Cup cakes and ride in a sidecar

bonio

Dang it I've given the game away by the title. It just about sums up the whole story.

Ok, if you've made it down here to the second line I assume you're after the details, so here they are: I went into town this afternoon to post a letter. But it happens that to get to the Post Office you pretty much have to go past the charity shop - at least you do if you walk over the meadows - so I took with me a carrier bag of stuff that had never been needed, and set off. And it happened that I arrived at the shop on the very day of its second birthday - and there were cakes to prove it. So I left with a couple of chocolate cup cakes, all swaddled in paper napkins, happily nestling in my coat pocket -and set off once more into the cold East Anglian wind. Round the corner by The Angel, a quick stop at the jeweller's about my watch, on the Post Office, and home. Except, there in the street was a man with a helmet, and a man man with a helmet means a bike, and bike means something that needs to eyed up. And there it was: a black R1200 GSA. With a black sidecar. A real sight, and even more interesting as I had had a glimpsed of it just a couple of weeks before, one cold, foggy morning when I thought I had to be the only person made enough to be out a bike, when suddenly it appeared out of the mist and disappeared again like a benighted wraith on three wheels. And now here it was once more, this time right in front of me all steel and rubber not a bit wraith-like. And now the owner came along and we fell into talking, about his Pan that he had had until he swapped it for an RT, about the GSA and the sidecar, and how it turns - on a sixpence. I must have looked a tad sceptical at this point, because he said, "I can take you for a quick spin if you like". And that's how it happened - how I went up the Norwich road like Grommet with a pair of cup cakes in my coat pocket, and how we did a U turn in the space of a George VI sixpenny bit, like a fairground Waltzer. Thank you John - I never knew sidecars could be so much fun!

They are addictive, I get most solo riders see them as all the disadvantages of a car with none of the advantages of a bike, but, you can go out in all weathers including snow & they really do handle with a few easter egg surprises as you experienced [mention]bonio[/mention] :cheers:

I had a go on one many, many moons ago and loved it. Always been at the back of my mind, but Ive never had the space to house one. Its one of those things you either 'get' or you never quite understand. The one I tried was an old R80 with a Watsonian.

Rode one once.......utterly terrifying. Only way I could get on with it was to use one handlbar as a "tiller". And the bit where you have to use the throttle and brake to help you steer. I suppose with a bit of practice, though, yes, I can see the advantages. And yes, I can see the disadvantages. And yes, the bikes they are attached to still countersteer. Except that is what causes the sidecar to rear up in (what is to me) a counterintuitive manner as you steer - not lean - the combo into lefthanders.

Interesting, complicated beasts. Wouldn't dismiss one out of hand, though.

No chance. As for one thing I love filtering on my bike now if I'm in my lid with my motorbike jacket on then I'm going.to filiter haven help who ever in the side car as you would be left behind in some ones boot with the sidecar . Naa there times my Mrs says to me when I'm driving the car . !! You was just about to go down between them cars then we in the car not the bike . !! No love don't be silly :oops:

I was spending a wet afternoon in my local museum when I came across this - a Baughan bike and sidecar. Built in Stroud in 1929 and apparently it swept the board in trials competitions. The side car wheel was powered through a dog clutch running off the rear wheel axle. Apparently it was rubbish on the road as it wouldn't go round bends too well.

IMG_20190215_111347542.thumb.jpg.b9c95c78a86fa7b7eb96b3b2f2aa726a.jpg

Baughn bike and sidecar

I've always fancied a combo, but never had the courage to buy one purely for the fact that you become no different than a car when stuck in traffic. If I remember correctly, a combo was the route to go down if you wanted a large cc bike but only had a provisional license.

..... If I remember correctly, a combo was the route to go down if you wanted a large cc bike but only had a provisional license.

There have been many reasons for riding (driving ?) an outfit over the years, but most people can find even more reasons to avoid them !

I had a traumatic experience on a borrowed outfit at an early age :shock: and I've never been tempted by one since.

They can look interesting, but I could never be tempted ! :mrgreen:

I've always fancied a combo, but never had the courage to buy one purely for the fact that you become no different than a car when stuck in traffic.

There are a ton of bikers who do this to their bikes, make filtering next to impossible. And without any real benefit aside from "looking the part" outfitting their bikes with oversized corn beef cans on scaffolding. Looking like Ewan and thingy ready for the long way round before a ride down to Waitrose for croissants. Standing up for the speed humps, (obviously) and if they can go over the kerb they get extra kudos for going "off road".

Spray on mud, anyone?

If/when you get the hang of it they can be real fun!

You can accelerate really hard in more situations than a solo.

If you get a left- hander right, with the car in the air just floating nicely,

it puts a proper grin on your face :lol:

When you get it wrong and flip the car completely it hurts!! :(

I've done both but thankfully the first more often ! :lol: :thumb:

As an apprentice one of the guys had a Vespa with a sidecar

Taking a lift with him was both terrifying & exhilarating in equal measure.

It made me laugh and scream ... but when it was snowing / icy it was loads better than a bike

I can remember standing in the chair & leaning over the back wheel to get grip in the snow & pulling doughnuts until I got sick on the college drive.

Would I do it now? .... would I fcuk !!