Look after your hearing

S-Westerly

[mention]Gin[/mention] , I got mine fitted at the scottish bike show. Was a weird sensation getting your ears filled with foam, but it was all done in around 20 min and the plugs arrived about 4 weeks later.

I wear mine a lot more than just on the bike now. I use them at work when working in the server /comms rooms. When we go see track racing and I'll wear them at airsoft as well, depending what gun I'm shooting with. I can easily wear them for 6+hrs so totally worth the money I think.

@Gin , I got mine fitted at the scottish bike show. Was a weird sensation getting your ears filled with foam, but it was all done in around 20 min and the plugs arrived about 4 weeks later.

I wear mine a lot more than just on the bike now. I use them at work when working in the server /comms rooms. When we go see track racing and I'll wear them at airsoft as well, depending what gun I'm shooting with. I can easily wear them for 6+hrs so totally worth the money I think.

How Did I Not Know You Did Airsoft TOO!? I am So coming up on the bike to visit you this year, with all the airsoft gear too :mrgreen:

... *Cough* Thanks for the recommendation, cos I will admit I have always balked at the price of them!

Think I may have to pull the pennies together and make it happen this year.

I'd love to get some molded Bluetooth earbuds too, as I tend to listen to audiobooks as I fall asleep at night, and my current earbuds (though great cos they were cheap) do tend to feel a little uncomfortable.

Never tried fitted plugs so I won't knock them, but these do the job just fine and are just as good as the £10 senheiser branded ones that came in a nice tin. Cheap too, which is lucky considering how often I lose them. Screenshot_20190225-130438_eBay.thumb.jpg.334f0ed2eb3fee7dfd2ddfc1349fe57e.jpg

If you can get away with using 'normal' ear plugs I definitely wouldn't knock them, even with them being consumable you'd still probably save money. I just can't manage the whole shoving something in my ear and it staying there thing (same with ear bud headphones).

I assume though the standard ones like that would make use of an intercom hard [mention]geofferz[/mention]? (which, if you don't use one probably wouldn't be a problem)

If you can get away with using 'normal' ear plugs I definitely wouldn't knock them, even with them being consumable you'd still probably save money. I just can't manage the whole shoving something in my ear and it staying there thing (same with ear bud headphones).

I assume though the standard ones like that would make use of an intercom hard [mention]geofferz[/mention] z? (which, if you don't use one probably wouldn't be a problem)

Don't know if this helps, but I had / have the problem and basically worked out I have tiny ears! So I have to use the tiny buds that come with any set of headphones..

The ones like Geofferz has liked do work really well for some people, but I have found these to be pretty good, cos they're quite squishy:

61AnHLsXI-L._SL1096_.jpg

Cos of my tiny ears, I still have to cut about half a cm off the end or it pokes my eardrum, but I buy like a 50 pack of these and then take a few packs camping, or to work / uni for people who just need a bit of quiet to work (No one else I know needs to shorten them though!)

If my cat is being a particular ar*ehole and howling up a storm in the middle of the night, I nab the ones off my nightstand and go back to sleep! :mrgreen:

I assume though the standard ones like that would make use of an intercom hard @geofferz? (which, if you don't use one probably wouldn't be a problem)

I don't use an intercom but all earplugs block out mainly ambient noise - you can still hear and I reckon they'd be fine. Those that cliam only to block out certain frequencies because of some technology... Colour me skeptical.

[mention]Gin[/mention] these are great for falling asleep in. Better than the moulded customs on the sleep front!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CQHJ6CD/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07CQHJ6CD&pd_rd_w=6Zmii&pf_rd_p=e2bfafb5-111e-4906-b089-5d691a51d45f&pd_rd_wg=r9N2q&pf_rd_r=FQJKWQCH8C3S8DMGZ2F6&pd_rd_r=66fb253b-392c-11e9-93c4-d934e727d02a

Just remember to never pull them out using the wires and get hold of the earbud itself to remove them :thumb:

I have had tinnitus since birth - a side effect of one of the drugs my mother was given when she was pregnant. I can tune it in at will, and it's pretty loud, but most of the time I don't really notice it any more. My hearing is shot anyway from years of being in bands.

@Gin these are great for falling asleep in. Better than the moulded customs on the sleep front!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CQHJ6CD/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07CQHJ6CD&pd_rd_w=6Zmii&pf_rd_p=e2bfafb5-111e-4906-b089-5d691a51d45f&pd_rd_wg=r9N2q&pf_rd_r=FQJKWQCH8C3S8DMGZ2F6&pd_rd_r=66fb253b-392c-11e9-93c4-d934e727d02a

Just remember to never pull them out using the wires and get hold of the earbud itself to remove them :thumb:

Ohh for a tenner I'll def give them a go! :mrgreen: Fankoo!

