Blind spots

Why didn’t you use your horn when you could see the car wasn’t slowing enough to stop? Nobody in a car is going to hear a shout muffled by a helmet.

Bicycle..............

Blimey, you’ve got some strong legs to be powering along like that. I thought you were motorised and wondered about the flashing headlamp. Most motorists wouldn’t expect a push iron to be moving at that kind of speed. When I was fit that used to happen to me....but not anymore. Too many pies!

You shouldn't presume a car is going to stop , you didn't seem to slow at all even though you was approaching a pontential hazard .

Blimey, you’ve got some strong legs to be powering along like that. I thought you were motorised and wondered about the flashing headlamp. Most motorists wouldn’t expect a push iron to be moving at that kind of speed. When I was fit that used to happen to me....but not anymore. Too many pies!

If it helps, it comes off a long descent where you can easily hit 40mph even on a bicycle, so you have a fair bit of momentum. Which is also why the following comment is a bit nonsensical....

You shouldn't presume a car is going to stop , you didn't seem to slow at all even though you was approaching a pontential hazard .

GPS shows I go across the roundabout at 14mph. On approach I was doing 23mph. The clicking of the gears was because I was slowing so matching my gear for my speed.

Would you tell a car driver they should do less than 14mph over such a roundabout? Besides, I nearly took one for the car just behind me that she pulled out on too.

If it helps, it comes off a long descent where you can easily hit 40mph even on a bicycle, so you have a fair bit of momentum. Which is also why the following comment is a bit nonsensical....

GPS shows I go across the roundabout at 14mph. On approach I was doing 23mph. The clicking of the gears was because I was slowing so matching my gear for my speed.

Would you tell a car driver they should do less than 14mph over such a roundabout? Besides, I nearly took one for the car just behind me that she pulled out on too.

Go as fast or slow as you like .... Just be aware of pontential hazards , dont want you ruining any Lycra .

Going too fast to go around the correct side of the roundabout which is where the car driver would have been looking.. and you did what all Cyclists tend to do which is try desperately not to slow down and instead chose to pass the car regardless..

Had you taken the roundabout correctly you would have slowed down enough to pull in behind the car.

Going too fast to go around the correct side of the roundabout which is where the car driver would have been looking.. and you did what all Cyclists tend to do which is try desperately not to slow down and instead chose to pass the car regardless..

Had you taken the roundabout correctly you would have slowed down enough to pull in behind the car.

Thanks for your perspective (that's not sarcasm, which probably doesn't come across via a forum - I do value other people's perspectives even if I don't agree with them) but I don't agree in this case.

The car doesn't commit to going until 17 seconds in. I'm passing them at this point. I'd been visible for 3 odd seconds until that point. I had a car right behind me. Sight lines at this roundabout are good coming from that direction. I think the line I took would have mattered not. If I was on a motorcycle I think the outcome would have been the same. She wasn't looking for two wheels.

You're right that I tried desperately not to slow down. As I said higher up, swerving and avoiding was safer to me in that moment than not slowing down. There was a car directly behind me (which she also pulled out on). No oncoming traffic. I passed because she hit the brakes.... In many of the cases I've been alongside, the car has carried on their merry way and I've moved back across to the nearside. I'd actually prefer to have someone like that in front of me not behind me

Most of the car drivers don’t think about bicycles and motorcycles. Their brain expect cars and what eyes see brain will not process. We are as bikers more alert so when we are in the car we have different mental setup.

I had so many accidents when I was living in Croatia and Italy, due to completely different mentality, so I have learn to be much more careful and to predict other people reactions.

Especially around roundabouts, once driver decided to go he will go. :scratch:

Most of the car drivers don’t think about bicycles and motorcycles. Their brain expect cars and what eyes see brain will not process. We are as bikers more alert so when we are in the car we have different mental setup.

I had so many accidents when I was living in Croatia and Italy, due to completely different mentality, so I have learn to be much more careful and to predict other people reactions.

Especially around roundabouts, once driver decided to go he will go. :scratch:

If you have kids, when driving them in the car, play a game of "count the Cyclists/motorbikes" that will program their brains to lookout for bikers.