Throttle won’t snap back

JesterPilgrim

Hey team. I fitted heated grips today. It was actually a doddle. But now the throttle doesn’t snap back. Not sure what I’ve done - it’s behaving like a kind of cruise control now. The heated grips aren’t catching on anything, so that can be ruled out. Any ideas?

Hey team. I fitted heated grips today. It was actually a doddle.

Hmmm. .....it obviously wasn't, was it? As ever, the only cause can lie in what you have disturbed. Does the throttle move freely if you disconnect the cables? Did you have to install a new throttle tube? I bet the outer end of the new throttle grip is fouling on the bar end or the inboard end is rubbing on the switch block somewhere. Diligence will pay.

I would suggest that the heated grips are catching on something but that has been ruled out . It is remotely possible that the grip has squeezed the throttle tube so tightly that it is gripping the handlebar but I can't quite see that happening. So , as with many queries of this nature, I've no idea . If I had my hands on it I expect I could figure it out and fix it in a jiffy but with nothing more to go on than the brief description provided I can't offer any further ideas. Good luck.

some bar ends actually expand the handlebar when tightened ... As said previously undo the bar end and test ... it may just need a fraction less tightness which will be sufficent to retain the bar end but allow grip to turn .

if concerned you can always threadlock the bar end .

make sure your cable routing doesn't impede the throttles action .

So, I've checked that the grips aren't fouling on anything, the cables aren't restricting anything, and the bar end tightness has no effect. So I imagine the problem is somewhere along the throttle cable, which is way out of my comfort zone, so I'm taking it to the shop on Tuesday! Thanks all.

Before taking it to a garage, its worth having a look to see if the push cable has popped out of the throttle body.

Trace the throttle cable from the handlebar down to the engine and you should see it goes to something that will look similar to this

221239805_download(1).jpeg.882432f2e08f369c0aebdeae5e09c5e4.jpeg

Have a look around and you should be able to tell quite easily if something to do with those two cables has popped out of place like on the photo below

download.jpeg.6f686a6c8181f731c350c0fad459cc97.jpeg

Before taking it to a garage, its worth having a look to see if the push cable has popped out of the throttle body.

Took a good look, it's all connected but appears a little slack on the return. Not sure what to do about that. Feel out of my depth.

Took a good look, it's all connected but appears a little slack on the return. Not sure what to do about that. Feel out of my depth.

So get stuck in and fettle your bike starting with lubricating your cables . How are you ever going to gain any experience ? It's not like you're replacing crankshaft shell bearings, it's just a sticky throttle , how hard can it be ? Has it occurred to you that it might have been like that all along ? I recently installed Slinky Glide throttle cables and now my throttle snaps back instantly. Well guess what? I wish I hadn't bothered! It's a pain in the arse , or rather the arm , to hold the throttle grip in the right position. A bit of friction isn't necessarily a bad thing , after all you don't take your hand off the grip when riding do you ? What you actually do is push the grip forward . So why not just go for a ride and stop worrying.

So get stuck in and fettle your bike starting with lubricating your cables . How are you ever going to gain any experience ? It's not like you're replacing crankshaft shell bearings, it's just a sticky throttle , how hard can it be ? Has it occurred to you that it might have been like that all along ? I recently installed Slinky Glide throttle cables and now my throttle snaps back instantly. Well guess what? I wish I hadn't bothered! It's a pain in the arse , or rather the arm , to hold the throttle grip in the right position. A bit of friction isn't necessarily a bad thing , after all you don't take your hand off the grip when riding do you ? What you actually do is push the grip forward . So why not just go for a ride and stop worrying.

I found the same on long runs at speed so I’ve fitted Scottoiler Crampbusters to both bikes. They work a treat.

I found the same on long runs at speed so I’ve fitted Scottoiler Crampbusters to both bikes. They work a treat.

I've been toying with the idea of fitting a push bike Ergo grip to my throttle. I would have to really stretch it to get it over the throttle tube but the effect would be similar to a Crampbuster. ( Possibly )

I have found the reason why my the throttle tube was sticky, the throttle tube was jammed far too in on the handlebar, resulting the actual grips rubbing the ends of the handle bar, moving the whole assembly 2-3mm to the right solved the problem instantly(the garage has installed the heated grips, bad, bad!). There was no grease where the throttle tube spins and contacts the handlebar, i have put some lithium soap grease there liberally and on the cables, the throttle is effortless and snaps back in an instant. I have also sprayed some grease on the throttle body spring, just to keep that one in check.

Happy days.

[mention]fastbob[/mention]

I bought one of these ones for around a fiver and on the motorway or steady speeds you can keep a steady throttle without effort.

It lives under the seat now! :lol:

61Us6vt-ovL._SY355_.jpg

I've been toying with the idea of fitting a push bike Ergo grip to my throttle. I would have to really stretch it to get it over the throttle tube but the effect would be similar to a Crampbuster. ( Possibly )

So what's stopping the whole thing moving including the switch gear ? Shouldn't there be a peg that locates in a little hole in the handlebar ? There is on both my bikes .