My last memory of trying to use wired ones, I did roll a little too much and end up with them wrapped around my neck! :D

@Gin these are great for falling asleep in. Better than the moulded customs on the sleep front!

My last memory of trying to use wired ones, I did roll a little too much and end up with them wrapped around my neck! :D

Yep that can happen 😬 but being able to lay on one side without them digging in is worth it :D

How Did I Not Know You Did Airsoft TOO!? I am So coming up on the bike to visit you this year, with all the airsoft gear too :mrgreen:

Always welcome! Got a few reasonable sites on our door step :mrgreen: I only started playing a couple of years ago. Partner has played a lot longer though.

Yep that can happen 😬 but being able to lay on one side without them digging in is worth it :D

Oohhh yeah! Next pay day I'll order a set!

I ended up getting something like 32301916-c23f-467a-af3c-9dda8835db88.jpg and by some MIRACLE I haven't lost either of them! :shock: But you're right, can't lie on them...

Never tried fitted plugs so I won't knock them, but these do the job just fine and are just as good as the £10 senheiser branded ones that came in a nice tin. Cheap too, which is lucky considering how often I lose them. Screenshot_20190225-130438_eBay.jpg

Exactly what I use , I've tried a lot of different styles over many years and these are what I've settled on . I was converted to wearing ear plugs when I rode to the Scottish Highlands on a GSX 1100 with a Vance and Hines that had no baffle packing . When I arrived , instead of beautiful silence all I could hear was a high pitched whistle . I wouldn't even ride to the shops without ear plugs now .

@Gin Looks like you went the whole nine yards.

Oh I think that’s an American saying :seeya:

Not necessarily, I believe it refers to an entire belt of Vickers Gun ammunition being fired at the dreaded Hun by our Tommies in the trenches during WW1. Or maybe not .....https://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/where-did-we-get-the-whole-nine-yards/

Edited by fastbob

Don't know if this helps, but I had / have the problem and basically worked out I have tiny ears! So I have to use the tiny buds that come with any set of headphones..

I meet a lot of contractors at work (they have to go through a health and safety induction..) and this is surprisingly common, probably 1 in 50 say they can't use our foam earplugs because they have tiny inner ears. They usually have their own moulded plugs too.

So maybe those who find they don't get on with normal earplugs or find they just don't seem to fit would do well to consider this possibility. Just because you're some butch builder type doesn't mean you don't have dainty little earholes!

Anyway, personally I started wearing earplugs after damaging my right ear slightly caning my CBX250RS with a snorty exhaust. Once was enough, sod that.

I am totally dear in my right ear.....and down to 30% in my left ear.

I also suffer from raging tinnitus in both ears :?

Doc's say mine is hereditary.....but still wear earplugs even in my totally dear ear..... :D

@Gin Looks like you went the whole nine yards.

Oh I think that’s an American saying :seeya:

Hah! They were about £18 and honestly I cannot believe they're still working :lol:. Some random cheap chinese things...

I meet a lot of contractors at work (they have to go through a health and safety induction..) and this is surprisingly common, probably 1 in 50 say they can't use our foam earplugs because they have tiny inner ears. They usually have their own moulded plugs too.

So maybe those who find they don't get on with normal earplugs or find they just don't seem to fit would do well to consider this possibility. Just because you're some butch builder type doesn't mean you don't have dainty little earholes!

Yeah exactly! :D That's why I really like those pink and yellow ones cos they're way squidgier than other ones I've tried, so much Much comfier on the ears.

Other ones I find are too dense, so end up giving me terrible ear ache. :(

Has anyone actually used foam earplugs for a length of time the converted to moulded ones?

A comparison would be great if you can do one!

What worries me is the fact that my foam ones are great and I like as much noise cancelled out as possible but its a lot of money for moulded ones just to see if they are better!

The supposed advantage of custom fit over foam is improved noise isolation. Custom fits give isolation of 30db or less, well fitting foam plugs around 40db which is also good but its all in the fit, foam or other mouldable plugs often allow leakage around the plug that customs don’t. They have the advantage of filters allowing you to hear speech (for me only just) and enjoy the engine sound albeit with quite a few decibels knocked off.

If you really want to push the boat out they do Bluetooth customs for muchos moola!

I used mercury customs and found them good, much better than the ones from the hospital which were double the price! They do lots of shows all over the country.

https://mercurycustomplugs.com

DDA29EBF-CB0D-43D0-9AF8-D31CAC7CC40A.thumb.jpeg.a1d9e3edc4098c15248b9e395eb69a51.jpeg