a more powerful one but still when hot, fan comes on spinning hard (when stationary idling) then revs stutter and fall then bike shuts off...

Thinking its either the model due to being 20 years old or need to change coolant maybe, or could be the fan not coming on early enough? Only issue is I dont have a multimeter to test the fan etc

Not a clue anymore only thing I aint done that have read is change coolant maybe its time or put a fan on the rec?

I know Superbikes arnt designed to tick over stationary for long... Im out of ideas! Could it be the new rec overheating as no vents where its housed under rear cowl hmmmm

It is very common on this model bike mind so maybe time to upgrade.

So Fozzie if your free in near future pal will nip around and atleast have a gander haha

Possible ways to fix bike issue...

*New fan(may be warped and when heats up it gets siezed even though do hear it)

*Rad temp switch needs replacing as it may not be turning fan on in time.

*Install a button on fan so it stays on all time why riding

*Install a new Thermostat (could be on way out)

*Replace radiator fan switch.

*Have Fozzie look at it and discover it was something silly... Haha

Im stumped!

Tested alot of the parts with a borrowed multimeter all seem good.

I believe its the new Rec overheating, the old oem one sucked all the time even on a cold engine this new bigger one makea it run very smooth so thinking when the rec due to no vents and overheating gets too hot which it bloody does! May need a computer fan on it to keep it nice and cool to keep volts running well...

Fossie if your free pal would you mind installing it for me? Ta bro

Apart from that she runs like a dream

Have you actually felt the reg/rec unit to see if it's getting hot? When was the last time the cooling system was flushed? When was the last time it had new coolant? I think there's more to this than just the electrics.........

Felt the new rec I installed and it was warm, which ofcourse would do with ac and dc volts running through it, as for the coolant since I purchased the bike a year ago it wernt changed, not sure how long ago it was changed so it could be the issue

But engine soon cools down when moving at 20 plus so guessing coolant is fine and dont heat up at silly speeds more after a lil ride out for a while then coming to slower filtering and idleing that it stalls out, if coolant was bad wouldnt it always be overheating and rapidly at that?