Air in brake line?

tomanders

Hi all hoping some one can help .so I decided to fit my own brakes on my z750s today instead of paying someone to do it..in order to get the pistons far enough to back I had to use a c clamp and then installed the new brake pads..the front brake now feels very spongy i. Thinking that it must be air in the line am a stuck now will I have to bleed my brakes or is this normal after new pad installation? Cheers

Usually a hello post is in order :D

Have you pumped the brake lever to get the pistons back to where they should be?

You shouldn't really have introduced air into the system by pushing the pistons back in

:stupid:

It can take a few pumps of the lever to seat the pads.

Also worth bearing in mind that new pads need bedding in before they become 100% effective. In which case the brakes feel weak rather than spongey, that does sound like what happens if the post one are forced back enough to damage the seals. Any sign of fluid leaking?

Here we go again , the curse of the TOKICO calliper . If it took a C clamp to force the pistons back in then ask yourself, what's creating all that friction ? Chances are its the dirt and mineralisation that has accumulated in the grooves behind the seals . This makes the pistons tight and this is what produces spongey brakes and excessive lever travel . A strip down and a thorough clean will transform your brakes beyond recognition and believe me I know , I've got Tokico's on both my bikes .

Usually a hello post is in order :D

Have you pumped the brake lever to get the pistons back to where they should be?

You shouldn't really have introduced air into the system by pushing the pistons back in

Hi Bender......gotta ask, how has any air been let into the system? If he's just talking about pushing the pistons back far enough to get the new pads in, then the integrity of the system shouldn't have been breached.......unless the seals have been damaged by the corrosion on the pistons being forced back into them. But then would expect to see signs of leakage. At any rate, sounds as if stripdown/clean or new pistons is an upcoming job.

Has this bike got any ABS shenanigans that could affect the pad replacement/system bleed process?

To OP; don't feel down, if you'd taken it to a shop the result would have been the same. At least you've learned something......,

By back in I was referring to back into the calipers and not out of the calipers to shove against the piston, so I have no idea how he would have added air into the system by pushing the pistons back in from where they came.

Even with fooked seals I have never had air in a system, they just tend to leak.

@S[mention]Speedy23[/mention] confused by your question and some of your posts of late.

Yeah , that's how I read Bender's post . He was saying that the act of pushing the pistons further into the callipers in order to accommodate the extra thickness of the new pads would NOT introduce air into the system .

By back in I was referring to back into the calipers and not out of the calipers to shove against the piston, so I have no idea how he would have added air into the system by pushing the pistons back in from where they came.

Even with fooked seals I have never had air in a system, they just tend to leak.

@S@Speedy23 confused by your question and some of your posts of late.

.......just re-read your post and see what you're saying. Yep, my mistake. It was the way I read it. But which bits of my other posts have you found.........confusing?

Here we go again , the curse of the TOKICO calliper . If it took a C clamp to force the pistons back in then ask yourself, what's creating all that friction ? Chances are its the dirt and mineralisation that has accumulated in the grooves behind the seals . This makes the pistons tight and this is what produces spongey brakes and excessive lever travel . A strip down and a thorough clean will transform your brakes beyond recognition and believe me I know , I've got Tokico's on both my bikes .

If you had a pound for everytime you've read about a Tokico caliper..... :popcorn: :wink:

If you had a pound for everytime you've read about a Tokico caliper..... :popcorn: :wink:

I'd be able to afford some Nissins !